Rumour AFLW player refuses to wear pride jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would have been if it was an AFL male player with staunch catholic/christian beliefs.

Gary Ablett Jnr and the God Squad at Gold Coast (Swallow etc) got Guy McKenna fired as coach because he refused to allow them to skip training to attend bible reading classes, which seemingly was ignored by the mainstream media.

Funny how Christians/Catholics here are trying to make this about their own so called persecuted faith, when they are BY FAR, the most major and publicly critical of homosexuals and transgender people in Australia

I actually would like the AFL to introduce an annual Pride Round game and jumper for all Men's teams (not just the Swans and Saints) , I would be more than happy for Carlton to have one, but I would be interested to see so many melts from the bible thumpers here who have no interest in LGBT rights, but using this incident as another excuse to bash Haneen and Muslims in general.

I would like to think Adam Saad is enlightened and progressive enough to wear a pride jumper.

So an employee at an Australian business can refuse to work with someone homosexual for a business when it forces the employee to wear a uniform which espouses values against their religious beliefs and request to be paid and not sacked?
FTFY.

If the entire Australian Military was told they must wear pride uniforms for a week, I guarantee there'd be a
  • % that champion it
  • % who embrace it
  • % who couldn't care less
  • % against it

Does it matter which category you're in? It matters... but not that much.

FTFY.

If the entire Australian Military was told they must wear pride uniforms for a week, I guarantee there'd be a
  • % that champion it
  • % who embrace it
  • % who couldn't care less
  • % against it

Does it matter which category you're in? It matters... but not that much.
Pride flag camouflage might actually work great in hyperclown world.

Gary Ablett Jnr and the God Squad at Gold Coast (Swallow etc) got Guy McKenna fired as coach because he refused to allow them to skip training to attend bible reading classes, which seemingly was ignored by the mainstream media.

Funny how Christians/Catholics here are trying to make this about their own so called persecuted faith, when they are BY FAR, the most major and publicly critical of homosexuals and transgender people in Australia

I actually would like the AFL to introduce an annual Pride Round game and jumper for all Men's teams (not just the Swans and Saints) , I would be more than happy for Carlton to have one, but I would be interested to see so many melts from the bible thumpers here who have no interest in LGBT rights, but using this incident as another excuse to bash Haneen and Muslims in general.

I would like to think Adam Saad is enlightened and progressive enough to wear a pride jumper.

LOOK OVER THERE, A CHRISTIAN MAN, GET HIM !!!

whistles while a muslim woman is equally as bigotted

LOOK OVER THERE, A CHRISTIAN MAN, GET HIM !!!

whistles while a muslim woman is equally as bigotted

Your definition of bigoted is certainly different to mine and most other intelligent/rational people.

Also I am willing to bet there are plenty of agnostics and atheists out there who are just as racist/homophobic etc as some religious types.

The unfortunate part of this discussion that's being missed that Australia is still very much a racist and homophobic country, and doesn't have anything necessarily to do with religion either

Australian Culture is still pretty much bogan and uneducated in many ways, and it's pretty easy to blame it all on religion, but that is simplistic, and lazy way of thinking, if not passing the buck on how backwards the Aussie Bogan Culture still is.

Your definition of bigoted is certainly different to mine and most other intelligent/rational people.

Also I am willing to bet there are plenty of agnostics and atheists out there who are just as racist/homophobic etc as some religious types.

The unfortunate part of this discussion that's being missed that Australia is still very much a racist and homophobic country, and doesn't have anything necessarily to do with religion either

Australian Culture is still pretty much bogan and uneducated in many ways, and it's pretty easy to blame it all on religion, but that is simplistic, and lazy way of thinking, if not passing the buck on how backwards the Aussie Bogan Culture still is.

This is 100% about religion. A religion which sees homosexuality as evil.

But yes, lets keep pretending its some other thing.

This is 100% about religion. A religion which sees homosexuality as evil.

But yes, lets keep pretending its some other thing.

Did you read the link I provided?

Explain the amount of blatant and overt homophobia in Australian Male Football clubs?

You can't pin religion mostly on that, especially as we live in a secular country these days with lesser and lesser church goers every year.

Her reasoning...from AFL.com

"Zreika, a practicing Muslim, did not play in last year's Pride Round match due to her preference to not wear the side's specially designed Pride Round Guernsey, saying at the time she had a "responsibility to represent my faith and my community"

So she's representing her 'faith and community' by refusing to play in a round of football recognising gay/trans/bi etc etc people.

If being a bigot is representing her faith, she's going a good job.

"Zreika, a practicing Muslim, did not play in last year's Pride Round match due to her preference to not wear the side's specially designed Pride Round Guernsey, saying at the time she had a "responsibility to represent my faith and my community"

So she's representing her 'faith and community' by refusing to play in a round of football recognising gay/trans/bi etc etc people.

A quick google search shows there are plenty of Muslims online supporting LBQTI people

A quick google search shows there are plenty of Muslims online supporting LBQTI people

So she would be classed as an extremist Muslim ?

Or maybe fundamentalist ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing about that article that points to evidence of 'plenty' of muslims supporting the the lgbtqi community. Its one woman and her opinion on a blog.

Nothing about that article that points to evidence of 'plenty' of muslims supporting the the lgbtqi community. Its one woman and her opinion on a blog
Fair enough. I was using it as an example to show that not all Muslims would refuse to wear the rainbow colours. There's plenty of evidence noting that younger Muslims, those who live in western countries, higher levels of education and those that are less religious are more likely to support LGBTQI issues

Politics, religion, sexual identity, etc should be kept out of sport.

Politics, religion, sexual identity, etc should be kept out of sport.
Disagree. Sport has helped shine a light on issues such as Appartied in South Africa and Civil rights in America. It's normally the people on the wrong side of history saying these things should be kept out of sports, but the same people normally get excited with the military crap that goes on before games, not understanding their lack of self awarnemenss.

Disagree. Sport has helped shine a light on issues such as Appartied in South Africa and Civil rights in America. It's normally the people on the wrong side of history saying these things should be kept out of sports, but the same people normally get excited with the military crap that goes on before games, not understanding their lack of self awarnemenss.
First game of the Springbok tour of NZ in 1981 against Hamilton was meant to be the first foreign game ever shown live back to South Africa and was cancelled when protesters invaded the pitch. For a lot of South Africans this was the first time that they actually saw how hated Apartheid was overseas and that tour pretty much ended most official sporting contact with South Africa until Apartheid fell.

I don’t want military crap either. Just show the game and showcase our indigenous and non-indigenous stars and that would be fine. No one needs 50 different genders shoved down our throat when watching sports.

Edit: I have no problem with the Anzac Day games.

Last edited:
The fact she's a Muslim doesn't stop this being outrageous and gross. I'm stunned that the Giants kept her after last season - what message are you sending to queer team mates?

After thinking about the Manly issue a couple of months ago - I didn't necessarily blame those players for their bigotry. It's a hard thing to change if it's been ingrained in you from a young age (much like my own self loathing.)

But it doesn't mean that her teammates or we, the public, should accept it.

Again, the culture warriors would complain about being sacked for her religion if the Giants had let her go, when in fact the reality is her stance goes against the values of the club. Homophobia is unacceptable regardless of the motivation, and it damages the safety and the sanctity of your locker room.

The fact she's a Muslim doesn't stop this being outrageous and gross. I'm stunned that the Giants kept her after last season - what message are you sending to queer team mates?

After thinking about the Manly issue a couple of months ago - I didn't necessarily blame those players for their bigotry. It's a hard thing to change if it's been ingrained in you from a young age (much like my own self loathing.)

But it doesn't mean that her teammates or we, the public, should accept it.

Again, the culture warriors would complain about being sacked for her religion if the Giants had let her go, when in fact the reality is her stance goes against the values of the club. Homophobia is unacceptable regardless of the motivation, and it damages the safety and the sanctity of your locker room.

Except, she has the support of her team-mates which is obvious. This suggests that she has the trust and respect of the team in day-to-day matters, otherwise she would not be at the club. You are falling for the trick that everything is black and white, so affected parties must act in a certain way that follows this 'black and white' doctrine.

Now you're being boganphobic! 😉

What military crap would that be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back