Australia v Sri Lanka; 2nd Test @ Manuka Oval Feb 1-5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Canberra's inaugural Test, with most of the interest revolving around Australia's team. The Sri Lankan bowling attack looks fairly thin on the ground after injuries in the Brisbane Test so whoever is selected might find themselves with a chance to cash in and possibly score the first Test century of the summer. To set the scene here is a good piece on Jack Fingleton and his Canberra connections by Dan Brettig.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25882757/a-test-debut-jack-fingleton-dreams

Red Dog Styles

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2017
Ferntree Gully
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And now the good news, starting tomorrow it won't be 35+ every ******* day.
But of course now the cricket is here, there might be rain each day. We've had overnight storms to make the following day hot and humid, but not much daytime rain the last month or so.
Hopefully the rain stays away, may only need 4 days play if Sri Lanka bat first. If we bat first i guess with rain it could end in a draw

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hopefully the rain stays away, may only need 4 days play if Sri Lanka bat first. If we bat first i guess with rain it could end in a draw

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
A little bit of rain might stop the pitch becoming the low, slow, nothingfest Manuka can be in the few Shield games played there. It looks like its mostly forecast for afternoon/evening (except perhaps Monday), so given how weak both sides are with the bat there should be a result still. Manuka will suit Sri Lanka far more than the Gabba, but whether they can post a score is still a big question.
If the weather of the last month was to continue the pitch would dry out and featherbed very quickly. As it is maybe it will keep some grass and be a decent Test pitch - just enough to keep bowlers interested without really favouring them.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’ll support Sri Lanka if the budget Mitch Marsh Stoinis plays. Better be a unchanged team. No better time for Usman to find some form with the Ashes on the horizon than playing Sri Lanka on the Manuka Road.

I’ll support Sri Lanka if the budget Mitch Marsh Stoinis plays. Better be a unchanged team. No better time for Usman to find some form with the Ashes on the horizon than playing Sri Lanka on the Manuka Road.

Well said. We need Khawaja in form going into the Ashes (lets be honest he's going to be there)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pat Cummins is fulfilling the great Australian cricket prophecy of the bloke who can do anything on a cricket pitch. He'll make a hundred soon I'd wager

Probably will be our second highest bat in the Ashes...which is just sad!

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Probably will be our second highest bat in the Ashes...which is just sad!
The poms will be shitting themselves when Cummins bowls at them over there. They could hardly get him off the square over here last year and our pitches are as flat as my dad's arse. Cummins on green seamers will be unstoppable. Have some faith son.. we will demolish them over there after we defend our world cup trophy

The poms will be shitting themselves when Cummins bowls at them over there. They could hardly get him off the square over here last year and our pitches are as flat as my dad's arse. Cummins on green seamers will be unstoppable. Have some faith son.. we will demolish them over there after we defend our world cup trophy

Problem is their bowling is just as good and frankly their batting is better. At least we shouldn't (I sure as anything hope not) have the so called AR at 6.

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Problem is their bowling is just as good and frankly their batting is better. At least we shouldn't (I sure as anything hope not) have the so called AR at 6.
There's a bloke called Marcus Stoinis who may just bring something to the table over there......lmao

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Really looking forward to seeing how Canberra goes hosting the test, crowds, transport issues etc. Great to see a test being played there.

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I'd argue their batting isn't better. They have Root and other bits and pieces...basically the same as Australia with Smith. They have guys who can pull an innings out of nowhere, that is something the Aussie bats haven't proven they can do yet. For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see S.Marsh make his way back in if no one gets a ton tomorrow.

If Australia take Smith, Warner and Khawaja, their batsmen are certainly not better on paper than Australia's. It will be a battle of which tail can bat better.

I'd argue their batting isn't better. They have Root and other bits and pieces...basically the same as Australia with Smith. They have guys who can pull an innings out of nowhere, that is something the Aussie bats haven't proven they can do yet. For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see S.Marsh make his way back in if no one gets a ton tomorrow.

If Australia take Smith, Warner and Khawaja, their batsmen are certainly not better on paper than Australia's. It will be a battle of which tail can bat better.

Please don’t give me nightmares over Marsh being gift wrapped yet another stint. I’d back Patterson to do no worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back