Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think with time, Adelaide are going to be extremely happy with their pick ups in this draft and not be too fussed with not picking up Gibbs. He isn't the difference between winning/losing a premiership for them, I think its little things like Pyke's midfield changes which will pay dividends. Their midfield is better than people act like it is.

Hopefully he gets his wish in 2018

Dealt the worst hand through no fault of his own

Sad to see such a talent not on the finals stage

Hopefully plays similar to his effort in 2016. We're going to struggle big time in the midfield, so keeping him on for this year was a priority. Can also see why Adelaide didn't want to trade Atkins.

If he asks for a trade at the end of this season, I think we'll look to accommodate him and come up with a reasonable deal.

You're kidding aren't you?
He opted to sign the long term deal which Carlton has every right to hold him to.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Not what I mean

Was drafted to a struggling club, poorly run, while Selwood by comparison gets drafted to Geelong

No one's forcing him to stay here.

He's continued to sign contracts even when we've been down - the last being in 2014 when we slipped a bit.

Maybe he has mates there and he wanted to be loyal, then when Carlton admitted they were rebuilding, after denying it for ages, he sees the writing on the wall

Maybe he has mates there and he wanted to be loyal, then when Carlton admitted they were rebuilding, after denying it for ages, he sees the writing on the wall

Yeh, but again, nobody forced him to sign a long-term contract. It might have been ill-conceived, but this sort of stuff happens to players all the time, and there's a very good chance he'll get his wish at the end of this season.

Not sure where the denying it for ages comes from? We were undoubtably s**t in 2015 but didn't go into the year intending to rebuild. As soon as the season concluded, Bolton came in and declared that was the case. That's complete transparency.

Strange comment.

Yeh, but again, nobody forced him to sign a long-term contract. It might have been ill-conceived, but this sort of stuff happens to players all the time, and there's a very good chance he'll get his wish at the end of this season.

Not sure where the denying it for ages comes from? We were undoubtably s**t in 2015 but didn't go into the year intending to rebuild. As soon as the season concluded, Bolton came in and declared that was the case. That's complete transparency.

Strange comment.

I disagree

I disagree

At the end of 2014, when Gibbo signed the long-term deal we traded in mature players to elevate our position on the ladder for the next season. We retained a lot of dud players and at the start of 2015 Malthouse claimed we wouldn't lose a game all year. We were actively aiming to win games and get back into finals contention.

In 2015 we went out trying to win as many as possible, got found out as a very average team and had to make-do with whoever we had on our list at the time, winning a few good games but ultimately we came last. Straight after Bolts came in and declared we were rebuilding the list.

So, how again we were denying we were rebuilding?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malthouse was sacked because the Carlton President said Malthouse was not alligned with the clubs four Pillars to rebuild the club.

The club announced the rebuild last year of Malthouse tenure.. but Malthouse was hired by Swann to win a flag and thats what he tried to do

I agree with the Carlton supporters.
He chose to sign a long term deal and enjoy the security that comes with it. The flipside to that is you are committed to that club for that term and they have final say if he can be traded out.

His manager sbould have considered this possibility before getting Gibbs to sign long term.

Carlton's only crime is in wanting more than we are willing to pay for him in terms of trade value. They have every right to keep him if they don't get what they see as fair value for him. Even if that means keeping him when that valuation is out of kilter with the rest of the industry's view on his value.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I agree with the Carlton supporters.
He chose to sign a long term deal and enjoy the security that comes with it. The flipside to that is you are committed to that club for that term and they have final say if he can be traded out.

His manager sbould have considered this possibility before getting Gibbs to sign long term.

Carlton's only crime is in wanting more than we are willing to pay for him in terms of trade value. They have every right to keep him if they don't get what they see as fair value for him. Even if that means keeping him when that valuation is out of kilter with the rest of the industry's view on his value.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Do you know who his manager was when he signed the deal?

At the end of 2014, when Gibbo signed the long-term deal we traded in mature players to elevate our position on the ladder for the next season. We retained a lot of dud players and at the start of 2015 Malthouse claimed we wouldn't lose a game all year. We were actively aiming to win games and get back into finals contention.

In 2015 we went out trying to win as many as possible, got found out as a very average team and had to make-do with whoever we had on our list at the time, winning a few good games but ultimately we came last. Straight after Bolts came in and declared we were rebuilding the list.

So, how again we were denying we were rebuilding?

You just explained how the club denied it needed to rebuild

It recruited mature age players when blind Freddy could see the list was cooked

An over the hill Malthouse, thinking Liam Jones and Blaine Boekhurst were the answers

This was the denial

Fair enough giving Malthouse a couple of years to crack a top 4 spot, but when that fell through, the rebuild had to happen, it was put off for a year

Fair enough giving Malthouse a couple of years to crack a top 4 spot, but when that fell through, the rebuild had to happen, it was put off for a year
Contracts are contracts. We have a salary cap and Malthouse signed players in line (and longer) than his contract. We had to live with his choices and mistakes.

The club was clear about needing to rebuild very early in the year Malthouse was sacked.

You just explained how the club denied it needed to rebuild

It recruited mature age players when blind Freddy could see the list was cooked

An over the hill Malthouse, thinking Liam Jones and Blaine Boekhurst were the answers

This was the denial

"Maybe he has mates there and he wanted to be loyal, then when Carlton admitted they were rebuilding, after denying it for ages, he sees the writing on the wall"

Explain how we've ever denied we were rebuilding? That's the key point here.

No doubt internally we needed to, I think that is what you are getting at, but you've just changed the goal posts.

May as well open this one back up.

I was happy to keep Gibbs for this season, but I think with some growth in our midfield, we'll be more open to trading him at the end of the year. At very least, the dialogue will open up much earlier this time round.

A first rounder, McGovern and Ricciuto circa 2003 should get the deal done.

Is there any reason why Carlton can not re-negotiate Gibbs contract to end at 2017 so he can go to Adelaide as a free agent and we would get band 1 compensation, likely to be pick 2 or 3?

Is there any reason why Carlton can not re-negotiate Gibbs contract to end at 2017 so he can go to Adelaide as a free agent and we would get band 1 compensation, likely to be pick 2 or 3?

Yeah, I'm a sure the AFL and all the other clubs will sit back while you purposefully manipulate the draft.

Yeah, I'm a sure the AFL and all the other clubs will sit back while you purposefully manipulate the draft.

The question is though, besides Gills stick saying that would be a bad look and we would prefer if you didnt... Is there anything in the rules that would prevent it from happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back