VFL Game Day Box Hill vs Essendon, Box Hill City Oval, 24/06/18 @ 2:10 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Um... you forgot Green in the OUTS
(although I agree with the 3 you named.)
Lol was just thinkin that. I understand that you prob cant play them all at the same time due to team balance but would much rather see these kids get more time at senior level than some of the blokes we have in there tbh

I though his disposal was pretty poor on a few occasions including that shot on goal that he really should have nailed. I’d have atleast 5 players comfortably more impactful

Everyone’s disposal was pretty poor today. Except for Ridley.

Pressure wise Long was head and shoulders the best.

Dea is 26, if you think he’s not good enough, that’s fine, but looking to the future shouldn’t exclude him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dea us a good player and makes very few mistakes. The problem is we seem to have too many backs and no inside mids at the moment

Absolute ripper of a game. Nobody played badly, Stewart was average and Merrett wasn't at his best but one of the best VFL games I've been to. Francis was fantastic, Ridley looked assured and Longy was one of the best live.

Also, immense manlove for Hocking. His last quarter was utterly brilliant and showed why he's the captain of the side.

That was a pretty good game of footy with a lot of AFL listed players on both sides.

Francis and Ridley both a very good chance to get in the seniors next week. Francis marking is superb, he's kind of like Hurley in the way he plays but with Hooker's marking overhead. Francis is also very strong in one on one contests.
Ridley is just that talented tall guy who is clean with everything he does and is a great kick. He's probably a lot like Andrew Mackie right now but he could be anything in the future.

Long or Laverde could replace Green. Both played good games. Colyer is probably a chance too but I wouldn't pick him personally before those 2.

Clarke and Mutch are ready when required. Some of the little things Mutch does really endear me to him, he's just a smart footballer that does things well going both ways. There was one bit of intercept defensive work that he did that was just excellent. I could really see the benefit of having another taller mid that has good running capacity and can help out in the air.

In the future I really look forward to both Zerk-Thatcher and Draper. Zerk-Thatcher reads the play extremely well and has terrific closing speed. Draper can do the freakish but probably still needs to build fundamentals for a while yet (kind of like a ruck version of McKenna in his early years).

Okay, player by player analysis time

#10 Aaron Francis: Excellent. Bring him in.

#14 Jordan Ridley: Very composed with ball in hand and played really well.

#17 James Stewart: Quiet from Jimmy but was flying against 2 or 3 most times and worked hard to create space for the other forwards

#19 Kobe Mutch: Accumulative. Did a lot of good.

#20 Jackson Merrett: Average game and shouldn't be on the list next year but would love for him to stay in or VFL system.

#22 Matthew Leuenberger: Very good. Two crucial goals

#24 Jordan Houlahan: Did some nice things.

#29 Paddy Ambrose. Didn't really notice him or his man that much. Couple of nice intercept marks.

#30 Brandon Zerk-Thatcher: Loved his duel with Mitch Lewis.

#32 Travis Colyer: Good without being great. Probably not this week for me.

#33 Jayden Laverde: Solid. Again, probably not this week for me.

#34 Jake Long: Best on for me. Had a ripper game and I hope he replaces Green

#36 Michael Hartley: Solid again. Took some nice grabs.

#37 Dylan Clarke: Excellent first half.

#38 Sam Draper: Up there for one of his best games.

#39 Trent Mynott: Was solid for the little I saw of him.

#40 Luke Lavender: Think he's more defender than forward at this stage,

#41 Ben McNiece: Solid game. Did what he does.

EDIT: I'll do the VFL boys as well, because why not?

#55 Danny Younan: I love this guy so much. You know why? Because even on a quiet day he manages to bob up at the end and kick a clutch goal.

#57 Nick Hind: As I've said below, I love the guy. Speed, aggressiveness, and kicks clutch goals. Love him to bits. Please stay at Essendon.

#59 Aaron Heppell: Holy hell he's the next captain. So assured of himself. His progression from that 2015 final against Footscray has been immense. Real sliding doors moment for him, I think he would have been cut if not for that.

#62 Nino Lazzaro: This kid is really exciting. Best 23rd player performance I have seen since Ferry started here.

#77 Heath Hocking: Oh captain my captain. His last quarter was immense.

Last edited:
. There was one bit of intercept defensive work that he did that was just excellent. I could really see the benefit of having another taller mid that has good running capacity and can help out in the air.

He has a weird ability to take front position in marking contests he was never in. Just slides in front and actually competes like he was leading at the ball, most people in the same position come flying in and give away frees for front on contact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hind's kicking is too poor. Has the speed, the tenacity but mature agers can't have that big a flaw in their game if they want to get drafted

Hind's kicking is too poor. Has the speed, the tenacity but mature agers can't have that big a flaw in their game if they want to get drafted
I haven’t ever noticed his kicking as particularly bad. He’s not Darren Jarman but I’d back the sum of his parts to equate to decent AFL performance.

I haven’t ever noticed his kicking as particularly bad. He’s not Darren Jarman but I’d back the sum of his parts to equate to decent AFL performance.
He always has a couple of really bad shanks a game, and when he's off it goes up to 6 or 7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back