Opinion Best 22 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Witherden's initial games were simply a class above anyone else's first few games. That anyone does not have him in our best 22 beats me. Let's hope he doesn't get the second years blues.

He must play further up the ground as his disposal is a weapon; lace out on the chest of any leading forward.

Think about him taking a handball from Steph Martin, Hipwood on a lead. Hipwood on the chest. Thanks for coming

Witherden's initial games were simply a class above anyone else's first few games. That anyone does not have him in our best 22 beats me. Let's hope he doesn't get the second years blues.

He must play further up the ground as his disposal is a weapon; lace out on the chest of any leading forward.

Think about him taking a handball from Steph Martin, Hipwood on a lead. Hipwood on the chest. Thanks for coming
The only problem with him playing further up field is that our kick ins will be worse off. Before Witherden we were abysmal at the kick ins. I suppose Rich or Hodge could do it but Witherden is fantastic.

Hodge will not play every game and Witherden in I'd push Rich into the midfield or Robertson who has a huge tank.

For me it depends on where he wants to play. If he is to play back then he is a lock everyday of the week. However if, as has been communicated by Fagan and others, he is to play in the midfield I personally believe that he should do this in the seconds at the start of the year but can see that by year’s end he would be best 22 and playing midifield minutes.

B: Mayes, Andrews, McStay

HB: Hodge, Gardiner, Roberston

C: Rich, Berry, Beams

HF: Lester, Walker, Christensen

F: Taylor, Hipwood, Cameron

R: Martin, Zorko, Robinson

INT: Bastinac, Witherden, McCluggage, Mathieson
Will be interesting to see how you use Cameron.

Imo, you are best using him as an attacking wingman, with stints forward. I wouldn't be pigeonholing him as a small forward.

Will be interesting to see how you use Cameron.

Imo, you are best using him as an attacking wingman, with stints forward. I wouldn't be pigeonholing him as a small forward.
I can't remember if it was Chris Fagan or David Noble but one of them said our plan is to run him on the wing/outside mid with stints as a small forward.

So I think our coaching staff agree with you.

Interesting now with the new draftee's secured what the make-up of our best 22 will be for 2018. I expect Rayner to be playing Round 1 if fit along with maybe 1 or 2 other newby's. Include those boys along with Hodge, Cameron, Robinson & Christensen & we have 5-6 spots that will change our mix. Additionally it improve's our depth enormously which is a luxury we haven't had for many years...... Club is looking up.:thumbsu:

Interesting now with the new draftee's secured what the make-up of our best 22 will be for 2018. I expect Rayner to be playing Round 1 if fit along with maybe 1 or 2 other newby's. Include those boys along with Hodge, Cameron, Robinson & Christensen & we have 5-6 spots that will change our mix. Additionally it improve's our depth enormously which is a luxury we haven't had for many years...... Club is looking up.:thumbsu:
Was thinking about this last night. With a fully healthy list...

How Hodge and Rich fit in the side will be interesting. I really liked Rich's defensive efforts last year, but he does get found out for pace.

Not sure how many of the new kids will play from round 1. Rayner if, as you said, he has his tank up and running. Possibly Starcevich, but my gut feel is the kids will have a fight to get on the bench.

Have to think McCluggage, D. Beams, Zorko, Stef Martin, Berry & Matho are the likely starting midfield, with Walker, Hipwood, Robinson, Cameron, Bundy & Lewi Taylor playing in the forward line.

Defence; Andrews, McStay, NRobbo, Hodge, Mays & Witherden for me.

If Bastinac can find his end of season form, he's a chance on the bench. You'd think Lester has a spot on the bench for his versatility and the fact the coaches love him. Rich will have to be on the bench, if he's not starting, and slides in the starting line up when Hodge has a game off.

That leaves one spot up for grabs, and you would think the first, second and third year kids will be pushing any of the more experienced players down the pecking order for that last spot on the bench.

O great Football Injury Gods

Please be kind.

Amen.

Was thinking about this last night. With a fully healthy list...

How Hodge and Rich fit in the side will be interesting. I really liked Rich's defensive efforts last year, but he does get found out for pace.

Not sure how many of the new kids will play from round 1. Rayner if, as you said, he has his tank up and running. Possibly Starcevich, but my gut feel is the kids will have a fight to get on the bench.

Have to think McCluggage, D. Beams, Zorko, Stef Martin, Berry & Matho are the likely starting midfield, with Walker, Hipwood, Robinson, Cameron, Bundy & Lewi Taylor playing in the forward line.

Defence; Andrews, McStay, NRobbo, Hodge, Mays & Witherden for me.

If Bastinac can find his end of season form, he's a chance on the bench. You'd think Lester has a spot on the bench for his versatility and the fact the coaches love him. Rich will have to be on the bench, if he's not starting, and slides in the starting line up when Hodge has a game off.

That leaves one spot up for grabs, and you would think the first, second and third year kids will be pushing any of the more experienced players down the pecking order for that last spot on the bench.
I see guys like Matho, Bastinac, Walker, N Robbo, Rich, Keays, Bell, Cox, Mayes, Allison, Lester, Barrett, Cutler, Bewick & Dawson all having an arm wrestle for a spot in the starting 22. That's 15 listed players.

B: Mayes, Andrews, Robertson

HB: Witherden, Gardiner, Hodge

C: Rich, Beams, Cameron

HF: Christensen, Walker, Robinson

F: Taylor, Hipwood, McCluggage

R: Martin, Berry, Zorko

INT: Bastinac, Beast, McStay, Keays
-------------------------------------------------------
B... Hanley Payne Hinge

Hb. Cutler Eagles Cox

C... Allison Bailey Bewick

Hf. Rayner Ballenden Paperone

F... Barrett McInerney Lester

R... Smith Lyons Starc

I.c Dawson Wooler Bell Beams Frost

Not an easy job being a selector this season. No debuts round 1 I don't think

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Mayes Andrews Gardiner
HB: Hodge McStay Witherden
C: Rich DBeams McCluggage
HF: Taylor Hipwood Christensen
FF: Robinson Walker Cameron
Ruck: Martin Zorko Berry
Bench: Mathieson Lester Robertson Keays

Could see Rayner pushing ahead one of those on the bench for but there's a few options for small forwards.

B: Mayes Andrews Gardiner
HB: Hodge McStay Witherden
C: Rich DBeams McCluggage
HF: Taylor Hipwood Christensen
FF: Robinson Walker Cameron
Ruck: Martin Zorko Berry
Bench: Mathieson Lester Robertson Keays

Could see Rayner pushing ahead one of those on the bench for but there's a few options for small forwards.
I think Starc if anyone could hop on that bench....looked fit and strong in highlights.

My forward line would be based around Hipwood and Robinson with Rayner, Cameron, Lester, Taylor, Zorko, Bastinac, Bundy, Keays, McCluggage rotating through. Not all at once of course.

Looks a touch weak doesn't it? Pressure on Hipwood in that setup. We have a goal kicking midfield though.

Thing I really like in that setup is the tackling pressure that comes from having Robinson, Rayner and Cameron (and Zorko) in the same forward line. Steal from the premiers' style.

I'd have Walker in my 22 so he can come up if needed another tall. Starcevich and Ballendon in the mix when the coaches deem them ready.

My forward line would be based around Hipwood and Robinson with Rayner, Cameron, Lester, Taylor, Zorko, Bastinac, Bundy, Keays, McCluggage rotating through. Not all at once of course.

Looks a touch weak doesn't it? Pressure on Hipwood in that setup.

Thing I really like in that setup is the tackling pressure that comes from having Robinson, Rayner and Cameron (and Zorko) in the same forward line. Steal from the premiers' style.

I'd have Walker in my 22 so he can come up if needed another tall. Starcevich and Ballendon in the mix when the coaches deem them ready.
I am not adverse to having Hipwood on the wing for short periods and the rest at ff to let him run and make a marking target for the back men.....hard to match up on as Blicas proved against us last year when we played Geelong. When he goes to the wing bring on McStay or Walker.

I'm going all in on playing youngsters:

Mayes Andrews Hodge
Witho Mcstay Rich

Martin beams Matho
Zorko Berry mccluggage

Rayner hipwood Taylor
Cameron ballenden Christensen

Int: Allison, cutler, Robinson, Gardiner

I am taking a stand against servicable players who won't take us to the promised land: basti; walker; Bewick; Robertson; c beams, Bell ..... I would rather pump games into the youngsters and bolster the team with the current older standouts.

I think Walker’s late form as the forward-ruck was definite best 22 quality in most sides. You don’t need a superstar in that role but you want someone to do a job - get to contests and compete to bring the ball to ground. I thought his marking and movement in particular were very good.

Every team needs "serviceable" players, because you can't fit a team full of A graders and stars under the salary cap. A best 22 on $500k each almost caps a team out.

I'm going all in on playing youngsters:

Mayes Andrews Hodge
Witho Mcstay Rich

Martin beams Matho
Zorko Berry mccluggage

Rayner hipwood Taylor
Cameron ballenden Christensen

Int: Allison, cutler, Robinson, Gardiner

I am taking a stand against servicable players who won't take us to the promised land: basti; walker; Bewick; Robertson; c beams, Bell ..... I would rather pump games into the youngsters and bolster the team with the current older standouts.

Robertson would be well and truly ahead of Cutler at the moment. A very respected player because he runs all day and goes as hard in the fourth quarter as the first. Cutler, not so much.

Pretty exciting off season in the end adding Luke Hodge, Charlie Cameron and Cameron Rayner. Goes close to rivalling the 2014 off season acquisitions of Beams, Bundy and Robbo in terms of hype and build up. It will be very handy adding the above trio to our best 22 next year.

B Gardiner Andrews Mayes
HB Witherden McStay Hodge
C Rich Mathieson Cameron
HF Taylor Walker Robinson
F Rayner Hipwood Christensen
R Martin Beams Zorko
I McCluggage Berry Bastinac Robertson
E Lester Cox Keays

Really wanted to find a spot for Lester but also wanted to slot Rayner in.

Depth: Bell, Bewick, Skinner, Paparone, Dawson, Cutler, Allison, Lyons, Smith, Frost, Barrett, Bailey, Starcevich, Wooller, Ballenden, Payne, CBeams, Eagles, Hanley, McInerney, Hinge.

Wonder with Hodge in the team if it will allow Mayes/Robertson/Witherden to move on the wing? I can't see Rich playing there nor do I want him as he had 8 years rotating through the wing and he failed. Rich is a defender from now on it's where he has finally starting to play good consistent footy IMO unless circumstances calls for him to move somewhere else.

Wonder with Hodge in the team if it will allow Mayes/Robertson/Witherden to move on the wing? I can't see Rich playing there nor do I want him as he had 8 years rotating through the wing and he failed. Rich is a defender from now on it's where he has finally starting to play good consistent footy IMO unless circumstances calls for him to move somewhere else.
I can't see Hodge McStay Gardiner n Andrews being on the backline as witches hats at the same time so I imagine wither etc will be back at some stage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back