Best 22 in ‘22

Remove this Banner Ad

If McStay does forward ruck like other teams use Dixon, Hawkins etc.. Gives your #1 ruck a chance to rest up and still be on the ground.
So you do not loose a rotation. Not seen Dan ruck much so who knows if a better choice then Joe is now for us.

Last year we only used one ruck Oscar with Jo as relief when all of McStay, Joe & Hippy played between round 5 to 17. We only lost to Demons in this period.
So, three proper KPF + 1 ruck with Jo relief worked a treat.

Fullarton filled in R1 to 4 (McStay out) and R 18 to the end of finals (Hippy out).
We won 5 lost 7 in this period with a 2nd ruck/forward. We had 5 losses to top 8 sides plus Tigers 12th & Hawks 14th for those 7 losses
Wins in this period were only to teams outside the 8 being Pies 17th twice, Suns 16th, Dockers 11th & a lifeless Eagles 9th in round 23

Maybe Fort will be a better fit than Fullarton.
But our 2021 record indicates it may not be the best alternative, especially with a full list available round 1 bar Hippy

There has been no indication that Fagan has any KPF player suitable to play in Hippy's place
To date he has gone back to the ruck/forward in Fort
I will be interested in how the Dogs game plays out. Fort will be named and play but i hope Fagan runs 2 quarters with just one ruck & Jo relief

Round 1

B Answerth Andrews Gardiner
HB Rich Adams Starcevich
C J.Berry Neale Mcluaggage
HF Bailey Daniher McCarthy
F Cameron McStay Mclernery
FOLL: Fort Rayner Lyons
INTER: K.Coleman, Robertson, Prior, T.Berry
Sub: Ah’Chee

Round 1

HB Rich Adams Starcevich
C J.Berry Neale Mcluaggage
HF Bailey Daniher McCarthy
F Cameron McStay Mclernery
FOLL: Fort Rayner Lyons
INTER: K.Coleman, Robertson, Prior, T.Berry
Sub: Ah’Chee
Not bad from an Essendon supporter although a few spelling mistakes
I would say Tom Berry is no chance for round 1 though. Everyone else could get a spot
I assume you don't expect Zorko to be ready for round 1

Really disappointing Kiddy is out for 8-10 weeks. Will be interesting to see if the coaches opt for Ah Chee or Madden to replace him. Maybe Prior gets a look in as well? I am personally going with Madden. Updated team below -

HB Starcevich Adams Rich
C McCluggage Lyons Robinson
HF McCarthy McStay Bailey
F Rayner Daniher Cameron
R McInerney Neale Zorko
B Fort J.Berry Cockatoo Madden
Sub Ah Chee
E Payne Robertson Prior

It is going to be interesting if Madden does get the nod to play and both him and Answerth cement their spots, if Kiddy comes back and dominates through the reserves around Rounds 6-8, who gets forced out for Kiddy to come in. I think Kiddy has been a lock in the coaches eyes over pre season so I'd expect him to return to the seniors pretty quickly post injury.

It is going to be interesting if Madden does get the nod to play and both him and Answerth cement their spots, if Kiddy comes back and dominates through the reserves around Rounds 6-8, who gets forced out for Kiddy to come in. I think Kiddy has been a lock in the coaches eyes over pre season so I'd expect him to return to the seniors pretty quickly post injury.
Don't mess with a winning team...

While I love how Coleman goes about it, especially this preseason, I don't think he's sufficiently far ahead of the other two to be an automatic inclusion.

What a great predicament to be in.

Team would be close to being sorted - if Robbo actually has / gets covid then you'd think he probably wouldn't play. Not like we desperately need him in, let him fully recover.

With that in mind:

Missing from likely best 22: Coleman, Hipwood, Robinson

FB: Gardiner Andrews Answerth
HB: Rich Adams Starcevich
C: McCluggage Lyons Berry
HF: McCarthy McStay Rayner
FF: Cameron Daniher Cockatoo
Foll: McInerney Neale Bailey
I/C: Madden Zorko Roberston Fort
Emergencies: Payne Prior Ah Chee

I suspect Ah Chee might play for Roberston but i am going for Robertson's grunt in the absence of Mitch.

It's a strong squad when you look at the emergencies, considering 3 out already.

I think everything about Coleman screamed best 22 when he played last year and this year. But Madden can have a good run at it. Injuries always happen so the one upside is Madden can get some games under his belt.

If we want a bit of pace off halfback and iffy disposal we may go Madden

If they decide Answerth plays halfback instead of wing then i think AhChee goes to bench defense.
If Answerth plays wing i still prefer AhChee on field defense, then Prior over Madden for bench defense spot for round one
So, in the end i rate Answerth>AhChee>Prior>Madden for round one v Port

One other possibility is AhChee plays wing then defense is Answerth on field with bench of Prior>Madden

While I see Dev having a big future at the club, I wasn't quite sold on him based off his game on Friday. Defensively he was very good, but didn't seem to find much of the ball when playing midfield minutes. 5 touches in 66 minutes on the ground is hard to justify selection over someone like Ah Chee who can cover forward, wing and back. I'd rather that versatility in the team.

Big fan of Dev, but he needs to earn that spot in the 22.

While I see Dev having a big future at the club, I wasn't quite sold on him based off his game on Friday. Defensively he was very good, but didn't seem to find much of the ball when playing midfield minutes. 5 touches in 66 minutes on the ground is hard to justify selection over someone like Ah Chee who can cover forward, wing and back. I'd rather that versatility in the team.

Big fan of Dev, but he needs to earn that spot in the 22.
I don't understand how people just write Ah Chee off as if others are going to overtake him. He's been a really solid contributor the last 3 years and has plenty of room for improvement. I'd always have him in the 22 because you know he can plug a gap if it crops up during a game. As it often does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand how people just write Ah Chee off as if others are going to overtake him. He's been a really solid contributor the last 3 years and has plenty of room for improvement. I'd always have him in the 22 because you know he can plug a gap if it crops up during a game. As it often does.

Agreed, and let's be honest - he'd be a best 22 forward if we weren't so damn stacked in the forward line.

He’s only been brought on late in both trial games which is probably a fair indicator, I like him too and would be in my best 22 but I don’t think it’s crazy to think without injuries he would be the sub or in the ressies.

He’s only been brought on late in both trial games which is probably a fair indicator, I like him too and would be in my best 22 but I don’t think it’s crazy to think without injuries he would be the sub or in the ressies.

These arguments and debates as to who to leave out is a terrific indication of where we are as a club.

Real depth right across the board.

The Coach and the Match Committee are undoubtedly puzzling over the composition of our best side, just as we are.

Long may it continue

Hi guys, sorry to intrude with a fantasy question.

Was just wondering if Wilmot is an automatic inclusion in round 2 following his suspension?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back