Game Day AFL Semi-Final - Matchday Discussion GWS@Collingwood(MCG – 7:25PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Week two of the finals have arrived, and it’s sudden death from here on out. Collingwood were brave in their trip to Perth last week, and despite dominating for extended periods of the game, couldn’t get it done in the end, losing by 16 points. For GWS, they put on a dominant display against an experienced Swans outfit, restricting the Swans to just two goals, before the Swans kicked a couple late goals.

These two sides last met way back in round two. Coming into the game, both teams were polar opposites in terms of form. Collingwood were coming off an awful loss to the Hawks, whereas the Giants had smashed the Bulldogs in their previous game. Against the odds, Collingwood put on a good performance, but ran out of legs as the Giants won by a couple of goals.

Collingwood

For many Collingwood fans, it was hard to judge how the team performed against the West Coast in Perth. Many fans were proud of how their team played against an experienced finals side, especially in a hostile environment. However, there were extended periods of the game where the Magpies dominated, but couldn’t impact scoreboard, which really hurt them in the long run. Steele Sidebottom was sensational for the Magpies, as was Taylor Adams. In his return game, Tyson Goldsack was also brilliant, holding his own against Josh Kennedy. Despite some thinking that Moore could be a handy addition to the side, Collingwood has decided to leave the team unchanged. The Magpies enjoy a solid record against the Giants. While they’ve lost their past two matches against GWS, both have been very close, and were in situations where the Giants were a far stronger side on paper.

The man to watch this week is Jeremy Howe. Arguably Collingwood’s most important defender, Howe played one of his worst games in the black and white against the Eagles. Poor decisions, miskicks, and dropped marks really hurt Collingwood, and in finals football you can’t afford those mistakes. The Giants have a dangerous forward line, and Howe will need to improve to stop their influence.

GWS

Coming into the finals, many questions were being asked of the Giants. Many questioned whether the players had the right attitude coming into finals, or whether the injuries would be too much. However, the Giants put forth perhaps their best performance for the season, dismantling the Swans in brutal fashion. Toby Greene and Lachie Whitfield were dazzling displays for the Giants. Like Collingwood, GWS are one of the best tackling sides in the competition, averaging 66.8 tackles a game. The Giants are also one of the best inside 50 teams in the league, averaging 54.2 inside 50s a game. Injuries seem to be a weekly thing for the Giants, and this week is no different, with Josh Kelly being ruled out due to injuring his knee. This is a huge blow for the Giants, with many arguing that the Giant’s midfield becomes one-dimensional when he’s not playing. Callan Ward and Coniglio will need to ensure that the loss of Kelly isn’t too great.

The man to watch is Lachie Keeffe. After failing a drug test in 2015, many doubted whether Keeffe would play in the AFL again. However, to his credit he was drafted by GWS and has been gifted a chance to make an impact on the side with a spot in the final 22. Keeffe has been somewhat underwhelming this season, not really excelling in any area. If he is to earn a contract for next season, he’ll need to produce a good performance.

Matchup to watch

Brayden Maynard vs Toby Greene

Toby Greene has copped a lot of heat over the last week, with many criticizing his kicking action when taking marks. However, there is no denying the talent this small forward possesses. Greene has the knack for rising to the occasion when his team needs him. Therefore, it’s a huge task for Maynard who will be given the Greene assignment. Maynard will be looking to nullify the Greene impact, while also trying to play on the offensive out of defense.

Head to Head odds

GWS: $2.45

Collingwood: $1.58

Changes

GWS

IN

Ryan Griffen, Lachlan Keeffe

OUT

Harry Perryman (Omitted), Josh Kelly (Injured)

Collingwood

No change.

TV

Live on Fox Footy, Commercial Free

Live on Channel 7, National.

Radio

3AW
ABC
MMM
SEN

IPTV

AFL Live Pass
Foxtel Now
WatchAFL

Weather

9 °C / 48 °F

Chance of rain: 90%

Showers. Windy.

Tip

Collingwood has received plenty of support from the media over the week, with many predicting an easy Collingwood win. However, this will be closer than expected.

Collingwood by 15

GWS good enough team to beat us tommorow night.

But being in Melbourne and being Possibly Wet thinks it will help us.

We have Treloar/Adams/WHE playing against the Old Side and Reverse for Keeffe.

Pies by 22 pts

Won’t happen this year.

If we win, that’s the true Top 4 left.

Hawthorn should not have been there. Melbourne was the real top 4 side.

My ladder predictor in June had

West Coast
Richmond
Collingwood
Melbourne
Hawthorn

Not too bad for 3 months ago

West Coast
Richmond
Collingwood
Melbourne
Hawthorn

You've got it right again Ed.:thumbsu:

West Coast
Richmond
Collingwood
Melbourne
Hawthorn

that's pretty awesome man.. I means how u did thatn'all

Gonna be a tough game. We need to blanket Cameron. He always kills us. Lets go
Pies by 12 points. De goey to bag 3. Sidey best on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said before the game last week I fear our turnovers by foot and iffy F50 entries may be the deciding factor- in the end I think they were pretty important and will be again. We lose so much hard won momentum with poor disposal.

Howe seems to have a shocker turnover across the ground most weeks but he should hopefully be in better touch than last week - understandably one of his worst games in black and white coming into his first ever final underdone.

I'm backing the coaching staff to have made some adjustments and for Coxy to stand back and move into the ball as he marks it.

GWS are dangerous and I am nervous + surprised at how strong a favourite we are in the betting . I think I might be under rating our chances so I'll back the punters.

Pies by 11 :)

Last edited:
Good luck to the 22 lads who get to pull on the jumper tomorrow night. Do us proud boys and book yourselves a spot against Richmond in the Prelim Final. To all supporters that can get there, get behind the boys and drag them over the line.

Carn the pies!

This will be a street fight. To the very end.

Collingwood by 11 points.

I'm very blasé about today's game. No way we will lose.
I'm more looking forward to giving those Tigers flogs a touch up next week on our way to an easy Grand Final win against the WCE at the G

12 points is how much I have Collingwood to beat WCE after handicapping this game.

I expect us to win this game by over 10 points really but if we go in with the form of last week then. Our season could be over by HT.

Woke up and cant get back to sleep. Argh. I can confirm, this will be 100%, a dry game of footy for those worried about rain. But it will be very cold.

Go the pies
Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back