Best 22 Round 1 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming none of the draft or PSD plays (still hoping for Stocker).

I have assumed all players are fit and in form. It is too easy to forget that Bruce, Keath and McLean, Macrae l, Crozier are stars when fit (physically and mentally).

Daniel has lost his backing position and needs to settle on the wing - he is a great player and will own it if given the job. With four talls in attack we need good kicks into the forward line and Daniel is the most precise we have.
Williams, Bedendo, McNeil all might get a go during the season and have potential but are not as good players and I would back Daniel to make it work for him.

Would like to see Williams move to the midfield and bring that size we will lack without Dunkley - he took on the wing role well but reckon that was more about building his tank for this move. Heard it hear first! Maybe?

Bruce will swing back as needed and with his experience will be given some licence to roam.

Expect Roarke could be the long term replacement for Duryea (but would risk mucking him about when he has just got settled as a utility but can be relied on to provide a break for any flanker). Williams or Crozier should be but not quick or defensive enough. Scott could end up being very solid in that position just not sure about his pressure marking.

With two solid KPDs we need that third intercept defender. TOB should be the person but isn’t shown anything. Crozier is undersized but the best player - Khamis has great ceiling but also not quite big enough. Raak has the height but not yet good enough mark. Busslington or Weddle would be problem solved but not for this year. In the future Raak has great attributes and could own it - don’t like him playing forward. Playing Keath, Jones and Gardner is too slow.

Weightman Bruce Lobb

JUH Naughton JJ

Trelor Macrae Daniel

English Bont Libba

Dale Keath Crozier

Duryea Jones Richards

Int: B. Smith, Trelor, McLean, R. Smith, Darcy

VFL shows the problem - no KPFs, no big Mids, weak in KPD and ruck and in a turn for the ages we are short flankers for the first time in my 53 years as a supporter.

Jones TOB ???

Hannan Bedendo VDM

Sweet Williams West
McNeil McComb Garcia

Cleary Raak ???

Scott Gardner ???

Losses: Dunkley, Hunter, Schache, Parker, Butler, Wallis, Martin

Gains: Jones, Lobb, 11,21, 39, 63 and one DFA or PSD. May leave one for MSD.

Assuming none of the draft or PSD plays (still hoping for Stocker).

I have assumed all players are fit and in form. It is too easy to forget that Bruce, Keath and McLean, Macrae l, Crozier are stars when fit (physically and mentally).

Daniel has lost his backing position and needs to settle on the wing - he is a great player and will own it if given the job. With four talls in attack we need good kicks into the forward line and Daniel is the most precise we have.
Williams, Bedendo, McNeil all might get a go during the season and have potential but are not as good players and I would back Daniel to make it work for him.

Would like to see Williams move to the midfield and bring that size we will lack without Dunkley - he took on the wing role well but reckon that was more about building his tank for this move. Heard it hear first! Maybe?

Bruce will swing back as needed and with his experience will be given some licence to roam.

Expect Roarke could be the long term replacement for Duryea (but would risk mucking him about when he has just got settled as a utility but can be relied on to provide a break for any flanker). Williams or Crozier should be but not quick or defensive enough. Scott could end up being very solid in that position just not sure about his pressure marking.

With two solid KPDs we need that third intercept defender. TOB should be the person but isn’t shown anything. Crozier is undersized but the best player - Khamis has great ceiling but also not quite big enough. Raak has the height but not yet good enough mark. Busslington or Weddle would be problem solved but not for this year. In the future Raak has great attributes and could own it - don’t like him playing forward. Playing Keath, Jones and Gardner is too slow.

Weightman Bruce Lobb

JUH Naughton JJ

Trelor Macrae Daniel

English Bont Libba

Dale Keath Crozier

Duryea Jones Richards

Int: B. Smith, Trelor, McLean, R. Smith, Darcy

VFL shows the problem - no KPFs, no big Mids, weak in KPD and ruck and in a turn for the ages we are short flankers for the first time in my 53 years as a supporter.

Jones TOB ???

Hannan Bedendo VDM

Sweet Williams West
McNeil McComb Garcia

Cleary Raak ???

Scott Gardner ???

Losses: Dunkley, Hunter, Schache, Parker, Butler, Wallis, Martin

Gains: Jones, Lobb, 11,21, 39, 63 and one DFA or PSD. May leave one for MSD.
Just don’t think Daniel can play wing in the modern game unfortunately, it’s such an underrated position because our wings have been genuinely dreadful for years (Hunter at his best is obviously a gun wingman but still just not suited to the modern game IMO)

You really need at least a few of the following - pace, height, marking ability, raking kick - Daniel whilst obviously brilliant in what he does well has none of the above. Opposition will play though his wing and slaughter us, a wingman that can win a genuine one on one and get the ball moving quick & direct offensively is worth their weight in gold. Williams can really step up there IMO if he can get his tank sorted to consistently present up and down the ground - there’s barely a wingman in the league that will beat him aerially/one on one and that’s a real asset to have. Throw in the raking kick and a real attacking/direct mindset at his best and he could genuinely be a star there - but I just don’t know what was up with him this year and it’s hard to know what sort of output he’ll provide this year.

If I see McComb or McNeil line up there even once this year I’m going to ******* spew. Has to be a combination of Baz, Treloar, Williams, McLean and Bedendo from current list options - and I’m praying for another option through the draft, someone like Hollands could potentially play very early.

For Daniel I think high HFF is best, can utilise his kicking inside 50 and he can be the extra we roll up into the contest because he is much more effective in congestion than on the outside due to his touch, composure and ability to get free in traffic, whereas on the outside he’s just a touch slow and gets found out with his tackling/defensive side when in the open.

B Duryea Keath Daniel
HB Dale Jones Richards
C Macrae Libreatore Williams
HF JUH Naughton West
F Weightman Lobb Hannan
FOLL- English B.Smith Bontempelli
I/C- Treloar, Darcy, Mclean, Garcia, Vandermeer
Emerg- Cleary, Gardner, Sweet, Bruce,
McNeil, McCoomb, Johannisen

That would be great if we had literally one other player capable of taking our opponents power forward.

God I hope Keath returns to form. Love the bloke but he was atrocious at times last year.

Anyway, it’s all very well discussing personnel, what I’m looking to see in Round 1 is a ball flying inside offensive/defensive 50 and our players having a clear plan on who goes up, who blocks and who looks for the crumb.

If the plan is just everyone fly for the same ball then Bevo should be shot at the final siren.
Liam Jones should help with that. If it was up to me I’d put Naughton back as the forward line is getting a bit cramped and we have zero young key backs/ players that can take power forwards besides Jones and Keath (who shouldn’t be doing that anyway).

Liam Jones should help with that. If it was up to me I’d put Naughton back as the forward line is getting a bit cramped and we have zero young key backs/ players that can take power forwards besides Jones and Keath (who shouldn’t be doing that anyway).
It’s an interesting proposition - I’ve always been against sending Naughty back in a big way and I probably still am but geez if Bruce returned to form he’s a brilliant 2nd forward type to compliment Lobb deep and Marra the xfactor for now who can play as a focal point (there was times late in the year already we saw how dangerous he could be and started to clear out the forward line for him - including Naughty) or smaller if need be.

Plus Jones full back, Naughty CHB, Keath 3rd tall - if all are fit and firing our spine is all of a sudden elite.

But I just get too much enjoyment out of Naughty forward and I’m not sure I could watch if we took away that joy from footy of watching him fly in the forward line and kicking bags

It’s an interesting proposition - I’ve always been against sending Naughty back in a big way and I probably still am but geez if Bruce returned to form he’s a brilliant 2nd forward type to compliment Lobb deep and Marra the xfactor for now who can play as a focal point (there was times late in the year already we saw how dangerous he could be and started to clear out the forward line for him - including Naughty) or smaller if need be.

Plus Jones full back, Naughty CHB, Keath 3rd tall - if all are fit and firing our spine is all of a sudden elite.

But I just get too much enjoyment out of Naughty forward and I’m not sure I could watch if we took away that joy from footy of watching him fly in the forward line and kicking bags
Now that I think about it, it’s probably worth placing a $5 bet on Bruce playing back.

We have the opportunity to play our best and straightest kickers forward
I would suggest Lobb, Marra and Darcy
Jones might be a problematic due to concussion and lack of football, hope he sees the year out in good condition and playing well
Bruce is also problematic, not sure we can wait 12 months for him to come good like the first time, possible if he plays well from the start
We have options, a rare thing

I can certainly see the merits of putting Naughton back even though I don’t agree with it. All things being equal though, I think one major issue with sending him back would be that it could be construed as a bit of a slap in the face to one of the best forwards in the competition.

Also, I know he’s come on a long way since he was a defender but his ball drop and foot skills were a bit of a liability in defence and are still his biggest flaws. I think he’s better up the other end where he can take his time over kicks for goal and any impulsive play-ons that don’t work out are at least not resulting in goals against.

He’s still so young and on a trajectory that we must all be delighted with. I don’t think it’s worth disrupting that when it’s not absolutely necessary.

I can certainly see the merits of putting Naughton back even though I don’t agree with it. All things being equal though, I think one major issue with sending him back would be that it could be construed as a bit of a slap in the face to one of the best forwards in the competition.

Also, I know he’s come on a long way since he was a defender but his ball drop and foot skills were a bit of a liability in defence and are still his biggest flaws. I think he’s better up the other end where he can take his time over kicks for goal and any impulsive play-ons that don’t work out are at least not resulting in goals against.

He’s still so young and on a trajectory that we must all be delighted with. I don’t think it’s worth disrupting that when it’s not absolutely necessary.

I think Bevo will move the players around a bit, back and forward
The only thing I have with Naughton is that when he misses which is often it can be deflating. I guess this can be said about most

B. Keath Jones Duryea
HB. Daniel Gardner Richards
C. Williams Libba Mclean
HF. West Naughton B.smith
FF. Clarke Lobb Weightman
R. English Bont Macrea
INT. Treloar Dale Marra Bedendo
Super Sub. JJ

B. Keath Jones Duryea
HB. Daniel Gardner Richards
C. Williams Libba Mclean
HF. West Naughton B.smith
FF. Clarke Lobb Weightman
R. English Bont Macrea
INT. Treloar Dale Marra Bedendo
Super Sub. JJ
Wings far too slow for my liking there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pretty divided in whether I want Daniel to move forward or take back his existing QB role (which Dale has taken over from him) and move Dale to the wing - I feel we get more from the second option.

Doc Jones Gardner/Darcy
Daniel Keath Richards
Dale Libba Baz
West Naughty Treloar
Clarke Lobb Weightman

English Bont Macrae

Williams, Marra, JJ, McLean

Could be any 2 of Gardner, Keath & Darcy depending on preseason tbh. Probably short a defender so I’d hope Cleary or even Gallagher can come on - maybe even Buku could take a spot and release Richards a little more.

I’d even be happy for Williams/Dale to both play wing/HB throughout the match rotating depending on match ups, game scenario etc. On the other wing Baz & Treloar can rotate through wing/HFF and through the guts. This gives us really good flexibility in the side, struggling to bring the ball out of defence Dale can go back, struggling with a small forward getting on top or need a bigger body Williams can go back etc.

McLean a bit of a utility, could honestly see him play HF, Wing, HB or even in the guts if needed.

The rest of the side picks itself, with a full list there’s really no reason we shouldn’t have a well balanced team with none of the butcherbois wasting spots from week to week. Team selection has to be right this year there’s no excuses

Wings far too slow for my liking there
In my mind Williams would essentially be the 7th defender with B.smith/West/Treloar pushing up into the midfield to clear space in the forward line for our tall timber to lead into, ideally limiting them all running into each other.

B: Bailey Williams Bailey Williams Bailey Williams
HB: Bailey Williams Bailey Williams Bailey Williams
C: Bailey Williams Bailey Williams Bailey Williams
HF: Bailey Williams Bailey Williams Bailey Williams
F: Bailey Williams Bailey Williams Bailey Williams

Fol: Bailey Williams Bailey Williams Bailey Williams

Int: Bailey Williams Bailey Williams Bailey Williams & Bailey Dale

There could be a few wildcards this year:

- Bruce is training at fullback - interesting because we have Jones, Keath as key backs. Gardner as back up. Maybe worried about Keath’s fitness. He is our highest goal scoring forward and like Tomahawk I believe better as full forward.

- Williams on the wing could be preparing him for the transition back to midfield. Has had a whole year to work on his tank and is a seriously big fella. Would be a perfect replacement for Dunkley. On the other hand having Smith and Trelor in the guts will give us the speed we haven’t had.

- Who will take the opportunity for Dunkley’s spot: McLean was averaging 25+ before he got injured and should be favourite but could be West, or Williams or probably mostly likely BSmith.

- Emergence of García, West and Jamarra - three super talent youngsters who should step up this year. Should also see Cleary coming on. Darcy could be on of the games best but so common to have second year blues.

- Re-emergence of McLean, Keath, Crozier and Bruce - all are best 22 in form. Perhaps the most important will be a return to form for Macrae (does anyone know what happened for his drop off at end of the year)

- Wings: unstable this year with half the team getting a go there and no one owning it. Roarke was fantastic at end of the year and has probably earned pole position. Will Bedendo come through, is this Daniel’s new role, can McNeil keep developing, do we keep Trelor and B.Smith rotating? Will the persevere with Williams. We need this position to add real run and also be a legitimate outward target to slingshot out of defence - currently weakest part of our makeup

- Will they or won’t they? Bevo’s bromance with Hannan has to show something - has given him every chance and has not grabbed these. His speed is something we need but he sh!ts the bed and can’t hold a mark despite going for lots of hangers. TOB has a role if he can grab it but was very disappointing last year. Daniel had an off year as we couldn’t find a place and keep him there. Bevo like moving him around but he is too good to not be given a role. Khamis could be anything and has the talent just needs the consistency. Sweet will need to show significant improvement.

- Scott and McNeil have both showed good signs. Scott could be long term Doc replacement and McNeil for JJ. McComb was picked for a specific skill set - inside bull - tackling and hard running - showed glimpses but skills are a real worry. Can’t see how he goes if Sullivan comes in - in VFL games it seemed like Sullivan was ahead of him last year (closer watchers may have a better feel).

- how to play all the talls. In the first year since Moses played for the Apostles- we have more talls than we know what to do with. Can’t really play Bruce, Naughton, Mara, Darcy and Lobb in forward line. And Keath, Jones, Gardner might be too tall if you could believe it but also talk of a Bruce going back - not sure why. A lot of best 22’s leave out Keath and Bruce - we can have short memories. Fit these two are our best at each end. Injuries will play a role but how will these all work.

My best 22:

Flea Bruce Lobb
Mara Naughton West

English Bont Libba
Roarke Macrae Trelor

Richards Keath Dale
Duryea Jones Khamis/Cleary

BSmith, Daniel, Darcy, McLean, Williams

Depending on match ups - García, JJ

Expect that by training Bruce as a back they are planning on being more attacking in defence with Gardner being replaced by a mid defender like Khamis or Cleary.

- Bruce is training at fullback - interesting because we have Jones, Keath as key backs. Gardner as back up. Maybe worried about Keath’s fitness. He is our highest goal scoring forward and like Tomahawk I believe better as full forward.
At this stage we can't consider Gardner the backup any longer. He was 7th in our best and fairest, meanwhile:
  • Keath was visibly struggling to get through games
  • Darcy is still way too raw, and may be playing forward anyway
  • Jones just spent the last year in the QAFL
  • Bruce is still getting back up to full fitness from his ACL, and was never any good as a KPD so may be a while before he's contributing meaningfully
Gardner would currently be the first selected KPD unless we happened to move Naughton back (which seems incredibly unlikely). It's then a question of which two of Keath, Darcy, Jones and Bruce is playing round 1.

My best 22 is:

Fb - Duryea Jones Keath/Gardner

Chb - Richards Naughton Dale

M - Smith Libba Bendendo

Chf - Garcia Lobb JUH

Ff - West Bruce weightman

Mid - English Bont Macrae

Inter - Daniel Jj McLean Treloar Darcy

Next in line: Williams, Scott, Khamis, Cleary, VDM, sweet & Hannan

Really bullish on how we can perform this year.

Our team feels a bit more balanced and our talls at both end are much more capable. Our depth should also be much stronger.

The weak links for me are a hard running wingman, medium/small lockdown defender and a pressure forward with goal sense. If Bendendo, Cleary and Clarke lockdown these roles we will go a long way.

Depending on how their preseasons go, Clarke and Gallagher could be pushing for a spot in the forward pocket & wing respectively.

I'd like us to encourage this talent, rather than just filling the gaps with slower, blander, crack in types... (not naming names)

It might take a while to come up to speed, but try to develop and utilize their complimentary skills (speed, aggressive, ball movement, kicking) on top of what we already have in spades...

FB: Duryea, Jones, Richards
HB: Dale, Gardner, Darcy/Keath
C: Williams, Libba, BSmith
HF: Treloar, Naughton, JUH
FF: Weightman, Lobb, Clarke
F: English, Bont, Macrae
I: Daniel, McLean, West, JJ

Clarke gets the nod out of our draftees to come in and play his role. Garcia could be the 23rd man.

Even though we Bradburied into the
Finals last year - we did play finals and of the main contributors to our best team we lose Dunkley and Hunter (where we have coverage) and gained Lobb, Jones, Keath and Bruce and McLean and hopefully a fit and firing Macrae, Crozier and lost Duryea for critical games. We also have the majority of our team still a few years away from their peak 27-31

Remove this Banner Ad

Back