Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think Adelaide swapping Lever for Gibbs and pick 28 is them getting the correct value for Lever? Would you swap Weitering for Travis Boak and pick 28?

Unfortunately bad comparison, Weitering is a no 1 pick, either CHB or CHF which we need who doesn't want to go home.

But if he did want to leave and was surplus too needs and we were in the window like the Crows are, then I just might...

Lever while being a pick 14, is OOC and if you believe what you hear wants to go home.

Adelaide will need to make a deal for this debats sake Melbourne, if you don't like pick 28 then make it a rising player of theirs (like I originally said)

It's relative to premiership windows mate.

If your clubs falls just short, I expect they would do that deal, with something coming back the other way as a later pick

Gibbs & Melbourne's 27 to Adelaide, pick 10 to Carlton, Lever & Adelaides pick 35 to Melbourne

That doesn't seem too unfair to me.
Lever is worth 2x Gibbs.

If Carlton want more than our 1st rounder, then he remains a Blue.

Just because we are in a premiership window doesn't mean we will make silly traded.

Lever is worth 2x Gibbs.

If Carlton want more than our 1st rounder, then he remains a Blue.

Just because we are in a premiership window doesn't mean we will make silly traded.

I don't think you understood my trade hypothesis properly.

Adelaide lose Lever, but gain Gibbs and upgrade a 2nd round pick. You keep your 1st round pick also.

If they would rather keep pick 10, forget about Gibbs and downgrade their 2nd round pick, then so be it.

I don't think you understood my trade hypothesis properly.

Adelaide lose Lever, but gain Gibbs and upgrade a 2nd round pick. You keep your 1st round pick also.

If they would rather keep pick 10, forget about Gibbs and downgrade their 2nd round pick, then so be it.
Your suggestion was we swap Lever for Gibbs & a 2nd round upgrade, which is ridiculous!

The only 1st round pick you mentioned went to Carlton.

Perhaps change your post if this wasn't what you meant.

Your suggestion was we swap Lever for Gibbs & a 2nd round upgrade, which is ridiculous!

Okay. I didn't think it was that bad, and Gibbs is a good player.

Are you expecting 2 x 1st round picks for Lever? If so, then I echo your ridiculous response.

Okay. I didn't think it was that bad, and Gibbs is a good player.

Are you expecting 2 x 1st round picks for Lever? If so, then I echo your ridiculous response.
You honestly think the difference between Lever & Gibbs is a 2nd round upgrade of 8 picks?

Seriously?

You do understand their age difference.

How about we trade you our Scott Thompson for Ben Brown & we will upgrade your 3rd rounder for our 2nd rounder?

To be fair, I think he was echoing my earlier suggestion but mis-understood.

It wasn't a 2nd round upgrade but was for Melbournes 2nd round pick or one of their rising guns.

Effectively turning Lever into Gibbs and Dees 2nd pick or one of their rising guns.

Your 1st and 2nd picks intact.

You honestly think the difference between Lever & Gibbs is a 2nd round upgrade of 8 picks?

Seriously?

If the Crows see Gibbs as the difference for a premiership?

Yes.

Gibbs still has 4 years of footy left in him.

Unfortunately bad comparison, Weitering is a no 1 pick, either CHB or CHF which we need who doesn't want to go home.

But if he did want to leave and was surplus too needs and we were in the window like the Crows are, then I just might...

Lever while being a pick 14, is OOC and if you believe what you hear wants to go home.

Adelaide will need to make a deal for this debats sake Melbourne, if you don't like pick 28 then make it a rising player of theirs (like I originally said)
While Lever may have been pick 14 he has outplayed Weitering. Once the draft is over where they got taken means nothing. Because we got Laird in the Rookie draft is he worth less than say Jimmy Toumpas who was pick 4? Lever is worth every bit what Weitering is. Jake made the AA squad this year. Has Weitering made it yet?
Now who ends up the better player wont be known for years to come. However the question still remains. When he is out of contract and if he wanted a trade to Collingwood, would you accept an older player in the realm of Boak or Gibbs plus a middle second rounder? Would SOS accept that? No.
Well then why would we?
Adelaide has already said they want two firsts and thats what they will push for.
We will offer our first rounder and maybe some steak knifes or upgrade your third with our second.
If you get Rocky then I think SOS will let Gibbs go for a normal value. I think he realizes he hurt the future of the club by not getting a player like Hayward or SPP for the long term.

To be fair, I think he was echoing my earlier suggestion but mis-understood.

It wasn't a 2nd round upgrade but was for Melbournes 2nd round pick or one of their rising guns.

Effectively turning Lever into Gibbs and Dees 2nd pick or one of their rising guns.

Your 1st and 2nd picks intact.
Lol. So we know that Weitering is only worth a mid first and second at the trade table. Nice.

Lol. So we know that Weitering is only worth a mid first and second at the trade table. Nice.

Lol, nice way to take what you want to suit your argument.

Let's compare Weitering to Lever in 2 years once Weiters hits the age Lever is now.

And FYI where thy get drafted is all relative to worth, not so much to the buying club, but definitely to the selling club.

If you can't see that then, not going to waste my time with you.

You can't even see that from my 1st post that both sides are either going to walk away feeling a little ripped off or feeling happy.

After trade week I'll come back and see who's NTP.

A
I would rather take the punt on a pick 10 kid who has 12 years of service to give than three of an aging Gibbs, especially when we dont need him.

That's Adelaide's perogative just excersise it , as long as the unsettling influence targeting Bryce Gibbs stops.
What the Crows stooped to last year via media was purial and unprofessional. Bryce is a quality player otherwise we would not be still debating his probable value after 300 pages .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree we got too greedy last year and should have taken the rumoured deal of the first rounder and Lyons. I also agree you have a deep midfield, despite the fact that this time last year you would not have known the Crouch's and Greenwood would have a breakout year. As far as the arrogant "rubbish team like Carlton" comment you have proven your ignorance there as (1) there is no denying the quality of the majority of our current list - we have plenty of 2014/2015 Crouch's and (2) it is a lot easier getting a kick as a free running midfielder in a dominant team than a developing young team with a defensive gameplan. Gibbs would be a perfect fit for Adelaide in my opinion. Gibbs is probably the closest thing available to the Silk Burgoyne-type goal chain mid you need to perfect the list you have while it is peaking. I am amazed you can't see that.

Gibbs would be a good addition, he's a solid B-grade player who has a few A-grade games each season. But we won't be paying a premium and nor should Carlton receive one because we are in a 'window' or because his contract was frontloaded and has 2 years to run. His value to us is his value as a footballer with 3 years at his current level, one of which would be free as we'd get him as an UFA. If you want more, then you will keep him, which is obviously a good outcome anyway because you need him for the reasons often posted. But overpaying for players at the trade table or with salary cap is a certain step along the path to nowhere.

Nonsense. Midfielders in better sides with better transition get better delivery and more of it!

No they don't, there's only so many possession to go around. Being a forward in a good team immediately increases opportunity to gain possession, and that's before taking into account increased quality of delivery. Being a midfielder in a strong midfield means sharing minutes amongst more teammates, which means more time resting in roles with less opportunity to gain possessions. It's not a difficult concept to understand if you actually attempt to get your head around it. Jarryd Lyons is the perfect example of a fringe at Adelaide that played mostly at half forward and got few midfield minutes because of his place in the pecking order. Off he goes to the coast, get's more midfield time and he adds about 30% to his possession tally.

If the Crows see Gibbs as the difference for a premiership?

Yes.

Gibbs still has 4 years of footy left in him.
It's a complete misnomer to think the Crows badly need Gibbs to win the flag.

Sure he would be nice, but we are doing perfectly fine without him.

We are not in a position where we are desperate to pay overs, despite what many on here think.

Also, Gibbs can't be guaranteed for 4 more years. That is guesswork.

It's a complete misnomer to think the Crows badly need Gibbs to win the flag.

Sure he would be nice, but we are doing perfectly fine without him.

We are not in a position where we are desperate to pay overs, despite what many on here think.

Also, Gibbs can't be guaranteed for 4 more years. That is guesswork.

It's all guesswork pal. Good readers of the ball tend to play a few years longer than others.

A

That's Adelaide's perogative just excersise it , as long as the unsettling influence targeting Bryce Gibbs stops.
What the Crows stooped to last year via media was purial and unprofessional. Bryce is a quality player otherwise we would not be still debating his probable value after 300 pages .
Purial?

It's all guesswork pal. Good readers of the ball tend to play a few years longer than others.
No, those players who play longer tend to have their bodies hold together... & yes, it is a bit of guesswork.

Not everyone is a Harvey freak!

28 currently and 29 before next season starts. Will most likely slow down a lot in the next couple of years. Worth about what we paid for Lewis who was a much better player, traded at the same age.

I think that is a bit of a stretch. You guys got a magnificent deal with Lewis. The difference is that Carlton quite rightly wanted to keep Gibbs because they do want to be competitive in their rebuild and hopefully win a few games against the lower lights and match it for periods against better sides. Hawks were effectively pushing out their veterans to make room for their refresh. Gibbs was worth our first last year plus a little sweetener, which we apparently offered. I'd say that our first this year might be overpaying slightly, but I won't complain if the deal is done for that. But I doubt that it will get the deal done and I expect Gibbs to remain a blue. Having said that, SOS may have been able to plan to bring in a senior mid on the cheap and that might result in letting Gibbs go for his actual value plus a little bit.

Should your club fall short again this year, at some point they're going to need to take the leap and pay the price on recruiting the missing pieces to the premiership puzzle, or risk missing the window altogether. That may or may not necessarily be Gibbs, but the most successful club of recent times has shown that it's not incongruent to long term success to recruit players who are late in their career with early picks.

They don't overpay though, do they?

It's relative to premiership windows mate.

If your clubs falls just short, I expect they would do that deal, with something coming back the other way as a later pick

Gibbs & Melbourne's 27 to Adelaide, pick 10 to Carlton, Lever & Adelaides pick 35 to Melbourne

That doesn't seem too unfair to me.

How'd your top up with missing flag pieces go?

Forward plays better in front of a contending team, stop the presses, it must also be true of midfielders. Simple thinking at its best.
Gibbs can find it and can distribute it....would you honestly prefer the ball in a Crouch brothers hand or Gibbs? Dare I suggest Gibbs would be the preferred option by the Crows coaching staff and wouldn't struggle but would excel in a better team.

Im not here to discuss value really as that is what it will be if the teams agree. I am only here to ask the question when supporters try to devalue players so they get them on the cheap in their minds. Rating Douglas ahead of Gibbs is simple, but hey you didn't want to pick that poster up on it...

There's less available information with Gibbs. He's played only a couple of his years as an inside/outside midfielder. Most of his career was as an unaccountable half back, so we don't know how durable his body is in his current role. Could start to break down quickly, which is why you don't factor in anything other than the norm. Which is that at 29 years old, we'll get 2-3 years at his current level before he declines. He could go for 6 more years or he could fall apart at 31. You don't factor either into the value at the trade table, you take the middle ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back