Prediction Best 22 for Round One, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

No , it's not funny. Try and find a sence of humour. The b and f is a coaches pet award nothing more.

The coach has no idea should have been sacked years ago

"No its not funny"

then

"try and find a sense of humour"

can't you see the contradiction?

Edwards mirror's the performance of the side, team going well, he goes well etc.

Definition of a downhill skier. (Not actually a negative statement)

Edwards has infinity more ability than the Consistently mediocre grigg.

Grigg will merely list block the people that are more promising than him - Menadue Mcintosh graham and similar prospects, even more mature conca ,lamberts

Neither should be a promised spot

Edwards has infinity more ability than the Consistently mediocre grigg.

Grigg will merely list block the people that are more promising than him - Menadue Mcintosh graham and similar prospects, even more mature conca ,lamberts

Neither should be a promised spot

Why Edwards has risen to such great heights across his nine years!
He may have more ability than Grigg, but Grigg outplays him each year!

I'd like to see Morris playing again, not because of his skill levels but due to his sheer desperation and determination to win back the ball in defense. I think people forget how badly small forward would destroy us before Morris joined our backline. He effectively tags small forwards out of the game. He just struggles with rebounding the ball out of defense which reduces our ball movement.

Regardless he is injured for at least the first part of the year so I would prefer to keep grooming Markov or Short for the position in preference of Batchelor who, for mine, is too cumbersome and slow. Good by foot but can only play on the oppositions third tall and is not nibble enough to stop a quality small forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grigg has straits that prevent the club becoming a serious challenger and unable to step up in big games .
- lacks versatility , can't play forward or back
- poor one in one
- one sided
- lacks confidence in his kicking to pick out a target when under pressure and takes the wide option.
- Aside from when tagging has absolutely no defensive mindset.

If he is getting a game the club isn't going to be a serious contender . Goes to water under serious heat and he lack of flexibility in both style of play and positions played reduces the whole side flexibility. His inclusion in the side significantly effects the game style played and ability for players to play alternate roles to assist in breaking tags.

Last edited:
Grigg has straits that prevent the club vecomibg a serious challender and unable to step up in big games .
- lacks versatility , cant play forward or back
- poor one in one
- one sided
- lacks confidence in his kickibg to pick out a target when under pressure and takes the wide option.

If ge is getting a game the club isnt going to be a serious contender . Goes to water under serious heat and he lack of flecibikity in both style of play and positions played reduces the whoke side flexibility. His inclusion in the side significantly effects the game style played and ability for players to play alternate roles to assist in breaking tags.
Were you deliberately trying to make one of those only 3 in 10 people can read this misspelled mess. :D

Grigg has straits that prevent the club vecomibg a serious challender and unable to step up in big games .
- lacks versatility , cant play forward or back
- poor one in one
- one sided
- lacks confidence in his kickibg to pick out a target when under pressure and takes the wide option.

If ge is getting a game the club isnt going to be a serious contender . Goes to water under serious heat and he lack of flecibikity in both style of play and positions played reduces the whoke side flexibility. His inclusion in the side significantly effects the game style played and ability for players to play alternate roles to assist in breaking tags.

Agree and add to the fact that he will be #eco next season as well without his mate Lids. Think he would have sought to move on with him had he not already committed first.
He played a role in the past but if we are seriously intent on improving he along with the other very limited footballers getting games in Hampson, Lambert, Hunt, Morris, Houli and Maric have to be succeeded. We've had so many C grade players added to this list over a long period that it has taken several years to reduce them back to a sustainable level.

Houli another player who is solid and best 22
In your opinion and definitely not mine. Solid contributor , what does this actually Mean? I think he's suspect under pressure and a very poor decision maker even when not under pressure. We need to start upgrading these types otherwise we will continue to plug away in the middle to bottom part of the competition. Going down the same path gets you nowhere.

Lol Grigg is one of our most consistent players. Is absolutely best 22 at this point in time unless there is someone who can come along and play better than him.
At this point Grigg will offer you more output than Corey Ellis, Lambert, Hunt, Menadue.
Let these players earn there spot and until then, Grigg is in the starting team.
So much bashing of the bloke on this forum it's getting a bit ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol Grigg is one of our most consistent players. Is absolutely best 22 at this point in time unless there is someone who can come along and play better than him.
At this point Grigg will offer you more output than Corey Ellis, Lambert, Hunt, Menadue.
Let these players earn there spot and until then, Grigg is in the starting team.
So much bashing of the bloke on this forum it's getting a bit ridiculous.
Output to finish 13th is not good enough for a mature bodied player who is with no future upside or improvement. I would prefer to see what kids have to offer and invest in them .
This is what the Dogs did and got the benefits. Playing guys that only Limit you to 13 up to three EF losses is short sightedness.

Output to finish 13th is not good enough for a mature bodied player who is with no future upside or improvement. I would prefer to see what kids have to offer and invest in them .
This is what the Dogs did and got the benefits. Playing guys that only Limit you to 13 up to three EF losses is short sightedness.

I'm sorry but half of these 'kids' can't even muster half a decent game in the VFL. Grigg is not a major concern right now, we have much bigger issues at the moment and I don't believe Grigg is one of them.

I'm sorry but half of these 'kids' can't even muster half a decent game in the VFL. Grigg is not a major concern right now, we have much bigger issues at the moment and I don't believe Grigg is one of them.
I disagree based on where our list is at and with the two blokes we traded for in Prestia and Caddy. We are not contending so you put games into the kids. Amazing how Markov Rioli and Short stepped up this year . Also KMac comes back and we've picked up Graham.
We need to avoid putting games into deadwood players and set up for the future.

Last edited:
In your opinion and definitely not mine. Solid contributor , what does this actually Mean? I think he's suspect under pressure and a very poor decision maker even when not under pressure. We need to start upgrading these types otherwise we will continue to plug away in the middle to bottom part of the competition. Going down the same path gets you nowhere.

It won't be long till rance is being shipped off to gws

The thing is everyone seems to acknowledge Grigg has no upside, major flaws and his inclusion creates other team orientated issues.
Why not bite the bullet and put the time into someone who has higher potential. That could mean vlaustin/ graham into the midfield Oleg into Vlaustins back pocket.

Last edited:
The team I would like to see,
No Grigg, Houli or Ellis (2)

B. Short Rance Grimes
H. Vlastuin Astbury Markov
C. Macintosh Caddy Graham
H. Rioli Griffiths Bolton
F. Martin Jack Lloyd
R. Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
I. Menadue Drummond Costanza ?

AFL
Name Height Weight Games Age
B: Jayden Short 177cm 72kg 16 20 David Astbury 195cm 93kg 60 25 Dylan Grimes 193cm 88kg 79 25
HB: Corey Ellis 184cm 75kg 17 20 Alex Rance 194cm 96kg 150 27 Oleg Markov 188cm 73kg 8 20
C: Kamdyn McIntosh 192cm 91kg 29 22 Josh Caddy 186cm 84kg 95 24 Brandon Ellis 181cm 81kg 110 23
HF: Dustin Martin 187cm 88kg 153 25 Jack Riewoldt 195cm 91kg 202 28 Sam Lloyd 180cm 83kg 42 26
F: Toby Nankervis 199cm 106kg 12 22 Daniel Rioli 179cm 65kg 18 19 Ben Griffiths 200cm 101kg 61 25
R: Shaun Hampson 201cm 106kg 98 28 Trent Cotchin 185cm 85kg 173 26 Dion Prestia 175cm 82kg 95 24
INT: Connor Menadue 188cm 69kg 19 20 Reece Conca 185cm 83kw 80 24 Nick Vlastuin 187cm 86kg 80 22 Anthony Miles 179cm 80kg 65 24

VFL
B: Steven Morris 185cm 83kg 86 27 Ryan Garthwaite 192cm 84kg 0 18 Nathan Broad 192cm 83kg 2 23
HB: Jake Batchelor 187cm 88kg 83 24 Mabior Chol 198cm 78kg 1 19 Bachar Houli 180cm 83kg 149 28
C: Shaun Grigg 190cm 85kg 167 28 Jack Graham 183cm 83kg 0 18 Nathan Drummond 182cm 86kg 5 21
HF: Dan Butler 182cm 80kg 0 20 Callum Moore 193cm 85kg 2 20 Ben Lennon 188cm 84kg 19 21
F: Ivan Maric 200cm 102kg 157 30 Shai Bolton 177cm 67kg 0 17 Todd Elton 198cm 101kg 4 23
R: Ivan Soldo 204cm 103kg 0 20 Jacob Townsend 187cm 89kg 32 23 Shane Edwards 182cm 80kg 187 28
INT: Taylor Hunt 184cm 78kg 103 26 Kane Lambert 178cm 75kg 28 25 Jason Castagna 181cm 78kg 5 20 Tyson Stengle 171cm 69kg 0 18

With the list now final I've picked teams for both the VFL and AFL sides with the same structure in both sides.

Backs
2 Genuine KPD, 1 mobile 3rd tall who can play tall small and 3 smaller types to provide the rebound run and carry. In the AFL side I've gone with C.Ellis Markov and Short in a bit of an overhaul of the back half. All 3 have good foot skills and in Markov and Short a desire to move the ball forwards at all cost. In the VFL side it's a little different given the players to choose from, although Houli and Castagna are quite capable of being that attacking rebound.

Midfield
3 genuine ball winners on the inside rotating through the F50 and interchange, start with Cotchin Caddy and Prestia then rotate in Martin Vlastuin & Miles. On the outside hard running link up types with instructions to get the ball moving forward quick and direct. In 2014 we looked much better when we had McIntosh and B.Ellis running hard up and down the wings being the links between D50 and F50, so use them to start and have Menadue and Conca as the rotations. With those groups you can chop and change as needed depending on form and match ups as the game progresses. 2 ruckmen in the side to keep players fresh and to stretch the defenders for height.

Forwards
3 tall set up with a mobile type across CHF who can lead up the ground but also work back and be another tall option inside F50 when the opportunity arises. In Jacks case we know he is smart enough to work his opponent over. Deep forward are a leading type that works 20-60m out from goal while the resting ruck plays from the square as the long get out option that gets the ball deep and allows the likes of Rioli(AFL) Bolton/Stengle(VFL) go to work at ground level. A resting midfielder on the HFF that can also push up into the play gives us an extra number at the contest, while Lloyd(AFL) Lennon(VFL) provide the mid sized option.

Benefit
With the same structures in both the AFL & VFL players will be able to play the same role regardless of the side they are playing in. That way when form or injury dictates a change you know the player you're bringing in knows the role they will be asked to play. Now obviously where will be some times when the replacement isn't in form or injured and you need to bring in someone who might be playing a different role, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim except for our KPP stocks.

My wish for round one

FB: Short Rance Grimes
HB: Houli Astbury Vlaustin
C: McIntosh Cotchin Markov
HF: Caddy Griffiths Lloyd
F: Rioli Reiwoldt Bolton
FOLL: Nankervis Martin Prestia
INTER: B.Ellis Hampson Lennon Edwards

Really different but I would love our new recruits and Bolton to start us off there's a lot of pace and flair in this side. Surely/obviously the game plan is going to be really fast and daring and should be bloody exciting.
Plenty of depth aswell with Menadue, Miles, C.Ellis, Castagna, Grigg, Lambert, Drummond, Hunt, Conca and Morris to name a few.
Very different to around one last year.

Quickly thrown this together before bed.
FB: Vlastuin Rance Grimes
HB: Houli Astbury Markov
C: McIntosh Cotchin B. Ellis
HF: Martin Griffiths Lloyd
F: Rioli Reiwoldt Edwards
FOLL: Nankervis Caddy Prestia
INTER: Conca Hampson Lennon C. Ellis

Quickly thrown this together before bed.
FB: Vlastuin Rance Grimes
HB: Houli Astbury Markov
C: McIntosh Cotchin B. Ellis
HF: Martin Griffiths Lloyd
F: Rioli Reiwoldt Edwards
FOLL: Nankervis Caddy Prestia
INTER: Conca Hampson Lennon C. Ellis

Nice!

I'll take a stab in the dark based on a little hunch:

B: Grimes - Astbury - Batchelor
HB: Houli - Rance - B. Ellis
C: Cotchin - Vlastuin - McIntosh
HF: Caddy - Griffiths - Markov
F: Rioli - Riewoldt - Edwards
R: Nankervis - Martin - Prestia
Int: Conca - C.Ellis - Grigg - Graham

I think we're in for a hugely different gameplan.
Fast ball movement, way more direct, and a million times tougher at the contest.

Just with this trade period and draft alone, I think we have also made our list look a lot better.

Excited!!

FB: Short - Rance - Grimes
HB: Houli - Astbury - Markov
C: McIntosh - Cotchin - B. Ellis
HF: Martin - Griffiths - Lloyd
F: Rioli - Reiwoldt - Edwards
FOLL: Hampson - Caddy - Prestia
INTER: Conca - Miles - Vlastuin - Grigg

Emerg: Graham - Nankervis -C.Ellis - Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back