Review AFL NAB Cup Round 1 autopsy - St Kilda / Sydney / Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good:

- Motlop was sensational I thought, if he can keep that up will be a lock for Varcoe's place in the first couple of rounds. Worked hard off the ball and used it really well when he's got it. Has a bit of his brother in him with the dummies and the goose steps but has got the Geelong work ethic.

- Smedts looked pretty handy off half-back, albeit didn't get a stack of ball. The ballet toes were on full display as well. Thought he was probably the best of the kids on half-back although Guthrie and the Hyphenator didn't disgrace themselves.

- Burbury had a nice cameo but Stringer and Walker were the pick of the rookies for me. Walker looks a unit, can take a grab and works hard; Stringer got a stack of ball and while his disposal was a bit awry at times I thought he was our fourth best midfielder behind Selwood, Duncan and Hogan.

The Bad:

- The Great Silence around Tom Hawkins and why he didn't play;

- Got smashed around the stoppages in the St Kilda game by a midfield that was (on paper) no stronger than ours. Still think our prospect pool is light for elite contested players.

- Stokes behind the ball. He didn't play badly but...just never again.

Yep, completely echoed my thoughts from the game from first to last sentence. Top post. :thumbsu:

This has been happening for far too long

Surely the coaches don't want that

My only explanation now is that:

A - Stokes is not following instructions and is running to the wrong place (we know this happens - check the last quarter of the '11 GF where SJ annihilates him for getting in the road) or

B - the opposition is successfully engineering the structure so that Stokes is the single forward option

So(A)your saying neither Thompson, Scott,Harley, Ling,or now Selwood/Bartel or any of the previous leadership groups have any control over Stokes.Or (B)the two coaches that have taken us to 4 of the last 5 Grand finals are being totally out coached.
I'd suggest he's playing exactly the role asked of him like every one else.

My guess is that the club has already decided that Guthrie and Smedts will see a lot of action this year and will need to be managed - that is why they both only played 1 game. Time will tell.

All I know is if the ball gets kicked to him as the single target in the forward line, we win that contest 1 out of ten times
Agree OldStyle - trying to use Stokes as a marking target was one of my biggest frustrations but it largely disappeared last season. Structurally we used Menzel and sometimes Duncan for the spread / lead up forward role as they both have far superior overhead skills and seem to find space as well as Stokes does. I do recall Stokes taking a couple of great grabs on Grover 3-4 years ago so maybe he and the team remember this occasionally !

Remove this Banner Ad

Back