Injury Callum Brown sidelined by glandular fever

Remove this Banner Ad

I had it and was completely fine in 2 weeks but I know some people and it had them bedridden for months, it can get quite nasty but some people can shrug it off
I had for about 2-3 weeks too and completely recovered. Most people do when it's picked up early.

I had it and was completely fine in 2 weeks but I know some people and it had them bedridden for months, it can get quite nasty but some people can shrug it off
I got it when I was 19 and I was bedridden for a month and lost about 5kgs (which is pretty significant considering I was only 72kgs at the time). Took me another 2 weeks to get back to full time work. Had to work half days initially.

In terms of blips on the radar this is as minor as it gets at Collingwood. Rest up Callum and we'll see you in the second half of the season!
I'm surprised people are getting so upset TBH. Unless he has a severe case it's not going to set him back much. Ben Kennedy had it too a couple of years ago and he was only out of action for about 3 weeks from memory.

I haven't kept track of the sufferers of the years, here's a list of names I've gleaned that have had it..
Pendles
Goldsack
Broomhead
Kennedy
C.Brown

Any others?

Yep.

Consider him written off for 2017. He won't be playing seniors this year. Be lucky to play VFL.

Ed don't fan hysteria. This is just incorrect. You have no idea how long his recovery will be but its much more likely to be a few weeks or a month statistically

Please let this be Brown's first and last setback.

Broomy had this too, in his second year? As GC noted its surprisingly common, and if accounts are correct he's had a swift diagnosis and will now be cared for and managed back to health. And quickly, hopefully.

I had for about 2-3 weeks too and completely recovered. Most people do when it's picked up early.

On the contrary most people recover best when the diagnosis is not made.

Well it would be interesting to know if the incidence of glandular is higher in AFL football players/high end sports people than the rest of the population. Perhaps this is something sporting clubs need to manage for.

95% of the population get IM. Most don't know they have ever had it. It's not more common in sportspeople

To be fair just about everyone reading this post has had IM. Most people won't have been diagnosed because symptoms were never severe enough to warrant investigation.The severity varies and a lot of people have no symptoms of just those of a viral sore throat. People who get it badly remember it and talk about it more so it's severity probably gets magnified to the person in the street.

As to your misdiagnosis you were not misdiagnosed 4 times with just having a virus because that's exactly what you had, a virus. Whether someone put a name to the virus earlier wont to have changed your recovery period. There is no "proper care" as such apart from rest which is what you were receiving if you were hospitalised for weeks. I am not trying to knock you but it's common for people to read all sorts of things into their own illness which don't stand up to scrutiny. I am only saying this to point out that the prognosis for Callum is likely no where near as bad as you are imaging. Nasty cases of IM can linger but the majority don't.

It doesn't have to take a year or 2 to recover. That can happen if you get a post viral syndrome but most people don't and recover fully in a few weeks. Whether the glandular fever was a cause of you not having endurance return for years is impossible to prove but I understand how people read such things into their own case.

Callum still has every chance to have an impact in 2017.
Great post and many thanks.
This might sound dumb but what does IM stand and for? Immunity?

Anyway it's good to know this area of health etc from a medical practitioner, puts some perspective on it.
It really is appreaciated.

I'm surprised people are getting so upset TBH. Unless he has a severe case it's not going to set him back much. Ben Kennedy had it too a couple of years ago and he was only out of action for about 3 weeks from memory.
Yeh but Ben ken was 6 foot tall when he got it, now, well he's shrunk hasn't he......

Great post and many thanks.
This might sound dumb but what does IM stand and for? Immunity?

Anyway it's good to know this area of health etc from a medical practitioner, puts some perspective on it.
It really is appreaciated.
IM, Infectious Mononucleosis, medical name for Glandular fever. Predominatly cause by the Epstein Barr virus which is one of the viruses from the Herpes family. Other viruses in this group are Herpes Simplex 1 and 2 (cold sores, genital herpes), Cytomegalovirus (CMV) and Varicella-Zoster (chicken pox, shingles). Characteristic of these viruses is their ability to have reactivation infections of virus stored in nerve roots from the initial primary infection

Think shingles after chicken pox or recurrent cold sores, gential herpes infections. These are not new infections rather your body being infected by virus which as been dormant in your own body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IM, Infectious Mononucleosis, medical name for Glandular fever. Predominatly cause by the Epstein Barr virus which is one of the viruses from the Herpes family. Other viruses in this group are Herpes Simplex 1 and 2 (cold sores, genital herpes), Cytomegalovirus (CMV) and Varicella-Zoster (chicken pox, shingles). Characteristic of these viruses is their ability to have reactivation infections of virus stored in nerve roots from the initial primary infection

Think shingles after chicken pox or recurrent cold sores, gential herpes infections. These are not new infections rather your body being infected by virus which as been dormant in your own body.
Many thanks.
I learn something new everyday.
And I do like to learn things
Cheers

60f02bcf8c88e572ca9fd0c0c200873d.jpg

Ed don't fan hysteria. This is just incorrect. You have no idea how long his recovery will be but its much more likely to be a few weeks or a month statistically

Really?

Every other time I've heard of a player having Glandular fever it's knocked them out for the season (not PURELY on the glandular fever itself, but combined fever, recovery etc.) in terms of senior appearances.

Didn't Goldsack miss almost an entire season a while back with Glandular fever. I know Broomhead lost basically a season to it. It's apparently really really bad isn't it? Or did Goldsack miss part of the season? It was quite a while back.

Really?

Every other time I've heard of a player having Glandular fever it's knocked them out for the season (not PURELY on the glandular fever itself, but combined fever, recovery etc.) in terms of senior appearances.

Didn't Goldsack miss almost an entire season a while back with Glandular fever. I know Broomhead lost basically a season to it. It's apparently really really bad isn't it? Or did Goldsack miss part of the season? It was quite a while back.
Severity varies greatly. You can be knocked out anywhere from a week or two to months. Severe cases are the exception, not the norm. Of all the posters here, you should take GC's on face value when it comes to medical stuff, he is a doctor after all.

Really?

Love how you're being told to calm down given pervious experiences of our players missing games espeically in recent years.

Really?

Ed have you read any of the above posts. Severe cases of glandular fever can involve a post viral syndrome characterised by lethergy, malaise and a struggle to return to full activity for a protracted period. They are the exception rather than the rule.

Most recoveries are in terms of weeks. How did you go when you recovered from being infected by the IM virus? Did you get wiped out for a long period of time? I ask that because you have almost been certainly a victim of being infected at some stage of your life but were probably never diagnosed, just like the rest of us. Many common virus have a wide range of severity of infections. A few bad cases but many more milder cases with quick recoveries

For you to say "Consider him written off for 2017. He won't be playing seniors this year. Be lucky to play VFL." is just hitting the panic button and not even waiting to hear what the real situation is, that breeds hysteria.

Nothing on here surprises me. There are extreme views to anything that happens and more often than not you give two people the same information and they'll interpret it differently. Give the same information to another two people and they'll view it differently again.

Therefore I prefer to look at it from the perspective of what's happened previously and where Brown ranks on the playing list. Brown is about 35 on the list and will be out of action for a "few" weeks then need 4-6 weeks minimum to build up again. Not really a big deal in the scheme of things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back