Opinion Best 22 in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't see anyone displacing Houli he is still more consistent than the others even against Collingwood he was like one of the few running across the ground for our team.
31 this time next year, if we're still relying on him being the go to guy coming out of the back half we're in trouble. To stay competitive the club needs to ensure they find a replacement. I believe that we'll see Houli and Grigg phased out over the next 12 months.

B.
David Astbury, Ryan Garthwaite, Dylan Grimes

HB
Jayden Short, Alex Rance ,Nick Vlastuin,

C
Balta, Trent Cotchin, BEllis

HF
Daniel Rioli, Shane Edwards, Jack Higgins

F
Jack Riewoldt, Tom Lynch, Dustin Martin,

FOL
Toby Nankervis, Kane Lambert, Dion Prestia

I/C
Lloyd, Broad, Jack Graham, Caddy.

Emerg: McIntosh, Grigg, Houli, Castagna
Out: Conca, Castagna, McIntosh, Grigg, Houli
In: Garthwaite, Balta, Bellis, Lloyd, Lynch

Need more height down back, run through midfield and with lynch coming in the need for castagna to give contest is reduced, whilst lloyd is better goal kicker and better through midfield.
Garth/ balta / lynch could all relieve nank and give better contest than grigg or rioli.

FB: GRIMES RANCE GARTWAITE
HB: SHORT ASTBURY MARKOV
C: GRAHAM MARTIN BELLIS
HF: EDWARDS RIEWOLDT LAMBERT
FF: RIOLI LYNCH BUTLER

RUCK: NANKERVIS COTCHIN PRESTIA

INT: CADDY VLAS MCINTOSH HIGGINS

EMG GRIGG HOULI CONCA LLOYD CASTAGNA MENADUE (BALTA MOORE)

Cold light of day, we fell well short. In 2018 I understand why not many players got games as we were tracking for a 2 peat. But with the smack in face of the Prelim loss we have to manage emerging players' careers and declining players' careers. I'd give Short responsibility for run out of the backline, Garthwaite for Broad, Markov IN Houli or Bellis to wing. Lynch for Castagna, McIntosh to play Grigg's role.

This is all based on good preseasons. I rate all of GRIGG HOULI CONCA LLOYD CASTAGNA. I know Houli was a bit injured in 2018, and not bad when he returned. I know I have McIntosh in for Grigg, and I want us to win more of the ball. I hope Kmac can start finding it a bit more (20+ times per game). I also know Prestia and Conc are injury prone. I reckon Conca had a bit of self-preservation about his play this year. I'd like to see him loosen up, play his natural, ball~player hunting style.
I hope Balts &/or Moore develop in 2019, and cement a spot in the side as a tall mid

Last edited:
I think its a positional basis though.

Is Higgins a better player than Butler and Castagna? Yes, or at least he will be with another Pre-Season.

BUT

Is Higgins a better pressure forward than Butler or Castagna? No, no, and no. Higgins shouldn't be really competing with Rioli, Butler, Castagna, Baker, Stengle, Bolton, etc. He has kicked a few goals, but he looks far better in the midfield. He should be competing with mid-forwards like Edwards, Lambert, Caddy and Graham for a place in the team. We look so much better with 3 pressure forwards and with Lynch in the forward next year we will be losing even move pressure.

Personally, I think Caddy, though fantastic in his role this year, needs to drop 5kg and get some pace back to move back 50% into the midfield. He is the weak link when it comes to defensive pressure in our forward 50 because he is just too slow. Lynch is likely to be the same. 3 quick forwards have paid dividends for us so I think we need to stick with this in 2019.

Yes, yes and yes.

Higgins is a mid that can play forward. He isn't that fast pressure beast. With Lynch we still need that fast pressure of the 3 smalls. That pushes Dusty/Caddy more into the midfield, which is not necessarily a problem. If add a regular play of Jack and Tom making long leads than that drags the defence out and allows Caddy and Dusty to go deep as marking one out options. Higgins is the sort of smart footballer that can take advantage of the type of situations this brigns up. He gets to the right spot and does the right thing. But he isn't the pressure forward we need.

Theres no way George doesnt play.

I think next year we see Butler Rioli and George having stints on the wing. Perhaps with Houli and I wouldnt be surprised to see Riewoltd have stints on a wing or middle.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

B: Vlastuin, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Short, Rance, Houli
C: Edwards, Cotchin, Lambert
HF: Caddy, Lynch, Butler
F: Rioli, Reiwoldt, Castagna
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
I: Higgins, Grigg, McIntosh, Broad
EMG: B.Ellis, Graham, Balta, Lloyd

Bolded you can just about lock away if fit.

Down back will be interesting, think at this stage you'd be staying with Short and Houli but Shorty had a shocking finals series, bad way to end a good season. Houli not getting in any younger but still our best coming out of d50 at this stage. Lot's of guys who will be looking at that half back spot thinking there's an opportunity there. Broad also didn't end the year so well and all of B.Ellis, Garth and Balta will breathing down his neck.

That third tier of midfield will be interesting, don't think Grigg will be a walk up start anymore but I'd still be picking him for his production to start with, too many guys like Kmac and Graham going through there who aren't winning enough ball. Both will need to improve from this year to hold their spot. A cheeky mid or two coming in would also make it harder for those blokes and I wouldn't discount Lloyd if he sticks around.

Small forward debate will rage on, think we stick with the usual 3 as it stands, they hardly got to play together this year, but Butler and especially Castagna can be extremely frustrating players at times, and given the depth we have in Bolton, Baker and Stengle?, all that group would be pretty keen to have a big summer

Without knowing who won't be there next season, and who will be coming in (Lynch aside), the team could look something like this...

B: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Rance Garthwaite Marcov
C: Edwards Cotchin Lambert
HF: Rioli Riewoldt Edwards
F: Caddy Lynch Butler
Foll: Nankervis Martin Prestia
I/C McIntosh Broad Higgins Graham

That leaves guys like Houli, Grigg, B.Ellis, Short, Lloyd, Castagna, Menadue, Baker, Balta, etc...

It really will depend on whether Lynch will be the ruck support for Nank, or if they'll try a younger guy like Balta or CCJ. Do Broad and Garthwaite fit into the same side? Does George need to sharpen his skills in the VFL (I think he is what he is)? Graham needs to win more of the ball and Short needs to learn to defend, whether he plays in the back half or on a wing.

It was clear in the prelim v Collingwood once the match was destroyed by good weather that we were too short in the conditions. Higgins, Short, Prestia, Houli, Rioli, Lambert are all 180cm or under and of those only Rioli can offer a threatening aerial presence. Butler and Castagna not much taller, Baker and Stengle or even smaller than the first list of players, and Bolton is 175cm. These little guys need to play a very high energy game and if they are even a little bit off energy wise or physically, they cease to be an asset to the team. But mostly they are very zippy and have great stamina as well, so you want plenty of them in your team.

The less developed of these players have now been around for at least a season and being small should develop rapidly so they should all be ready to play. There are 11 of those guys and I would be looking to rotate them where possible to keep them fresh and hungry. I think where these type of players play too many matches during the season they can get a bit flat late season, ie finals.

Players like Balta, CCJ, Chol, Moore may not be ready to hold down a permanent spot but wherever possible the club should be looking to include at least one of those players during 2019, again achieve this by rotating guys like Grigg, Macintosh, maybe Broad.

In: Lynch(assuming he comes.) One of the four talls Balta, CCJ, Chol, Moore perhaps on rotation(so we are instantly taller in two positions.) More of Bolton, Stengle(if he stays,) Baker.

Out: One midget on rotation, more rests for Short, Castagna, Higgins, Houli, Grigg, Nankervis, and others during the middle part of the season. If it is wet, go small, rest taller players, even the guns.

I think our stability cost us this year. If you look at most of the last few premiers, including us in 2017, there were injuries or other forced absences especially through the midd season, but the team looked very fresh both tactically and in terms of energy during the finals series. I think giving up a few home and away matches to achieve the effect would be worthwhile, and I feel we have an even enough list to do that. It also should have the added benefit of giving fringe players more currency.

Word is that Brando is staying. Doesn't want to leave.

My best 22:

B: Rance, Grimes, Short
HB: Houli, Astbury, Vlastuin
C: Edwards, Martin, Lambert
HF: Butler, Riewoldt, Rioli
F: Caddy, Lynch, Higgins
Foll: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Inter: Graham, Grigg, Ellis, McIntosh

I'm expecting Conca to go to Freo.
if Broad stays, he needs a massive preseason.
I'm still a bit of a fan of Brando. I'm a bit biased. If we get Crouch and he gets on the park, then Crouch takes his spot.
Castagna I'm not a huge fan of. I want Bolton to go past him very early next year and I think he can. This kid is still raw but has huge upside. Believe me when I say this kid will be a player.
I still hold high hopes for Menadue. Last chance saloon for him though.
Butler starts in front of Lloyd for mine (if Lloyd stays), but will want to play well in the first four weeks.
Garhwaite is waiting in the wings nicely if an injury happens to one of our key backs.
We desperately need another ruck. I'd like to see Preuss in Y&B but I know others don't like him. We need someone other than Soldo. Is Ryan Abbott worth persuing? Is Casboult worth having as insurance? Just anyone over 200cm will do. Balta will be groomed in that role. I'm told the club will pour everything into him and will groom him as our 2nd ruck.

I’m with you on Castagna. Get the pressure perspective but he just didn’t hit the scoreboard enough. Him out , butler in . Tough gig this picking a side that’s produced some real pleasure for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Houli ,Short and Grigg are easily in the best 22.I think we will trade 4 of Astbury, Butler, Conca,Bolton, Stengle and Bellis , As well as Cellis , Miles ,Chol and Menadue .I can't see Moore getting a game, but he'll stay as a backup.I think we will play Baker, Markov, Garthwaite and Soldo early on .Maybe Balta and Naish later in the season.

Houli ,Short and Grigg are easily in the best 22.I think we will trade 4 of Astbury, Butler, Conca,Bolton, Stengle and Bellis , As well as Cellis , Miles ,Chol and Menadue .I can't see Moore getting a game, but he'll stay as a backup.I think we will play Baker, Markov, Garthwaite and Soldo early on .Maybe Balta and Naish later in the season.
Can't see them trading Astbury. I game with the flu isn't worth getting drastic over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see a taller side and free up Rance

B. Grimes, Astbury, Rance
H. Vlastuin, Balta, Broad
C. Lambert, Martin, Edwards
H. Rioli, Jack, Costanga
F. Caddy, Lynch, Butler
R. Nank, Cotchin, Prestia
I. Higgins, Houli, Markov, Graham

I would like to see a taller side and free up Rance

B. Grimes, Astbury, Rance
H. Vlastuin, Balta, Broad
C. Lambert, Martin, Edwards
H. Rioli, Jack, Costanga
F. Caddy, Lynch, Butler
R. Nank, Cotchin, Prestia
I. Higgins, Houli, Markov, Graham

This side but Broad out for Short. As much as I like Broad's pressure, he has so many low possession games. Short ran out of steam, but with another pre under his belt and a bit more size and aggressive running patterns learned by following Basher round all summer, think he has more to offer.
Castagna needs to get up the ground as he is no longer needed as a marking target deep forward. If his possessions are poor, which is a fair chance, then replaced by Bolton, who needs to play sooner than later.
Really agree about Rance, unleash him and he takes Broads roll.
Garthwaite will get games if Balta falters. Balta could do a Richo and go on a wing for a bit also perhaps.

B: Vlastuin, Astbury, Grimes
HB: Short, Rance, Houli
C: Edwards, Cotchin, Lambert
HF: Caddy, Lynch, Butler
F: Rioli, Reiwoldt, Castagna
R: Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
I: Higgins, Grigg, McIntosh, Broad
EMG: B.Ellis, Graham, Balta, Lloyd

Bolded you can just about lock away if fit.

Down back will be interesting, think at this stage you'd be staying with Short and Houli but Shorty had a shocking finals series, bad way to end a good season. Houli not getting in any younger but still our best coming out of d50 at this stage. Lot's of guys who will be looking at that half back spot thinking there's an opportunity there. Broad also didn't end the year so well and all of B.Ellis, Garth and Balta will breathing down his neck.

That third tier of midfield will be interesting, don't think Grigg will be a walk up start anymore but I'd still be picking him for his production to start with, too many guys like Kmac and Graham going through there who aren't winning enough ball. Both will need to improve from this year to hold their spot. A cheeky mid or two coming in would also make it harder for those blokes and I wouldn't discount Lloyd if he sticks around.

Small forward debate will rage on, think we stick with the usual 3 as it stands, they hardly got to play together this year, but Butler and especially Castagna can be extremely frustrating players at times, and given the depth we have in Bolton, Baker and Stengle?, all that group would be pretty keen to have a big summer
Pretty much agree on the lock ins and most of what you have said.

Down back there is two spots open one has to be a small preferably a small who can provide the needed shut down qualities along with the needed pace run and delivery required. Atm none of our small defenders Houli, Short or B Ellis provide us with a shut down option. Id be tempted to give Markov the first crack it even though he is not what you would call a small at 188cm but he does have pace run and looks like he may be able to go one v one.
Grimes best work is as a small he is also quick can shut down and provide some run. With Grimes in mind i reckon Noah Balta should come into the team to replace Rance positionally and play one v one on the bigger fwds.This would allow Rance to do what he does best and just float around and pop up where needed and give us rebound as well, basically taking Broads spot.

Without going out and getting what i would call a well rounded small defender i reckon we should have a back half like the following

FB, Grimes - Astbury - Vlaustin.
FB, Rance - Balta - Markov/Houli. Most likely Houli will get Markov's spot because like you i think he is the best performed small defender we have even though he has his deficiencies.Imo neither Short or B Ellis are the answer down back.

The third tier of mids is interesting Grigg should not be a walk up start but until the other mids can actually get more ball he will probably stay.
What is clearly evident is we lack another mid who wins lots of clearances, The only mids who performed well enough in this area were Martin and Cotchin we really need to find an A grade mid who is both quick and very good in this area. Thats the main reason why i think Lachie Neale would be a perfect fit for us but how do we get that deal done.

Imo the other thing that is obviously missing is an inside beast who actually consistently gets his hands on contested ball and is very good defensively ie tackles and does a lot of the bulk work.I would be happy if we got Crouch or even go at a young player like Will Brodie who i reckon is now ready to impact the competition and is a better mover and covers the ground better Crouch or Caddy.

One other change i would really like to see is Josh Caddy playing in the midfield permanently but he needs to work harder and probably find a yard of pace.
He needs to be more inside imo, throw his big frame around a lot more than he does and get to more contests and get a bit more ball consistently than he does.This would allow us to at least try a ruck/fwd in the front half best 22 at least.
Lets just say we did get Neale and say Crouch and Caddy became a better mid we could play Martin permanently fwd if we so desired without robbing the midfield of so much clearance power and grunt.

Nankervis as much as we all love what he brings to the table is a liability at times as a ruckman. i think our future lies in C C-J But hes not ready for a #1 ruck role but he is ready to get some games into him as a Fwd/Ruck who goes up against oppo second string ruckmen giving Nankervis plenty of breaks.I think we need to do this with Chol as well both can play third tall fwd and both could pinch hit in the ruck when needed.Theres only one way to find out if either can play at the level and play a proper role for us.
If this were to happen there is no way we could play Caddy fwd hence the need for him to finally become an accomplished inside mid.

I think we also lack a super quick line breaking mid who has great foot skills. Menadue would be ideal if he ever gets anywhere near his potential or the level. unfortunately the clock is ticking with this bloke . there is no way we can play him in front of others atm and those others have their knocks.

C, Lambert - Martin - Edwards/Menadue/McIntosh
R,Nankervis - Cotchin - Caddy - Prestia - Higgins - Graham. Just imagine if we did geat Neale and say one of Crouch or Brodie there would be real pressure on every mid bar Dusty and Cotch to perform and there is no problem if injuries do hit we would have midfield depth.

The fwd half small debate will rage but with Lynch in the team and if we see fit to play a second ruck/fwd then the smalls with the best pressure will have to play.None of our smalls are huge goal kickers as it is.Atm the best pressure smalls are Castagna, Butler and Rioli.

Tom Lynch is not a second ruck he is quality KPF and has literally had token goes in the ruck you dont risk a rolls royce in a smash up derby.I dont believe he is the answer to our second ruck woes.

HF, Rioli - Riewoldt - Butler
FF, Castagna - Lynch - Chol/CC-J

INT, Higgins - Graham - Caddy - Prestia.

With just two rolling door scenarios with Neale and Brodie into the team.

FB, Grimes - Astbury -Vlastuin
HB, Rance - Balta - Houli/Markov

C, Edwards - Brodie - Lambert
R, Nankervis - Cotchin - Neale

HF, Rioli - Riewoldt - Butler
FF, Martin - Lynch - Castagna

INT, Prestia - Higgins - Caddy/Graham - Chol/CC-J.

emg, Grigg - McIntosh - Caddy/Graham - Menadue - Markov/Houli.

Bit long winded but there you go we probably wont play a ruck/fwd but id sure like to play one against opposition where the match ups are right.

This side but Broad out for Short. As much as I like Broad's pressure, he has so many low possession games. Short ran out of steam, but with another pre under his belt and a bit more size and aggressive running patterns learned by following Basher round all summer, think he has more to offer.
Castagna needs to get up the ground as he is no longer needed as a marking target deep forward. If his possessions are poor, which is a fair chance, then replaced by Bolton, who needs to play sooner than later.
Really agree about Rance, unleash him and he takes Broads roll.
Garthwaite will get games if Balta falters. Balta could do a Richo and go on a wing for a bit also perhaps.

Actually i would really like to see Vlastuin up the ground, either mid or wing and short takes his spot, garthwaite fights broad for the taller role, edwards moves to HFF repkacing Costagna.

Grimes, Astbury, Rance
Short, Balta, Garthwaite/Broad
Lambert, Martin, Vlastuin
Rioli, Jack, Edwards
Caddy, Lynch, Butler
Nank, Cotchin, Prestia

Caddy becomes a very good 3rd tall and would be a handfull for most teams

To improve markedly, I believe you need an influx of 3-4 players that genuinely improve your side(like we did in 17 with Nankervis, Prestia, Caddy, Butler, Castagna and towards the end Broad)

Lynch is 1.

We need a couple of the younger guys to step up and into our best side, namely Markov, Garthwaite and Bolton. If Chol and Balta can also play some games it will be a bonus. The players under the most pressure for their spots are Grigg, Houli, McIntosh and I believe Shorts stock took a battering with his finals performances.

B: Garthwaite Rance Grimes
HB: Vlaustin Astbury Markov
C:Higgins Martin Graham
HF: Caddy Lynch Edwards
F: Rioli Reiwoldt Butler
Foll: Nankervis, Cotchin, Prestia
Int from: Lambert, Bolton, Short, Kmac, Grigg, Houli, Broad, Ellis, Menadue

Lynch - might be handy ;)
Garthwaite - is ready for senior football imo, Replaces Broad, more an Astbury defender which will free up Rance a bit more,
Markov - Ive always rated Markov hope he can have a good run with injuries next year, aerobic beast - replaces Houli(or Short)
Bolton - Would like to see him up the ground a bit more, high HF is his best spot imo, with a big preseason, would expect to see him come on. (replaces Kmac

Looking at our interchange depth, I dont think our depth will be as bad as some think, hopefully natural evolution will make players like grigg and Houli depth players - very handy ones at that, better than what we have now.

Caddy will be a 3rd tall now not a second tall so expect him to train more with the midfielders over preseason so he can spend a bit more time in the guts. Could do with his bollocking

I think the most exciting thing about next year is the simultaneous arrival of Lynch with the introduction of the the 6-6-6 rule. It will mean Jack and Lynch alternating between deep forward target and roaming HF/link players but more importantly. More importantly though, it mean we will like every other club, have to play another tall/mid sized forward. This suits us perfectly too though, as we have Caddy/Martin who fit the third marking target perfectly. I can see Caddy causing even more problems, sneaking in behind Jack and Tom and taking big grabs against undersized/third best defenders.

Additionally, we will be much harder to defender against as opposition defenders will not know whether to guard against our talls in the air or smalls on the ground. Last year our attack was unexpected and unconventional but this year, opposition clubs knew to keep defenders down and expect us to prioritize forcing the ball to ground. With two tall marking options, one medium marking/crumbing forward and three crumbers; we become much more unpredictable and much more flexible.

Its exciting and amazing what the addition of one player can do

FF: Butler Lynch Caddy
HF: Rioli Riewoldt Higgins

Alternatively, the new rule will mean that we will not have a extra player in defense (at least until after the bounce and a 'wingman' possibly pushes back (Houli or Short?) and one of our forwards pushes up to the wing (Lambert or Higgins?)

Last edited:
First 22

B: Grimes Astbury Garthy
HB: Short Rance Flossy
C: Balta Cotchin Broad
HF: Butler Rioli Castagna
F: Lynch Jack Higlet

R: Nank Martin Lambert

Int: Prestia Shed Caddy Graham

Second 22:

________ Miller Smith
Markov Chol Houli
Kmac BEllis Menadue
Bolton Moore Baker
_______ Cujo ________

Soldo Naish Grigg

_____ _____ _____ _____

B: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Rance Garthwaite Broad
C: Edwards Cotchin Short
HF: Rioli Riewoldt Higgins
FF: Bolton Lynch Caddy
Foll: Nank Martin Prestia
Int: Graham Balta Butler Chol

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Short Astbury Grimes
Vlastuin Rance Broad
McIntosh Martin Rioli
Lambert Riewoldt Edwards
Caddy Lynch Butler
Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
Graham Higgins Balta Menadue

B. Grimes, Astbury, Balta
H. Vlastuin, Rance, Houli
C. Lambert, Martin, Short
H. Rioli, Jack, Edwards
F. Caddy, Lynch, Butler
R. Nankervis, Cotchin, Prestia
I. Higgins, Bolton, BEllis, Graham

Would like to see this line-up round 1 based on the current list (plus Lynch).
Balta gets a senior gig this year (we'd be silly not to given his potential) as does Bolton. We need to fast track their development with so many depth players leaving. Short to a wing where he can use that boot of his to launch it into the Lynch/Riewoldt contested marking vortex. BEllis comes in for stints on the wing but is hopefully pushed out by a ready-made traded player. The rest is pretty self-explanatory. Don't think Grigg or Pinjarra are the future, they fall into the depth category. Castagna much the same - It's him or Butler and I rate Butler far ahead of him in terms of talent. Broad is not a part of this puzzle, don't care how much his defenders bray, he wouldn't get a game at GC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back