• Afternoon

Votes: 211 62.6%
  • Twilight

Votes: 96 28.5%
  • Night

Votes: 30 8.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yesterday was just a perfect day of footy, i get more people watch it at night, but being there for the first time i now get the love for a 2:30 bounce. It was magic.
That’s the thing, for the actual supporters at the game nothing better than the traditional 2.30pm start. Have lunch and a few drinks at a nearby pub and then if you are lucky enough to win can actually head out afterwards to celebrate.
However the afl doesn’t really care about supporters at games, they are merely there for background noise so I expect a night or twilight grand final will be thrust upon us soon.

I'm ok with twilight as long as they promise night is never an option.

Purely because night doesn't give supporters or people involved with the club time to celebrate properly after and have functions that night.

Gonna steal my post from the Port thread on the subject:

In regards to the Grand Final start time, there's always this assumption that putting it later will result in higher ratings. Will it though? I know I'm not the target market, being someone that will watch it regardless, but I find it hard to believe there is a significant amount of people that would be compelled to watch the game purely because it's a Twilight or Night game. Like, I get that on a regular Saturday, the night rates higher, but being a Grand Final, which is an event in itself, surely the lions share of people that want to watch it do even if it's during the day. It's very anecdotal but not once in my years on this planet have I felt more compelled to watch the NRL grand final purely because it's on at night. In fact I wonder if you'd lose a certain age group of watchers putting it on a Saturday night and disrupting peoples Saturday night plans?

That all being said, I've come around to a Twilight Grand Final. I normally host the day at mine, and a later start means people can run errands in the morning and still get round in time to grab a BBQ, have a kick outside, etc. Twilight still makes it a day event but it means we don't have to pull things together in the morning if we don't want to. Also makes it a more palatable time for WA, who I imagine have had it quite awkward for years.

Start the day with an AFL reserves Grand Final at 11 or so Melbourne time for the traditionalists and the people that get there early, that and the presos will wrap up by 2:30, then do two hours of Pre-Game stuff including the retiring players, grand final sprint, the local based entertainment (continue to give the likes of G-Flip, Budjarra, etc the chance to perform), teams come out around 4:30 for a 4:45 start, put the big name entertainment at half time as the sun goes down, second half entirely under lights. Game finishes around 7:30, all the ceremony and such will be done by 8:30. Still early enough to not be prohibitive to families or those looking for a night out but probably results in a better event. Might as well go for it at this point.

I think a 4.45 - 5pm bounce down would be incredible...it will finish at approximately 7.30 pm and plenty of time for celebration. The after-match will be unbelievable. People will get home before 10-11 pm no matter where they live. It's only a matter of time before it becomes a full night match at 7 pm - 7.15 pm bounce down.

Gonna steal my post from the Port thread on the subject:

In regards to the Grand Final start time, there's always this assumption that putting it later will result in higher ratings. Will it though? I know I'm not the target market, being someone that will watch it regardless, but I find it hard to believe there is a significant amount of people that would be compelled to watch the game purely because it's a Twilight or Night game. Like, I get that on a regular Saturday, the night rates higher, but being a Grand Final, which is an event in itself, surely the lions share of people that want to watch it do even if it's during the day. It's very anecdotal but not once in my years on this planet have I felt more compelled to watch the NRL grand final purely because it's on at night. In fact I wonder if you'd lose a certain age group of watchers putting it on a Saturday night and disrupting peoples Saturday night plans?

That all being said, I've come around to a Twilight Grand Final. I normally host the day at mine, and a later start means people can run errands in the morning and still get round in time to grab a BBQ, have a kick outside, etc. Twilight still makes it a day event but it means we don't have to pull things together in the morning if we don't want to. Also makes it a more palatable time for WA, who I imagine have had it quite awkward for years.

Start the day with an AFL reserves Grand Final at 11 or so Melbourne time for the traditionalists and the people that get there early, that and the presos will wrap up by 2:30, then do two hours of Pre-Game stuff including the retiring players, grand final sprint, the local based entertainment (continue to give the likes of G-Flip, Budjarra, etc the chance to perform), teams come out around 4:30 for a 4:45 start, put the big name entertainment at half time as the sun goes down, second half entirely under lights. Game finishes around 7:30, all the ceremony and such will be done by 8:30. Still early enough to not be prohibitive to families or those looking for a night out but probably results in a better event. Might as well go for it at this point.
It's more for the casual fan, and there's a lot of them in NSW and Queensland. As a reasonably casual Rugby fan, theres no way I would've watched as many State of Origin and NRL Grandfinals if it was at 2pm on a Saturday - cos Saturdays my day off and that's when a lot of people can do their hobbies and s**t. Whereas now they've got it on such a tv friendly timeslot , I figure may as well flick it on.
And who knows, some casual fans might chuck on the AFL GF , see a great game and become fans.

That being said, I'd be shattered if they moved it to night time. And moving it away from Saturday would be even worse. But I don't think they'll ever do that, I went to the city on Saturday night and the place was buzzing with tons of Geelong fans everywhere and a good chunk of that goes if it's ever on a Sunday.

I've come around to twilight too, you still get the best of both worlds. You can kick the footy before the game, have BBQs and still go out afterwards. I pretty did that with my mates for Syd vs Coll PF twilight game and it grouse as.

Hearing whateley waffle on about the ratings this morning and this was the last afternoon grand final. No mention of the fact the last 2 grand finals we were in lockdown so everyone watching at home.
Definitely a media agenda with the push for twilight and night grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they take into consideration internet viewers? They barred a lot of people from viewing the game, online. TV is losing a lot of viewership, not sure why they're not acknowledging that.

I think a 4.45 - 5pm bounce down would be incredible...it will finish at approximately 7.30 pm and plenty of time for celebration. The after-match will be unbelievable. People will get home before 10-11 pm no matter where they live. It's only a matter of time before it becomes a full night match at 7 pm - 7.15 pm bounce down.
The aesthetic of twilight is poor. Always will remind me of the irrelevant Sunday home and away match and just doesn't look good lighting wise. The entire game being played at day or night is better.

Last edited:
The aesthetic of twilight is poor. Always will remind me of the irrelevant Sunday home and away match. The entire game being played at day or night is better.

You like the aesthetics of a shade across the ground the entire game and crap pointless fireworks? Twilight gives the best aesthetics out of all of them, sun going down, lights on at the ground and in the city, better for entertainment, it's actually in primetime. It's an absolute no brainer.

You like the aesthetics of a shade across the ground the entire game and crap pointless fireworks? Twilight gives the best aesthetics out of all of them, sun going down, lights on at the ground and in the city, better for entertainment, it's actually in primetime. It's an absolute no brainer.
Lol there was loads of shade and poor/inconsistent lighting (before half time) across the 2021 Twilight GF, what are you on about? And no, night time would make more sense. Why do you think almost every other sport has their championship game at night time? Although, I prefer the day time aesthetic.

Lol there was loads of shade and poor/inconsistent lighting (before half time) across the 2021 Twilight GF, what are you on about? And no, night time would make more sense. Why do you think almost every other sport has their championship game at night time? Although, I prefer the day time aesthetic.

I was taking note when watching the other day as to the time and when it hit 4.30 pm the majority of the ground was nicely shaded. Sun setting behind the stands, but more than enough light to know it was daytime. It was perfect.

I’m a twilight convert. I think a 4:10pm bounce would actually be ideal. Still allows people to get together at lunchtime and have a BBQ and then the game finishes around 7pm.

I am staunchly against the night Grand Final. The 2021 game confirmed tht for me. Whilst I loved the game itself, a 10:30pm finish on the East Coast was way too late. It was a long wait for the game to start.

If the game started at 4-5pm, it would be a much better slot for both east and Weat Coast.

Interesting to ponder if this year’s snorefest was twilight, would it have killed off twilight forever? Assuming exact same game
Imagine getting nice and pissed, "warming up the vocal chords" all morning, putting the beers away and getting into spirits in preparation for some grand final football and 5 minutes into the game Sydney Swan is crying and it's over, what a waste of a day.

At least with arvo grand final you can put the beer down, have a nana nap then start the weekend :thumbsu:

Back