Autopsy AFL 2023 First Qualifying Final - Pies v Demons Thurs Sept 7th 7:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 86 34.0%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 92 36.4%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This game was a mirror of the Cats Pies QF last year….
In what way? Cats couldn't get out of second gear all night, yet came from behind and won when it mattered.

Dees dominated everywhere but the scoreboard, and the Pies held off a late charge and did well taking their chances early.

Only similarity between the two games is the winner of this was/is likely to win the flag.

Bad Luck Dees.

It was a frustrating game to watch from a dees fans perspective. Dominated large chunks of the night but quite simply couldn't kick the damn ball through the goals. Ed Langdon, Pickett, Fritsch, Tom Mcdonald with horrendous misses. but bad kicking is bad football.

Pies deserved to win but I'm proud of us dees for pushing the pies late despite being without Brayshaw and playing like trash for 90% of the game. Worst performance of the year quite possibly.

Maynard has nothing to worry about. I'm not even sure why people are talking about it? No case to answer.
Classy post.

Regards

S. Pete

That comment is rubbish.

Maynard was in the air flailing trying to spoil the ball. Brayshaw was running with momentum kicking the ball forward. If Maynard doesn’t brace after missing the spoil mind you by millimetres then he is cleaned up.

Football incident move on, JVR on the other hand 🤷‍♂️
Na, if Maynard doesn't lead with his shoulder there is a collision and they both get up and play on.

In what way? Cats couldn't get out of second gear all night, yet came from behind and won when it mattered.

Dees dominated everywhere but the scoreboard, and the Pies held off a late charge and did well taking their chances early.

Only similarity between the two games is the winner of this was/is likely to win the flag.

Stats would suggest otherwise on that one. Match was a lot closer.

Collingwood dominated first half. Dees second half. A bit of a 50/50 game imo.

I really dislike maynard and am not a collingwood supporter at all but it's a football act plain and simple. He jumped up to spoil and turned and braced for impact on the way down to the ground to protect himself.

It's really upsetting for Brayshaw and his family as it could be career ending and is deeply detrimental to Melbourne's finals chances.

Another reality however is bad kicking is bad football and if the Demons players had just shown a little bit more composure they would have won the game likely with a 4-5 goal margin.

The act that really should be getting a lot of attention is Cox taking out/tackling Petracca's leg. That is not a football incident, is very dangerous and could very easily have caused a 12+ month injury.

JVR's cheap shot in season probably gets a week but probably just a fine because it's finals.

Will be a very interesting elimination final as Melbourne really gave it their all and look to have a few players who will be carrying injuries or at the very least still be feeling this match next week.

I doubt it's an easy win but if Carlton get an easy win over the swans it would be one of the very few times that I would have the elim final winner as a slight favourite over the qualifying final loser.

Maynard screaming at a player on the ground. Bloke brings the game into disrepute with his weak acts every weak. Its an awful look for the game.
Who brings it into disrepute? Maynard?
Or the guy that clearly decided he’d fake a head high hit….only to get up and run off.
….pretty sure that, when you think about it…you’ll wish you hadn’t posted this. Quality and definitely aimed at the right person! Grats.

Bad luck Dees was a pretty hot contest all night.

I'm amazed by the comments in this thread in regards to umpiring how did Collingwood get the rub? I can't believe how bad the umpiring was, how many were missed and how many throws were allowed.

Take the throws and free kicks leading to Melbourne goals they got a great run.

Anyway onto the next haters.

Last edited:
Haven't watched a heap of Melbourne this year, but it felt like they slipped back into old habits tonight. Was Melksham a massive loss considering how well he had been playing? If they had a functional forwardline they wouldn't lose a game, everywhere else they play premiership winning football, it was frustrating to watch even as a neutral.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Maynard gets cited the game is a joke
Players have been suspended for much less because of outcome rather than any common sense. Bedford just this last week only got off on appeal for a footballing act that Fisher got straight back up from.

If they’re consistent he’s gone for a minimum of 2 weeks, but no doubt they’ll turn a blind eye because finals and big Vic side.

If anything happens in the Giants/Saints game to some poor fringe player you can bet your house they’ll be all over it trying to make an example of him.

Teams lose the premiership in finals. Melbourne had their opportunities but their kicks on goal were AFLW-esque.

If the head is sacrosanct, then Maynard is out for the season. It was high and reckless. He jumps and landed a shoulder to the opponents head. Sports like rugby league and rugby union have immediate send off whether or not it was intentional. If the AFL are serious about foul play causing head injuries, then he will be gone.

Collingwood are a sensational defensive team, so some credit to the likes of Moore and Quaynor for it. Additionally guys like Pickett and Sparrow were just beaten by pressure at times, whether it was real or imagined.

But yes ultimately
-Fritsch had a bizarre night, 2.2 doesn’t tell the story of how bad he was
-McDonald is not AFL finals tier anymore
-Smith just is pushing to be best 22 at a mid table club, hard for him to really set alight a final
-Van Rooyen is still very much a kid in KF terms

Not surprised they didn’t convert 60 off inside 50s into more.

On the flip side, the Pies will not want to concede field position again like that this finals series. Especially against a Brisbane side with Daniher, Cameron, McCarthy etc. If they get soundly beaten in field position/general play for 3 quarters again, they will not win. Doubt it will, but just saying.
Can't understand how Ben Brown isn't in this team, I know his form isn't that good & maybe he isn't the player he used to be but surely he straightens them up inside 50?

Players have been suspended for much less because of outcome rather than any common sense. Bedford just this last week only got off on appeal for a footballing act that Fisher got straight back up from.

If they’re consistent he’s gone for a minimum of 2 weeks, but no doubt they’ll turn a blind eye because finals and big Vic side.

If anything happens in the Giants/Saints game to some poor fringe player you can bet your house they’ll be all over it trying to make an example of him.
Collingwood have a shocking record of players being suspended in finals and missing the grand final. Off the top of my head- Phil Carman missed two grand finals, Anthony Rocca missed the 2003 GF, Jason Cloke missed the 2002 GF so I'm not sure your theory means much.

Bad luck Dees was a pretty hot contest all night.

I'm amazed by the comments in this thread in regards to umpiring how did Collingwood get the rub? I can't believe how bad the umpiring was, how many were missed and how many throws were allowed.

Take the throws and free kicks leading to Melbourne goals they got a great run.

Anyway onto the next haters.
I definitely don't think Collingwood got the beat of the umpiring. I thought it was well umpired. Melbourne got a lot of frees but I think the majority were there. no howlers in front of goal or anything.

I really dislike maynard and am not a collingwood supporter at all but it's a football act plain and simple. He jumped up to spoil and turned and braced for impact on the way down to the ground to protect himself.

It's really upsetting for Brayshaw and his family as it could be career ending and is deeply detrimental to Melbourne's finals chances.

Another reality however is bad kicking is bad football and if the Demons players had just shown a little bit more composure they would have won the game likely with a 4-5 goal margin.

The act that really should be getting a lot of attention is Cox taking out/tackling Petracca's leg. That is not a football incident, is very dangerous and could very easily have caused a 12+ month injury.

JVR's cheap shot in season probably gets a week but probably just a fine because it's finals.

Will be a very interesting elimination final as Melbourne really gave it their all and look to have a few players who will be carrying injuries or at the very least still be feeling this match next week.

I doubt it's an easy win but if Carlton get an easy win over the swans it would be one of the very few times that I would have the elim final winner as a slight favourite over the qualifying final loser.
Hopefully Brayshaws brothers and old man will get around Maynard and pray that he will get through the pain and anguish.

horrendous defensively. basically a taller Tom Mcdonald.
All he needs to do is either compete, mark it or bring it to ground. he never should be in the team to put on pressure.
He was a 2021 premiership player with you guys. I think that's what Dees are missing a taller option to make Moore etc honest.

All he needs to do is either compete, mark it or bring it to ground. he never should be in the team to put on pressure.
He was a 2021 premiership player with you guys. I think that's what Dees are missing a taller option to make Moore etc honest.
yeah but he is a poor mark, he doesn't even half contests. If he played tonight, Darcy Moore would've had about 10 intercept marks. Brown will retire before next season. He's completely cooked. Alongside Mcdonald.

I agree that we need another tall forward. Dude, every dees fan has known that for 2 years 😀

This is why the Petty injury will be the day we lost the premiership. He was our whole structure.

horrendous defensively. basically a taller Tom Mcdonald.
Yet McDonald still got a game. I’m taking Brown and Grundy over Smith and McDonald for sure. They may not be the greatest forward pairing of all time but at least they’re AFL level footballers

Back