Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 11 - Swans v Tigers Fri May 27th 7:50pm EST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The rules state….

A 50 cannot be payed after the siren.
A similar situation happened earlier in the year to the pies and the ump was heard to say on the mic “I wish I could but the rules say I can’t!”

So as soon as the siren went….no 50 can be paid.

No point going at the umps.
How about we direct the vitriol to the AFL?!?
So you don't have to stand on the mark for a shot after the siren? You can run over the mark in a shot after the siren? Not even let them take a kick because you can't give away 50 so why not just tackle them.
Of course it can be paid 50

Well they made Prestia take the free kick, but haven't actually giving him the kick or contested possession in the stat book yet...

The rules state….

A 50 cannot be payed after the siren.
A similar situation happened earlier in the year to the pies and the ump was heard to say on the mic “I wish I could but the rules say I can’t!”

So as soon as the siren went….no 50 can be paid.

No point going at the umps.
How about we direct the vitriol to the AFL?!?

So just deliberately stand 15m over the mark for a kick after the siren? Or tackle the kicker as he runs in? Throw a mouth guard or shoe at the kicker?

Still no 50m because it is after the siren?

It's only when the umpire hears it
It's amazing how many people don't realize that. And, importantly, the quarter ends when the first field umpire (on the field and off - ie emergency) hears it - it doesn't have to be the field umpire in control.

If you’re taking a shot from 60 to win a game, would you rather kick over the current 10 swans players inside 50. Or the 18 that flood back after the ball is retrieved from the stands?
The siren had gone. By the time the umpire had lined him up etc everyone would be back. You technically have a point but it is clutching at straws big time. It was further than 60. He wasn't getting close.

No win situation with that last call. To my mind the right call was made. If you pay that on a technicality, it is merely playing into the underlying belief that the game is being umpired without a feel for what is happening out there. If you do pay it, I think it becomes a bigger drama in the end because regardless of the letter of the law, right or wrong, Richmond were not going to tie that up in normal play, and the commentary would be that Sydney were wronged because of a poor rule/poor interpretation of a rule that isn't in keeping with what is essentially 'fair'. Besides, for all their complaining, if Richmond did get a 50 and kicked a goal after their carry on, I think some of the players would be pretty embarrassed about it all, because it wasn't deserved, and would be a very cheap way to get a draw.

It’s harsh in this instance to pay it though. It’s clear as day he’s just overjoyed and elated at the result that he’s smashed his foot through the ball. It’d be extremely harsh to effectively overturn a result when it’s clear to everyone watching what occurred (bar the commentary and Tiges players)
Harsh but correct

I’d agree if Lynch went a few weeks ago for the same thing

You taking the Mick? Personally I thought Lynch was in strife too but he had the ball and was clearly freeing his arm for a handball in the tackle. Still clumsy and deserved a week maybe, but it was clumsy and IN PLAY.

How is that the same as Franklin just smacking someone in the face when the ball is nowhere nearby?

Please take your bias out of any response.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t play over when the umpire hears the siren, not when he signals it as it takes a second or two for the signal?

That’s why they alwys consult on tight end of quarter calls as to whether they heard it.

Nope. According to the AFL laws handbook, the umpires must acknowledge they heard the siren by blowing the whistle and holding both arms above their head:

10.4.1 End of Quarter The Timekeepers shall sound the siren to signal the end of a quarter until a field Umpire or the emergency Umpire acknowledges the siren and brings play to an end, by blowing a whistle and holding both arms above their head.

Shouldn’t have been a free in the first place, if they had paid a 50 after the game was over I would have considered buying some fertiliser and doing some googling…

Brad Scott told us that there would be no common sense or individual leniency.
Free kicks and 50s would be paid to the letter of the law.
And therein has always lied the problem.

AFL House not able to explain the subjectivity of the game. Nor admit that umpires make myriad mistakes every game.

Brad Scott is one of the worst messengers for this sort of role.

50 has to be paid. Same scenario could happen and you can kick it out of the stands to get your players time to get back on the goal line to defend a kick from max distance. (Imagine it was an open goal line) pay it he same way. Every. Time.
The 50m is paid for time wasting, if the siren has gone you have no time to waste.

The ball is dead post siren, you cant waste time.

Back