AEW Full Gear 2021 - Target Centre Minnesota - November 14th(Sunday) 12:00pm (Fite time)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if many people take notice of Dave Meltzer's match ratings but he's lost his god damn mind giving the Jurassic Express/Cage Vs The Bucks/Adam Cole match 5 stars.

He's also given the Inner Circle Vs American Top Team and Black/Andrade Vs Rhodes/PAC matches 4 stars aswell.

Absoloute madness.

I'm not sure if many people take notice of Dave Meltzer's match ratings but he's lost his god damn mind giving the Jurassic Express/Cage Vs The Bucks/Adam Cole match 5 stars.

He's also given the Inner Circle Vs American Top Team and Black/Andrade Vs Rhodes/PAC matches 4 stars aswell.

Absoloute madness.
Yeah I think it was a good show but you could knock 1-1.5 stars off each of his ratings EXCEPT MJF vs Darby which I personally would rate a 5.

Absoloute madness.

I don’t agree with a few of his ratings but they are his ratings. His opinion.

Agree. Why people jump up and down so much about it is mind boggling. I wouldn't have given these matches that high of a rating either but if he wants to then who gives s**t.

muse his ratings as a guide. Sometimes I agree with his ratings. Sometimes I think wow. One of the wow ones was not giving the Undertaker/Michaels match 5 stars. Then with his Steamboat/Flair match ratings, I thought they were pretty spot on.

Agree. Why people jump up and down so much about it is mind boggling. I wouldn't have given these matches that high of a rating either but if he wants to then who gives sh*t.
That's all well and good but for a long time people have brandished about his ratings as some sort of legitimate metric and they have helped to the frame perceptions of what constitutes good and bad wrestling. ProfightDB will place them alongside matches and use them to create rankings of the best wrestlers. The wrestlers themselves give it legitimacy when they beg the guy for stars, complain he didn't give them enough and celebrate when he awards five stars.

So I think it's good to point out how ridiculous they are because it helps them to lose that perception of legitimacy, neutrality and objectiveness, and that will help in moving away from discussions about good and bad that is predicated on the opinions and preferences of one man whose tastes are questionable. I personally find it extremely difficult to understand how he enjoys Bucks matches as much as he does.

I'd love if in the future we could have discussions about the respective merits and quality of matches/wrestlers without anyone feeling it necessary to resort to "well, Meltzer said this match got 6 stars and this one got 5.75 stars and this guy averages 4.5 stars and this guy 4.8", because it will universally be regarded as nothing more than another person's opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back