Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 11 - Swans v Tigers Fri May 27th 7:50pm EST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you think it means by

"
After a field Umpire has signalled that play has come to an end, any field Umpire may
award a Free Kick to any Player when a Player is preparing to Kick or in the act of Kicking
for Goal. In such cases, the following shall apply"

The wording makes it impossible for "end of play" to be after a goal.

Play ending is the finishing of ANY quarter, including the fourth.

Thank you anyway.

Did you see anywhere in that rule, "after the siren"?

Yes because it's not. It's as simple as that an invalidates all of your other posts.

Go check the rules on 50s too

A little hint, I could give away a free kick, my teammate gives away another free kick further up the ground, it's a separate free kick for 50

Or

My teammate wanders into the protective zone, a separate free for 50 is paid

Please tell me you understand this simple concept

Different circumstances.

The Pie supporter is talking about Ginnivan being clipped in the head by that Richmond hero who was suspended. As the umpire said he couldnt pay the free as the siren had gone.

You can award a 50m penalty after the siren, for the exact reason you are claiming someone encroaching on the mark...which unfairly impedes play.

The point, that many seem to miss, is that the kicking the ball into the crowd post siren to celebrate the win doesnt meet any of the criteria of impeding player, delaying game or being unsportsmanlike.

So yes the nervous nelly umpire asked, should it be 50, and he was put in his box by the senior umpire who actually understands the intent of law 19 as it is written.

Players often kick the ball into the crowd post siren when celebrating a close game....nobody ever has mentioned that being an unsportsmanlike gesture, it is pure joy and celebration.
Yeah, when the game is over. It wasn't in this case. Not the same.

There's no point arguing. If that was paid it would've been a farcical way to end the game. You have a player kicking the ball in celebration after the siren a split second after a rubbish freekick was paid 90 metres from goal. To have an umpire put you in a scoring position at that point would be a pure blight on the game.

On one hand everyone complains about over umpiring, the next you want rubbish technical freekicks paid. Make your minds up.

Already stated, a free can't be paid after the siren, what don't you get
50m penalties can be paid after the siren, if warranted....to ensure players arent unfailry imepeded in taking a kick.

However, on this occassion no 50m penalty was warranted....It wasnt unsportsmanlike conduct to celebrate a win, it wasnt impeding any Richmond player, and it didnt delay time (as none left to delay).

Go check the rules on 50s too

A little hint, I could give away a free kick, my teammate gives away another free kick further up the ground, it's a separate free kick for 50

Or

My teammate wanders into the protective zone, a separate free for 50 is paid

Please tell me you understand this simple concept
Ok pal you believe that if you like. Enjoy your fantasy.

50m penalties can be paid after the siren, if warranted....to ensure players arent unfailry imepeded in taking a kick.

However, on this occassion no 50m penalty was warranted....It wasnt unsportsmanlike conduct to celebrate a win, it wasnt impeding any Richmond player, and it didnt delay time (as none left to delay).

Completely separate debate

A "50" is a standalone free kick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However, on this occassion no 50m penalty was warranted....It wasnt unsportsmanlike conduct to celebrate a win, it wasnt impeding any Richmond player, and it didnt delay time (as none left to delay)

A few people have said this, so apologies for replying to yours specifically.

The rule doesn't mention time. It mentions play. Sure, it is unlikely Prestia can kick it threw 12 players from 65-75, though it is even more unlikely he kicks it threw 22 players from that distance. As per the rules, the kicking of the ball into the stand does (even unintentionally) delay the game, regardless of playing time left.

Yeah, when the game is over. It wasn't in this case. Not the same.
The ball was on the wing, siren sounded and Sydney were ahead by 6...the game was over.

It is fun watching Tigers trying to contort themselves to try and align the scenario as being the same as if it occurred 7min into the 3rd quarter.

The ONLY reason he boots the ball into the crowd is because the siren sounded and the game was over!!

As soon as the siren sounded the entire intent of law 19, the 50m penalty, is done.

The rule doesn't mention time. It mentions play. Sure, it is unlikely Prestia can kick it threw 12 players from 65-75, though it is even more unlikely he kicks it threw 22 players from that distance. As per the rules, the kicking of the ball into the stand does (even unintentionally) delay the game, regardless of playing time left.
From the AFL site
Screenshot_20220528-003737_Chrome.jpg

I think to the letter of the law it should have been 50. Would've been a hollow draw (potentially) but also a fitting result after that game.

It's a shame that the decision/non decision will be what is talked about all week.

The umpiring was atrocious both ways, yet again. I'm sick of it. Can anyone tell me what Reids free to open the scoring was for? I really hope it wasn't captured on the replays cos what we saw in TV, might well be the worst free I've ever seen. And Riolis free against for that 'bump' get ****ed.

What is funny though is in a game where Richmond get 30 free kicks they still don't win the free kick count 🤣

Two sides on the bottom of the ladder in the free kick differential.

No surprise we had over 60 tonight.

Absolutely woeful and truthfully its never been as bad as 2022.

19. FIFTY METRE PENALTY
19.1 SPIRIT AND INTENTION
After a Mark or Free Kick has been awarded to a Player, a Fifty Metre Penalty will be
awarded against the opposing Team which delays or impedes the play, or behaves
in an unsportsmanlike manner.

The siren was the act that delayed play, no siren and Swans player doesnt kick the ball into the crowd in celebration...why would he give away an OOF free kick??

It would have been completely against the spirit and intention to award a 50m penalty for that action...hence correct that the senior umpire directed the nervous nelly not to award a 50.

I think to the letter of the law it should have been 50. Would've been a hollow draw (potentially) but also a fitting result after that game.

It's a shame that the decision/non decision will be what is talked about all week.

The umpiring was atrocious both ways, yet again. I'm sick of it. Can anyone tell me what Reids free to open the scoring was for? I really hope it wasn't captured on the replays cos what we saw in TV, might well be the worst free I've ever seen. And Riolis free against for that 'bump' get ducked.

Agreed, the Reid free kick wasn't there, poor decision

Back