Strategy Are we missing Richo ?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2001
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
We are now a few months into our season and looking back to earlier this year when Richo departed there were many of us thinking hey we will really miss him.

Our current performance would suggest that we are not missing much at all but if Richo was still with us would we be in a better position, would we be playing differently and has Harty fully picked up the ball.

Thoughts ?

Richo, Richo - man, I want to be a Richo man. Well Rex Hunt may have wanted to be a Matthew Richardson man but I don't think we need to be an Alan Richardson man.

I like the bloke. The 20 minutes which turned into 45 minutes at a club 1870 event last year we got from him was great and I became a fan. I do feel a bit sorry for him that he was almost gifted a job from a basket case club after being so close a few times. The golden child at Essendon pinched a job from him at the last second.

But if he had stayed one more year and then moved on to coaching he would have even more Port intel to pinch and use against us. Shaun Hart is probably 4 to 5 years away from getting an AFL senior job.

With greatest respect - no. I'm pretty convinced that Richo's input in his ~12 months at the club was as important as any in terms of lifting us from where we were to where we are now, but I don't think he is irreplaceable in an ongoing sense.

Interesting topic.
Phil Walsh has probably covered the void he may have left behind but what we can't know is how Ken, Walsh and Richo would have worked together.
End of the day the two most important people on the coaching staff are Ken and Burgo.

I still don't begrudge Richo chasing his dream even if it was at the 11th hour. Head coach, significant payrise, gets to go home - remembering he came over by himself in the beginning, huge personal sacrifice. Forgetting our own love of Port, as if anyone else wouldn't have done the same. I would've dropped the 2IC role at Richmond or Brisbane like a monthly rabbit's foot in the same situation.

Before the season began St Kilda was heavily backed for the wooden spoon from most quarters and he's clearly aware of the long-term transitional period in front of him as Hayes, Dal Santo, Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Jones and all the other club stalwarts that got to within a hornet's utensil of a flag ride off into the sunset. Being Moorabbin/Seaford/Luna Park/Deborah Mailman's Flat the natives get awful restless when someone tries to come in and shake things up though. Stan Alves was sacrificed when expectations got too high and Malcolm Blight proffered one too many home truths. I wish him all the best.

On our side of the fence Hinkley's clearly a great coach in his own right and Phil Walsh is a genius who should never have left in the first place #feifdomlife

Win-win for all concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah definitely, we could be higher than first!
Well No.....but maybe with Richo we may have beaten The Roos...and maybe we would not have lost to the Swannies

There were some that were saying after we got Walsh and before we lost Richo that we would have the best Coaches box in the league

The point is I suppose are we as good as we can be in the Box and if not what do we need to round it out

Do we miss him now? Top spot would suggest otherwise. We brought in another experienced head in Phil Walsh that Ken can bounce idea's off of. Along with Shaun Hart able to handle the parts of his role that don't require years in the game.

I think he played a valuable role from when he joined until when he left though. Casual, Koch, Ken, Richo, Burgess and Boak are the six who had the most input into thrashing out (within their particular areas) what was needed to turn the club around and get it started. One of the marks of someone who has set up a system really well is that it doesn't fall apart when they are replaced. And when Richo left all the systems / plans he helped Ken and co. put in place didn't fall apart.

I was angry when he left (more at St. Kilda), but don't feel any animosity to him. I only wish him failure by extension of wishing St. Kilda failure for their amateur antics. If he can push out a few senior players out the door the end of this year he may escape their with his sanity. Otherwise he'll be the latest in the long line of sacrifices for the quick fix, without going near their untouchable culture of party boy mediocrity.

Not really something supporters would be privy to. The club would know if there is still improvement or a missing piece in the coaches box, but from the outside, its impossible to know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back