Prediction Best 22 for Round One, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you seen him play, looked amazing playing at HB as a junior, very similar player to Yarran and HBF was where he was going to play.

Even the words out of his own mouth..... I just get and take off, I love to run with it.

Would be dynamite of HBF IMO
At his height/weight he would be destroyed playing in defence, and watch him closer he gets the ball and hacks it long he would turn it over at the HBF in AFL especially in his first season, we would be killing his development. He is probably unlikely to even debut next year unless we look like missing finals.

At his height/weight he would be destroyed playing in defence, and watch him closer he gets the ball and hacks it long he would turn it over at the HBF in AFL especially in his first season, we would be killing his development. He is probably unlikely to even debut next year unless we look like missing finals.

Maybe he would?
But I guarantee he plays a senior game this year, in fact I believe that all 4 of Bolton, Graham, Stengle and Garthwaite debut at some stage this year that's how good I think they are.

Surely he's far too small at afl level?
As a HBF, maybe, but maybe not as a small forward. As long as he is fast and he can run, he can still do a couple of awesome tricks at AFL level I'd say. Don't think he'll play a heap of games like Rioli did though.

Drummond debuted in round 4 of his first season so that says something, he the wrecks his knee needing a reconstruction yet he still manages 4 games towards the end of last year so I would say that says something else.
THe club believes he is a player and if he has recovered which his training and running reports suggest he has I think you will see him in the 22.

Like Chol, Moore, Elton, McBean and nearly every bloe on our list outside Butler he was gifted games at the end of the year when it became clear we were going nowhere.
Are you suggesting Moore, who played the last two games of the year, and Elton, who payed the last two, are top 22 because they were in the side at year's end?

first off I never mentioned Moore or chol

Drummond made his debut in round 4 you don't do that unless you have serious talent he then came back in after a reco, you don't do that just to blood players.

if he is fit and well he is a better player than B.Ellis, can run as well and put his body over the ball and will back into a pack, would rather take a hit than give a hospital pass Brandon style

Have you seen him play, looked amazing playing at HB as a junior, very similar player to Yarran and HBF was where he was going to play.

Even the words out of his own mouth..... I just get and take off, I love to run with it.

Would be dynamite of HBF IMO

Yarran was never a HBF either.
Yes, our coach believed he was and kept telling everyone - the experiment would have lasted five weeks before Yarran went back to the wing or HF.
Bolton will not be playing HB.

first off I never mentioned Moore or chol

Drummond made his debut in round 4 you don't do that unless you have serious talent he then came back in after a reco, you don't do that just to blood players.

if he is fit and well he is a better player than B.Ellis, can run as well and put his body over the ball and will back into a pack, would rather take a hit than give a hospital pass Brandon style

You said Drummond played the last four games so he's best 22.
Moore and Eltomn played two games at year's end so by virtue they are best 22.
Drummond is a plodder who needs to show something.

I, still to this day, have issue with the rationale behind this move of Morris to the forward line. All and sundry at our club continually plugged the line about "needing to find a replacement for Jake King'. King was nowhere to be seen when we won nine straight at the end of 2014. It was pure nonsense andtypical of the myths and half truths our club likes to espouse.

There was an interesting post on here sometime since the end of the season that explained the flawed thinking, and sooo much of the awful footy that followed 2013. I can't remember who the poster was or which thread, so apologies for the vagueness - just trying to make the point this is not first-hand information.

Anyway, this poster was a coterie member, and was somehow present in a team meeting, talking about what went wrong in the 2013 EF. Hardwick showed some vision of Houli running along the wing and going long to Riewoldt in a one-on-one. The kick unfortunately went to the defender's advantage. Riewoldt made a fist of the contest though, and brought it to ground. The next player in was a Carlton player, who got the ball and it rebounded down the other end for a goal against us. Hardwick paused the tape and said that was the problem. New team rule. Only ever kick inside 50 when two of the closest three players are wearing Yellow and Black.

King was very good at being that third player. He was also very good at forcing a stoppage when he was hopelessly out-numbered. I reckon they saw similar fight in Morris, and thought he'd slot in. Didn't work. Didn't even nearly work.

Neither did waiting until we had a crumber on hand inside 50.

If that story is true, hopefully everyone at the club can see the mistake for what it was and change the team rule about delivering inside 50 in 2017.

You said Drummond played the last four games so he's best 22.
Moore and Eltomn played two games at year's end so by virtue they are best 22.
Drummond is a plodder who needs to show something.

ok you don't seem to bright, did either Chol or Moore debut after 4 rounds in their first season.... no didn't think so can you see the difference?
Did either of the above come back into the side after a knee reco.... no don't think so either...

Am I clearer now, agree or disagree it doesn't matter but if you quote me use the whole quote and not a portion to suit your argument

ok you don't seem to bright, did either Chol or Moore debut after 4 rounds in their first season.... no didn't think so can you see the difference?
Did either of the above come back into the side after a knee reco.... no don't think so either...

Am I clearer now, agree or disagree it doesn't matter but if you quote me use the whole quote and not a portion to suit your argument

Either way, Drummond will not be in the team in round one and is nothing but an average player.
Just because he debuted in round four does not make him a best 22 player.
Sadly, as much as our beloved coach and club talks up our 2014 draft class, I see nothing 'special' in any of BEllis, Menadue, Drummond, Butler or the departed McKenzie. They have time on their side, but something tells me that if any of them was going to be great, we would have seen something out of the ordinary or a game where one of them took it apart.
PS. You do realise Nathan Drummond played four games towards the end of the year but was dropped for our round 23 game against Sydney.
As I suggested earlier, Drummond and others were gifted games late in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tango67 if our team was so bad in '15 that a player who played a half of footy in his debut was best 22 then we would have been wooden spoon contention..i mean come on man

he aint best 22... I think he has the ability to become very good but I'm with some of the others here, he hasn't shown that much yet..

Either way, Drummond will not be in the team in round one and is nothing but an average player.
Just because he debuted in round four does not make him a best 22 player.
Sadly, as much as our beloved coach and club talks up our 2014 draft class, I see nothing 'special' in any of BEllis, Menadue, Drummond, Butler or the departed McKenzie. They have time on their side, but something tells me that if any of them was going to be great, we would have seen something out of the ordinary or a game where one of them took it apart.
PS. You do realise Nathan Drummond played four games towards the end of the year but was dropped for our round 23 game against Sydney.
As I suggested earlier, Drummond and others were gifted games late in the season.

first off I clearly stated my team was not a round 1 team I said by the end of the year so maybe people didn't read.

in answer to the Drummond comments he was best 22 at round 4 when he debuted otherwise he wouldn't have played as I doubt we were gifting games that early.

the reason he didn't play again is because of a knee reco, the fact that they played him again for 4 games instead of others says something.

like him or not, agree with me or not the coach sees something in him and I believe if he is fit will play by the end of the year

our team make up is pretty simple we have about 6 stars, umpteen vanilla or plodders and a few really exciting kids and not much else

There was an interesting post on here sometime since the end of the season that explained the flawed thinking, and sooo much of the awful footy that followed 2013. I can't remember who the poster was or which thread, so apologies for the vagueness - just trying to make the point this is not first-hand information.

Anyway, this poster was a coterie member, and was somehow present in a team meeting, talking about what went wrong in the 2013 EF. Hardwick showed some vision of Houli running along the wing and going long to Riewoldt in a one-on-one. The kick unfortunately went to the defender's advantage. Riewoldt made a fist of the contest though, and brought it to ground. The next player in was a Carlton player, who got the ball and it rebounded down the other end for a goal against us. Hardwick paused the tape and said that was the problem. New team rule. Only ever kick inside 50 when two of the closest three players are wearing Yellow and Black.

King was very good at being that third player. He was also very good at forcing a stoppage when he was hopelessly out-numbered. I reckon they saw similar fight in Morris, and thought he'd slot in. Didn't work. Didn't even nearly work.

Neither did waiting until we had a crumber on hand inside 50.

If that story is true, hopefully everyone at the club can see the mistake for what it was and change the team rule about delivering inside 50 in 2017.

we have not seen it for a while now but Jack is very good 1 on 1 so i'd kick it to his advantage (the real problem was the kick wasn't) & back him in. better still kick it so he can lead onto it...

it's also the game plan

if you are playing loose men in defence to protect a poor sude fron a flogging and your mids and fwds are running back all day you can't move it forward quickly as they are not there.

playing one on one and holding positions all over the ground means you learn how to handle pressure and everyone plays their role, no passengers.

then when you transition quickly you have people down the ground to kick to

that's finals footy, you can play the other way for so long but will get found out eventually.

it's also the game plan

if you are playing loose men in defence to protect a poor sude fron a flogging and your mids and fwds are running back all day you can't move it forward quickly as they are not there.

playing one on one and holding positions all over the ground means you learn how to handle pressure and everyone plays their role, no passengers.

then when you transition quickly you have people down the ground to kick to

that's finals footy, you can play the other way for so long but will get found out eventually.
Disagree, one on one and holding positions just doesn't happen anymore. The hawks play a 7th defender, and they seem to transition ok, so yes it is about getting this better as opposed to not defending properly. Its about being able to keep possession, and the ability to spread the ground enough to free areas of opposing players. Doing this, means less chance of possession loss, and the hawks do this the best. At least they used to.

B: Grimes Rance Short
HB: Houli Astbury Markov
C: McIntosh Prestia B. Ellis
HF: Edwards Griffiths Caddy
F: Rioli Riewoldt Lloyd
R: Nankervis Cotchin Martin
I/C: Stengle Grigg Vlastuin Conca/Elton/Lennon/Hampson

EMG: Lennon Hampson Elton

Depending on if we want to play 2 ruckman, an extra midfielder, and extra medium forward, or an extra tall forward.

Houli needs to be pushed to a wing. He isnt any good down back. No composure under pressure and his high up and unders are useless.
At least if he does it going forward jack can jump up the top of the light towers to try take a hanger.
Also hampson will be number 1 ruck cause dimwit wants to bang gale and meagan gale. Badoom tish... im here all week...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back