Best H&A games from last season to rewatch from your team?

Remove this Banner Ad

specq

Senior List
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Packers
'Tis the season where I have some time on my hands. Every year I enjoy watching some H&A games I might have missed or that are worth a rewatch.

The criteria:

High scoring
Multiple lead changes
Reasonably close in Q4.
Quality play (I always like me some pressure acts, tackles and desperation - and always like to see elite disposal by hand or by foot.)
Bonus if some of the young guns from your team show a bit.

Basically just looking for the games that make you look forward to next season.

For an example - I very much enjoyed watching this morning the Hawks v Pies match from Round 15. Had pretty much everything I listed above.

What are some others I should give a look in on?

'Tis the season where I have some time on my hands. Every year I enjoy watching some H&A games I might have missed or that are worth a rewatch.

The criteria:

High scoring
Multiple lead changes
Reasonably close in Q4.
Quality play (I always like me some pressure acts, tackles and desperation - and always like to see elite disposal by hand or by foot.)
Bonus if some of the young guns from your team show a bit.

Basically just looking for the games that make you look forward to next season.

For an example - I very much enjoyed watching this morning the Hawks v Pies match from Round 15. Had pretty much everything I listed above.

What are some others I should give a look in on?

Hawthorn V Geelong Rd 6, 1989.

2014 V Hawks at the MCG
7pt loss by the guys away against the best team in the comp.
Couple of spectacular goals by WHE (sigh) to keep us in the hunt and a breakout game by Lachie Whitfield. Mostly because the guys showed they were learning to keep their heads up under pressure.
Interesting aside is Bolton was senior coach for the Hawks with Clarkson ill.

Our wins against Richmond and Melbourne at the MCG were good. One after the siren, the other with a minute left.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last quarter vs Richmond was atrocious but for 27 seconds.

Vs StKilda was good but for the loss, Michael Walters was as good as any, ever!

The best game as a team and result was against Melbourne, both teams played well!

Our run home in 2005 where we just missed on the 8 was some of the best high scoring footy I've ever seen.

Did a number on Geelong and West Coast who were finals bound, had a classic seesawing shootout with a declining Brisbane, saw off Richmond in another shootout and just came up short against Melbourne in R21 where Jeff White dived for a free from a boundary throw in and nailed a set shot from 50 in front of the Olympic in the dying seconds, some great footy we played across them 5-6 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port v Brisbane 2002 final round or 2003 Rd 17... classics.
Two teams at the top of their games going toe to toe....

Sorry folks - I should have perhaps been more clear that I meant games from just this past season. I don't have access to every H&A game ever. And I'm not sure how the young guns firing in a game from 10 years ago is going to make you excited for the upcoming season. This was meant to be a tune-up for next season so I'll be more familiar with some of the players I haven't really noticed til now.

Another example. I also just rewatched the Hawks defeat Adelaide in Adelaide in Round 14. Burton really played a good game, and Howe and Hardwick acquitted themselves admirably as well. This was also the infamous "Let's mic up Hodgey and listen to him yell at people" game. So that was fun.

It's always worth watching a good upset, especially when the teams are so far separated on the ladder and the game is on the favorite's home deck.

Sorry folks - I should have perhaps been more clear that I meant games from just this past season. I don't have access to every H&A game ever. And I'm not sure how the young guns firing in a game from 10 years ago is going to make you excited for the upcoming season. This was meant to be a tune-up for next season so I'll be more familiar with some of the players I haven't really noticed til now.

Another example. I also just rewatched the Hawks defeat Adelaide in Adelaide in Round 14. Burton really played a good game, and Howe and Hardwick acquitted themselves admirably as well. This was also the infamous "Let's mic up Hodgey and listen to him yell at people" game. So that was fun.

It's always worth watching a good upset, especially when the teams are so far separated on the ladder and the game is on the favorite's home deck.
Oops
Definitely the Collingwood game at Spotless for us then. We were jumped early fought back by halftime and the game see-sawed from there, with both teams playing good footy.
We won in The last minute with a huge Wilson kick out to the centre to group running through. Topped off with a Stevie J crumbed goal for our first win against the Pies.
Our crowds are not famous for being animated but we were leaving the ground that night.

Last edited:

Good off-season thread .

Cognoscenti say the Swans-Crows game was one of the best of the year but my personal favourite is 'MARK MARK MARK!!!' v Essendon.

The Tigers game, in which the premiers scored the first six goals and still lost, is also quite satisfying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back