Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a bit of a think about this today to distract myself from the efforts on-screen. Assuming we take 16, I think we could see a few watershed selections and shifts of focus from where we are currently. A mix of experience coming back in and some talented youngsters to be around the squad and get a bit of exposure if merited as well. Just to tear the band-aid off, that would include dropping both current openers, Head, the Marshes, and Starc.

Listed in order of most obvious selection (for me) to the more obscure...

BATSMEN

Steve Smith: Easily our best batsman. Picks himself.
Usman Khawaja: Need to keep an experienced batsman and he's more reliable than Shaun Marsh. Needs to do better.
David Warner: Let's be honest - we need him. Contentious but necessary. Picks himself.
Glenn Maxwell: Throw him the opportunity and see how he goes. Can't deny his talent.
Matt Renshaw: Needs to find form. Picked over Finch and Harris as I believe he has bigger knocks in him.
Will Pucovski and Jason Sangha: Both picked primarily to expose them to the level required. We don't have the talent with established players to justify taking anybody else. Pucovski would be ahead but both could benefit from a tour with the side/coaches.
Joe Burns: I think he could be handy depth for both the top of the order and the middle order. Break glass in case of emergency option.

WICKETKEEPERS
Tim Paine: He's the leader this squad needs. Picks himself.
Alex Carey: Obvious selection as the back-up keeper.

SEAMERS
Pat Cummins: Give him the new ball and make him the leader of the attack. All heart. Picks himself.
Josh Hazlewood: A solid performer over in England. Picks himself.
Jhye Richardson: Offers something different with his lack of height and nippy pace. Would be a good third seamer.
Chadd Sayers: Horses for courses. Good net bowler for the lads in the lead up and could easily play games there.
Jason Behrendorff: Probably unrealistic due to his injury history. Replace with Tremain/Worrall if he's unavailable. Would be an excellent bowler there.

SPINNERS
Nathan Lyon: There is no need to take a second spinner, as none of the options are good enough. Picks himself.

------------------------------------------------------------

With the view of starting the First Test with an XI of...

Matt RENSHAW
David WARNER
Usman KHAWAJA
Steve SMITH
Glenn MAXWELL
Will PUCOVSKI
Tim PAINE (c) (+)
Pat CUMMINS
Jhye RICHARDSON
Nathan LYON
Josh HAZLEWOOD

Hazelwood doesn't hit the wickets enough in Australian conditions, His height and the bounce it generates sees the ball going over the top, he is hard to score against but not that dangerous as a wicket taker.
Can't remember what he is like in English conditions, but maybe they suit his height a bit more.

I think Stark is a more dangerous wicket taker. Lacks consistency though.

Cummins offers a bit on bland wickets, because he consistently hits the deck so hard. Does he get much movement though?

Jhye is getting wickets because Australians aren't use to bowlers his height. Think he is getting wickets because a varying bounce, rather than been able to swing the ball. Think you need someone to swing the ball in English conditions.

and some talented youngsters to be around the squad and get a bit of exposure if merited as well. Just to tear the band-aid off, that would include dropping both current openers, Head, the Marshes, and Starc.

Matt Renshaw: Needs to find form. Picked over Finch and Harris as I believe he has bigger knocks in him.

Last 10 FC knocks averaging 19.9. 6 out of 8 last test innings under 10. If we give credit to the difficulty of facing India in India he averaged 14.8 in his last 6 knocks before being dropped. Considering India he had 22.9 from 14 knocks. That's more than just 'needs to find form'. That's out of sorts completely.

Harris in this seasons Shield knocks averaged 62.6 per innings and 71.6 per wicket (with the 250* - supported by three scores in the 60s). Harris also has some decent kknocks - including a Shield final 158 in Hobart.

He's a talented youngster and I don't see how he can't at least 'get exposure' in comparison to Renshaw who has been significantly off for 12 months.

Last 10 FC knocks averaging 19.9. 6 out of 8 last test innings under 10. If we give credit to the difficulty of facing India in India he averaged 14.8 in his last 6 knocks before being dropped. Considering India he had 22.9 from 14 knocks. That's more than just 'needs to find form'. That's out of sorts completely.

Harris in this seasons Shield knocks averaged 62.6 per innings and 71.6 per wicket (with the 250* - supported by three scores in the 60s). Harris also has some decent kknocks - including a Shield final 158 in Hobart.

He's a talented youngster and I don't see how he can't at least 'get exposure' in comparison to Renshaw who has been significantly off for 12 months.
Simply comes down to the fact I don't rate Harris as much of a Test prospect. I see that in Renshaw's future.

If Harris got selected ahead of him it would make complete sense, no issue with it.

First ashes test I’d go

Burns
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
S Marsh
Head
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Worrall

Jhye Richardson, Will Pucovski, Stoinis on tour

Hazelwood doesn't hit the wickets enough in Australian conditions, His height and the bounce it generates sees the ball going over the top, he is hard to score against but not that dangerous as a wicket taker.
Can't remember what he is like in English conditions, but maybe they suit his height a bit more.

I think Stark is a more dangerous wicket taker. Lacks consistency though.

Cummins offers a bit on bland wickets, because he consistently hits the deck so hard. Does he get much movement though?

Jhye is getting wickets because Australians aren't use to bowlers his height. Think he is getting wickets because a varying bounce, rather than been able to swing the ball. Think you need someone to swing the ball in English conditions.

Check out Jhye’s wicket of Sangha in the shield match at Perth Stadium. Can swing them.

Check out Jhye’s wicket of Sangha in the shield match at Perth Stadium. Can swing them.

Yep.

Jhye was and is getting wickets because he actually attacks the top of off regularly in long form cricket. He also has an excellent bouncer. I have him next in line personally. Will only get better with maturity.

I thought you meant he would do a follow up masterpiece after this one:
36f31b591d4e9d2aa1732a2dfa6fdfa7bc5a9b60

Warner
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Head
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Tremain
Richardson
Wade
Stoinis
Renshaw/Pukovski (depending on the second half of the shield season, I'd like to see a young batsman taken on the tour)

Goes without saying, this series have proven that Aaron Finch is most definitely not test cricket standard. Was dreadful in the Adelaide test with bat and in the field, and utter bollocks in the MCG test.

Despite some form in the UAE, he just doesn't have any form to speak of or any history. Gigs up Finchy.

I believe one of the warm up games is Aus vs Aus A? If so I think they should/will (in regards to the bowlers) be as follows:

Burns
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Stoinis
Paine (c, +)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Renshaw
Bancroft
Patterson
Pucovski
Wade (c)
Maxwell
Carey (+)
Agar
Neser
Richardson
Tremain

As I've said earlier, SO'K is now 34, injury proned and hasn't set the world alight for a couple of years. Wade batting ahed of Maxwell partially for the lols and partially to break up the LH/RH stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the reason for people's obsession to bring in Stoinis?

His first class average has been poor, barring a decent go this season. I just think we don't have a decent allrounder that merits inclusion, particularly where our batting lineup as it stands has no solidity.

We need test players not ODI or 20/20 players to save our test team.

What's the reason for people's obsession to bring in Stoinis?

His first class average has been poor, barring a decent go this season. I just think we don't have a decent allrounder that merits inclusion, particularly where our batting lineup as it stands has no solidity.

We need test players not ODI or 20/20 players to save our test team.
His record this season. The cupboard is bare.

I believe one of the warm up games is Aus vs Aus A? If so I think they should/will (in regards to the bowlers) be as follows:

Burns
Harris
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Stoinis
Paine (c, +)
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Renshaw
Bancroft
Patterson
Pucovski
Wade (c)
Maxwell
Carey (+)
Agar
Neser
Richardson
Tremain

As I've said earlier, SO'K is now 34, injury proned and hasn't set the world alight for a couple of years. Wade batting ahed of Maxwell partially for the lols and partially to break up the LH/RH stuff.

A team might win by an innings even without a spinner

A team might win by an innings even without a spinner
Nah, I think the Australian side still win due to the Khawaja/Smith factor.

But the A team has a stronger bowling attack, can’t see Australia taking 20 wickets
That's because you're obsessed with the idea that the A team will beat the Australian team.

Burns
Renshaw
Khawaja
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine (c) (wk)
Cummins
Lyon
Starc
Hazlewood

12th: Pattinson

That'd be my ideal XI with a fair chance of the bowlers changing. Pattinson could come in for Wade depending on conditions.

Yes yes, I know there is still a Test of the India series to go, but this series is rapidly approaching now too, so thought I'd get the ball rolling.

One thing to immediately note; Sri Lanka have just lost a two match series in New Zealand 1-0. They escaped with a rather miraculous draw in the first Test in Wellington after looking dead and buried; they then began the second Test in Christchurch utensil-a-hoop and had NZ 64/6 just after lunch on day one.

Less than four days later, they lost the Test by the rather horrid margin of 423 runs.

And, and this is a crushing blow for Sri Lanka...

Angelo Matthews is now almost certain to miss the tour of Australia because of the severity of the hamstring injury he suffered in the second Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back