Anyone Going....

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by koulagirl22
Yep. :) I'll be the mad one wearing black and red...

Ill be the mad one wearing black and white...and probably with a steak sandwich.

I wish I could be there with my red and black scarf but it's the last round of cricket. That is unless the Tropical Cyclones terrorising the Northern parts of Australia redirect and head straight for Mitchell Park.

Read in the paper with interest that Westies have recruited Daniel Bradshaw's brother, Darren and Shannon Rusca ex Lions and Bulldogs I think. Would have been good to be there...

Originally posted by sog35
I wish I could be there with my red and black scarf but it's the last round of cricket. That is unless the Tropical Cyclones terrorising the Northern parts of Australia redirect and head straight for Mitchell Park.

Read in the paper with interest that Westies have recruited Daniel Bradshaw's brother, Darren and Shannon Rusca ex Lions and Bulldogs I think. Would have been good to be there...

Two good recruits there but they've also lost a fair bit, think that they will struggle to be that competitive this year. Whereas the Magpies on the other hand...

Originally posted by Eago77
Two good recruits there but they've also lost a fair bit, think that they will struggle to be that competitive this year. Whereas the Magpies on the other hand...

I honestly thought we would struggle after the start that we had last year but pulled it together before the elimination final debacle.

Losing Backwell and Hollands is a massive blow. Take your two best midfielders out of any team and it'll be an uphill battle. Which is part of the reason why I was hoping Schammer stayed in SA.

We also have a rookie coach in Rehn which will have an impact, just not sure whether it will be positive or negative. There has been an information blackout from the club so really just hoping for the best!

Originally posted by sog35
I honestly thought we would struggle after the start that we had last year but pulled it together before the elimination final debacle.

Losing Backwell and Hollands is a massive blow. Take your two best midfielders out of any team and it'll be an uphill battle. Which is part of the reason why I was hoping Schammer stayed in SA.

We also have a rookie coach in Rehn which will have an impact, just not sure whether it will be positive or negative. There has been an information blackout from the club so really just hoping for the best!

I was devastated when everyone left. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up last.

BTW, the ins and outs did make FootySA.com:
http://footysa.com/article.php?sid=350
WEST ADELAIDE

In: Shannon Rusca (Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions), Ryan Ablett (Port Melbourne, son of Hawks legend Geoff Ablett), Shane tuck (son of Michael), Darren Bradshaw (brother of Daniel Bradshaw), Luke Nathan (Goodwood Saints)

Out: Byron Schammer (Fremantle), Brett Backwell (controversial transfer to Glenelg), Greg Mellor, Matthew Twomey, Ryan O'Callaghan, Adam Richardson, Rob Taylor, Ben Hollands

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Eago77
Whereas the Magpies on the other hand...

are going to struggle big time with depth!!! Have you seen the amount of players we have lost since last year??
Its not good at all.

Outs:
Eugene Warrior (Delisted, Kilburn)
Sam Phillipou (Woodville West Torrens)
Leigh Coudraye (Resigned)
Callum Crook (Resigned)
David Green (Amateur League)
Hayden Kluver (Darwin)
Matthew Lokan (Collingwood)
Ryan O'Connor (North Adelaide)
Christopher Robertson (Resigned)
Joel Tessman (Delisted)
Damien Angove (Retired)
Nathan Seal (Work commitments)
Steven Eichner (Collingwood rookie list)
Tom Carr (Overseas)

Originally posted by koulagirl22
I was devastated when everyone left. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up last.

BTW, the ins and outs did make FootySA.com:
http://footysa.com/article.php?sid=350
WEST ADELAIDE

In: Shannon Rusca (Western Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions), Ryan Ablett (Port Melbourne, son of Hawks legend Geoff Ablett), Shane tuck (son of Michael), Darren Bradshaw (brother of Daniel Bradshaw), Luke Nathan (Goodwood Saints)

Out: Byron Schammer (Fremantle) always going to the AFL hoped he would stay in SA, Brett Backwell (controversial transfer to Glenelg) rumours he would go to WA so was prepared for this, Greg Mellor time was coming to an end, Matthew Twomey started to come good at the end but nothing special, Ryan O'Callaghan played ressies for most of the year I think, Adam Richardson no big loss on last years form D Bradshaw seems to be replacement, Rob Taylor showed something last year across half back, Ben Hollands devastating...

I would be surprised if we finished last. We are more known for inconsistency than consistently **** which is pretty much what it takes to finish last. Having said that all the clubs seem to have recruited pretty hard so it may come down to how well our u19's step up into the reserves then hopefully league. We won the u19's and 17's it's just a matter of keeping the kids that don't quite make it to the AFL but are SANFL talents. A bit like the Eagles???

[EDIT]
I hereby claim this post for West Adelaide :D Cheers Macca for bringing the Blood and Tars up!
[EDIT]

Outs:
Eugene Warrior (Delisted, Kilburn) - (14 games in 2002) Good player, bit of a shock when he was cut towrads the end of last year.
Sam Phillipou (Woodville West Torrens) - (3 games) no loss.
Leigh Coudraye (Resigned) - (2 games) suprise to see him go.
Callum Crook (Resigned) - (3 games) suprise to see him go too.
David Green (Amateur League) - (6 games) Slight loss half decent tallish defender, but not a great loss.
Hayden Kluver (Darwin) - (5 games) no loss.
Matthew Lokan (Collingwood) - (13 games) good player but covered by Evans & Beinke coming back.
Ryan O'Connor (North Adelaide) - (15 games) like Warrior, a big loss though.
Christopher Robertson (Resigned) - (2 games) too injury prone, no real loss.
Joel Tessman (Delisted) - (5 games) Good youngster i thought.
Damien Angove (Retired) - (0 games) no loss.
Nathan Seal (Work commitments) - (3 games) no loss.
Steven Eichner (Collingwood rookie list) - (0 games) Good youngster may have pushed towards league this year.
Tom Carr (Overseas) - (13 games) big loss.

The only real losses besides Warrior & O'Connor, who were both asked to leave late last year, would be Carr and Lokan IMO, it would have been good to hold onto one of the tall fellas too.

We will struggle for depth if we have the same length injury list as we did last year but otherwise should see a marked improvement. But with 5 first team recruits in Francis, O'Loughlin, Evans, Funcke and Plapp, plus players like Poole, Steed, Brown & Wait hopefully injury free and the full time addition of Beinke not too mention the likes of Poulton, Che and possible Burns & Kingsley spending time back in the SANFL the Magpies look a lot stronger this year than last.

Hopefully the following will ring true as Port have had some big player changes recently:

Any club worth its salt will clean out its no hopers, from the doorman to the head trainer to the captain.

Keeping no hopers in these positions, or any other positions, is the mark of the non successful club.

You have to weed out these people who breed an atmosphere of non professionalism.

They are only there for the bloody joke, for the social life, for the prestige, they are not there to win.

Our club is built on the values of strength, courage, loyalty, honour and a strong sense of unity.

Fos Williams

I don't think anyone expects the Magpies to have a season like they did last year.

What I find interesting is the player that have resigned. Have they found other clubs or just professional footballers wandering the streets??

Does anyone know anything about any of the following Magpies recruits?

Luke Whatman (ACT Rams)
Dane Fitzgerald (Bendigo Pioneers)
Nathan Blomeley (Newlyn)
Ben Fennell (Penola)
Lucas White (North Adelaide)
Ben Cooke (Berri)
Luke Duncan (Barmera)

Luke Whatman - 19, 181cm, 75kg

Dane Fitzgerald - 18, 183cm, 80kg.

Whatman seems like a reasonable player....averaged 24 disposals over 15 games for the Rams in the TAC Cup comp. Also kicked 6 goals and was in the best players more often than not. Trained with Geelong in the pre season.

Fitzgerald averaged 16 disposals over 10 TAC Cup games.

Luke Duncan sounds alright. Sounds like a young tough on baller who likes to win the hard ball.

Ben Fennell played in the Country championships (alongside former SANFL/AFL players like Rodney Maynard, Lochie Bowman, Britt Grocke, Mal Greenwood) and was named high in SA's best players in every game and made the All Australian Country side. Cant seem to find anything on what sorta player he is tho.

Ben Cooke is a key forward i beleive.

Nathan Blomeley also played in the Australian Country Championships for Victoria and was named in the best players in two games.

Did anyone end up going? I had a progress score of Port 7 goals up but it only turned out to be a two goal game?

From The Power From Port

Port Magpies d West Adelaide
Port Adelaide Magpies continued their good trial form with an 8 point win over West Adelaide at Richmond Oval yesterday. Port jumped away to a 49 point lead in the first quarter aided by a stiff breeze but West chipped away for the remainder of the game. Ricky O'Loughlin and Nigel Fiegert were among Port's best and Paul Evans kicked 5 goals.

Scores: Port 15.5 (95) d West 12.15 (87)

I think I have the quarter by quarter scores on the PC at home and will post later if no-one else has.

As usual the Advertiser/Sunday Mail site has nothing at all......
:mad:

I went and had a quick chat to a friend on the committee:
Coudraye and Crook playing amature league. Too tough for them I was told.
Parry and Greene impressed me. I was also told that both have a bit of mongrel in them ! Parry rucked against Ben Marsh and more than held his own. Cooke, whereas still very green, put in a few second efforts that suggested to me that he may be OK. He looks to be about 192 cm. Parry would be 194
Scrymgour impressed with his attack on the ball. I also had ticks by Evans, Funcke, Ebert, Fiegert, Lohde and O'Loughlin.
I was told by a West committee member that he was impressed with Munn who rucked in the 2's. Still U19 I believe.
However West have a star in the making with Adam Cooney. Watch him this season
The BBQ stand was closed - Bugger !
Good assessment IMO Eago77, albeit I am not upset that Lokan is gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back