Game Day AFL Marsh Series: Week 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Balta and Chol were extremely disappointing.

All the talk coming out of the Richmond intraclub was about how much deep the current list is.

We did not see that today.

I was expecting more from Riley Collier-Dawkins. Wasn't he the guy Tom Morris told us to watch out for and Dimma said is like Patrick Dangerfield?

All that talk and he gets 8 disposals and one clearance....
I genuinely hope this is trying to bait and not actually using the first preseason game as the sample size as concern for depth.

Balta and Chol were extremely disappointing.

All the talk coming out of the Richmond intraclub was about how much deep the current list is.

We did not see that today.

I was expecting more from Riley Collier-Dawkins. Wasn't he the guy Tom Morris told us to watch out for and Dimma said is like Patrick Dangerfield?

All that talk and he gets 8 disposals and one clearance....
Balta and Chol were indeed disappointing. RCD did some nice things, but we probably need to temper expectations with him because he is still getting used to his sudden growth spurt in his draft year. Yeah he has put on a lot of kilos now but I don't think we can make a call on him in just one preseason game.

We don't have the midfield depth that Collingwood and GWS have right now, and this is not based on our preseason game. Most of our midfielders outside of the best 22 are either in their first or second year and players so inexperienced are not usually the ones to shine in the midfield. We could have good KPP and ruck depth if we don't have our best 22 KPFs all missing like we did today.

The place we have good depth however in is small-midsized defenders and forwards.

I think the way our depth looks is largely to do with the fact that Richmond have opted to rebuild on the run lately so they are bringing in a lot of skinny teenagers into the club rather than bringing in players ready for senior action like experienced players from other clubs and mature-aged state level players. The way I see it, the club is looking long term in the hope that we will have those players ready to step in by the time Cotchin, Riewoldt etc. retire.

It's a good strategy IMO given that our best players are durable, so we generally don't have to worry about our depth/inexperience problems while these kids are developing.

Good hit out for us.
I like Ross in the middle - he will make a decent 2nd stringer when Dusty Cotchin and Edwards return. Ditto Pickett.

Our forward line was a shambles. I wonder if Lynch and Riewoldt would have been better targets than Mabior today. Probably. Dimma could have cheated to compete and play Caddy up there but stuck to plan to having him as the running winger on the far side.

I really liked Baker off the half back/wing. Thought he did some good things. He might push further toward the wing position with Houli returning.

Balta looks like he’s going to be hit or miss in key defence this year, but I think we ride it out like we did with rance as a junior.

Great to see Higgins back also but he understandably looked underdone.

For round one the only change i see to our flag team would be Balta for Ellis, with Baker playing wing. Graham and Stack on the cusp.

Some of the Pies kids looked good. That bloke at CHB impressed but i think he will be depth this year with Moore and Howe coming back. The Irish guy looked decent as well, but I think he too will be depth. Cox looked dangerous too. Hopefully he has a good run with injuries this year.

Cameron looks a find and I think he may play some games this year if Buckley decides to go super tall. Very impressive.

Hopefully the injury to Treloar isn’t too bad.
Baker looked bloody good down back.

Baker looked bloody good down back.
Yeh I like Baker. He's just small which can be a worry in defence.

I thought Collingwoods depth without Pendles, Grundy and Sidebottom in the middle was awesome. They genuinely have so many guys that can go through there.

And you've made a few over the years
Everyone's human, mistakes are part of life. What matters is how you move on from your mistakes and how you learn from them.
If you do it well, the lessons you learn from mistakes contribute to your future success.

While my post was a bit of a pisstake as I don't believe in quotas or teams being 'due for a loss' as many seem to, it does lead to the more serious point that Richmond has not lost to a team twice in any season in the last 3 years. I think it paints a great picture of the way my club learns from its errors now, after an extended period of falling into the same mistakes time and time again. It is a testament to the people we have running our club for turning it all around. I hope it becomes entrenched in the club and we can emulate the extended success of modern on-field powerhouses such as Hawthorn and West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts on yesterday:

- Gold Coast seem to have the same issues as last year - they can dominate the general play but struggle going inside 50. They need to be more efficient than 66 inside 50s for only 71 points if they want to markedly improve. However, there are a lot of positive signs for them.

- If the preseason is anything to go by, then Adelaide might struggle this year. Their midfield copped a bathing and struggled to get out of defence. Only place they still seem to be solid in is their forward line. A team like Collingwood would thump them playing like that.

- Melbourne played decently (Petracca’s fantastic), but their passages moving forward break down more often than the likes of West Coast, Collingwood , GWS and Richmond. They’d want to improve that and be a bit more efficient if they want to become a contender. I can see them improving though.

- As for Hawthorn, it seems that the way to defeat them still is by taking their kicking away. The way they played this preseason seems quite similar to last year. The problem for them is that more and more teams are implementing some form of pressure in their gamestyle (Melbourne, Essendon, Gold Coast, Bulldogs, Richmond, St Kilda and Brisbane from what I have seen). They would want to come up with another way to win because these pressure-based gamestyles are the antithesis of Hawthorn’s precision-kicking ball movement. When executed right, Hawthorn are forced into error-riddled passages and are pushed to mark further out from goal and at difficult angles.

Don’t know what this means for the real H&A season, but this is what I took from the preseason.

Both Melbourne and Port probably needed to go 2-0 in the preseason and have done so.

My thoughts on yesterday:

- Gold Coast seem to have the same issues as last year - they can dominate the general play but struggle going inside 50. They need to be more efficient than 66 inside 50s for only 71 points if they want to markedly improve. However, there are a lot of positive signs for them.

- If the preseason is anything to go by, then Adelaide might struggle this year. Their midfield copped a bathing and struggled to get out of defence. Only place they still seem to be solid in is their forward line. A team like Collingwood would thump them playing like that.

- Melbourne played decently (Petracca’s fantastic), but their passages moving forward break down more often than the likes of West Coast, Collingwood , GWS and Richmond. They’d want to improve that and be a bit more efficient if they want to become a contender. I can see them improving though.

- As for Hawthorn, it seems that the way to defeat them still is by taking their kicking away. The way they played this preseason seems quite similar to last year. The problem for them is that more and more teams are implementing some form of pressure in their gamestyle (Melbourne, Essendon, Gold Coast, Bulldogs, Richmond, St Kilda and Brisbane from what I have seen). They would want to come up with another way to win because these pressure-based gamestyles are the antithesis of Hawthorn’s precision-kicking ball movement. When executed right, Hawthorn are forced into error-riddled passages and are pushed to mark further out from goal and at difficult angles.

Don’t know what this means for the real H&A season, but this is what I took from the preseason.

Certainly agree our ball movement going forward is a huge achilles heel, but I'm giving us a small pass for yesterday due to the fact games in Tassie are always pretty ugly due to the wind.

Both Melbourne and Port probably needed to go 2-0 in the preseason and have done so.

Certainly agree our ball movement going forward is a huge achilles heel, but I'm giving us a small pass for yesterday due to the fact games in Tassie are always pretty ugly due to the wind.
Despite the forward ball movement not being perfect, Melbourne is so far much closer to 2018 right now than 2020. I remember how concerning Melbourne’s preseason form was in 2019, so this preseason form is probably a welcome change for Melbourne supporters.

Despite the forward ball movement not being perfect, Melbourne is so far much closer to 2018 right now than 2020. I remember how concerning Melbourne’s preseason form was in 2019, so this preseason form is probably a welcome change for Melbourne supporters.

Praying Langdon and Tomlinson take this form into the real thing, they’ve slotted straight into those wings and made a big difference to the way the side structures up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back