Recommitted Cam McCarthy requests trade home to WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say they should take offcuts, but they need to add some quality experience to their very good young and developing list. A club can't wait forever.

GWS has at least 6 years to focus on development allowing for front loading and development in there list.

Remember they have a lot of guys that will not be with them in years to come. Treloar and McCarthy will not be the last for sure.

GWS need to build something sustainable non reliant on Cola unlike the Swans.

There is experience and then there is experience. Apart from a few at GWS who has been great for GCS and GWS apart from individual performance.

Can't be wasting development on mature types.

Remember GWS is about developing a premiership force from the region like West Coast and Adelaide. It is not about being a paddle pop stick and throwing a few players together and take pot luck in the lucky dip!

GWS has at least 6 years to focus on development allowing for front loading and development in there list.

Remember they have a lot of guys that will not be with them in years to come. Treloar and McCarthy will not be the last for sure.

GWS need to build something sustainable non reliant on Cola unlike the Swans
The best way to sell your club to young guys is to offer them success. They can't keep dropping off kids on one end and then replace them with more kids from the other. Anyway neither you nor I are experts on GWS's list, its just our opinions.

Well, this thread is a gem! So many muppetts in one place lining up to sink the boot into the Giants. Bring it on I say. I like good laugh.

If you were prepared to be honest about things, you'd have to say we are doing a pretty good job with our list and culture build. However, that would mean giving up the juvenile feelings of hate and resentment.

I do hope Purple has indeed stuffed it again. Macarthy is a ripper on and on the field.

Juvenile indeed,

You want facts, here are some:

Your club was built hastily on the extraordinary generosity of the AFL who needed to shoehorn a team into the GWS area, They had to build a team that couldn't fail and who couldn't afford to take 20 years to build a culture.

So they bestowed pick after pick of fantastic early top end talent

Talent that was always going to be impossible to pay at face value, so it is not surprising to see a few wanting to go home to their own state.

Looking at my watch now .........

"The manager of Cameron McCarthy, Coling Young, has today formally enquired about a trade.

The GIANTS have categorically rejected this request."

Bold is mine.

Wish the all caps GIANTS would go away, on a sidenote.

The best way to sell your club to young guys is to offer them success. They can't keep dropping off kids on one end and then replace them with more kids from the other. Anyway neither you nor I are experts on GWS's list, its just our opinions.

It is but I know the likes of Steele, Barret, Cameron and others are more likely to stick around and build something real.

GWS are not clueless. They do not have the false corporate support of the Swans. They know they have to keep it real and build their squad in touch with grass roots footy in the region.

People are not stupid enough not to know GWS are a great bunch of individually talented players from junior footy. Putting that together into a meaningful AFL premiership team is another matter. Sure some Sydney newcomers will believe the BS, but most in the region know the realities GWS face and it will not happen overnight and are well aware the team is not bullet proof and experience is not the only solution. In fact the development of footy in the region and the inclusion of the locals is paramount to the identity and long term survival of the clubs very viability let alone drive/passion to succeed in the big event

Remember if GWS do not do it right, investors like Rupert Murdoch and others lose the worth of their investment which affects the whole footy industry as has happened in the past!

Last edited:
Wow.

Ballsy move by GWS.

Who was the last player to be told they won't be traded?

Off the top of my head, Mitch Brown and Caddy were both pretty recent. One re-signed, the other left the following year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Barrett was right.
Not just right here was telling everyone it wasn't "speculation" his source was credible and factual.

An apology from GWS management and the general public is in order.

Many people for one reason or another dont like him but he does his job better than anyone else.

Good win for him.

So Barrett was right.
Not just right here was telling everyone it wasn't "speculation" his source was credible and factual.

Many people for one reason or another dont like him but he does his job better than anyone else.

Good win for him.
Hi Damo

Juvenile indeed,

You want facts, here are some:

Your club was built hastily on the extraordinary generosity of the AFL who needed to shoehorn a team into the GWS area, They had to build a team that couldn't fail and who couldn't afford to take 20 years to build a culture.

So they bestowed pick after pick of fantastic early top end talent

Talent that was always going to be impossible to pay at face value, so it is not surprising to see a few wanting to go home to their own state.

Bravo!

"The manager of Cameron McCarthy, Coling Young, has today formally enquired about a trade.

The GIANTS have categorically rejected this request."

Bold is mine.

Wish the all caps GIANTS would go away, on a sidenote.

Heard that Before and the Player was still Traded.

Just saying that to Drive up his Price at the Trade Table

So Barrett was right.

Good win for him.

Yesterday: "Despite media speculation, the GIANTS can confirm McCarthy has not requested a trade..."
Today: "The manager of Cameron McCarthy, Colin Young, has today formally enquired about a trade."

Don't see where GWS went wrong? There's even "today" in today's statement to express the difference in their statements.

Most likely case is differences in requesting a trade - given all the smoke and mirrors Young might have raised it with GWS as a potential situation or hypothetical, and only officially today. Barrett ran too hard on it. If GWS is incorrect I'm sure Young will be only too happy to come forward with indication that he had previously requested a trade.

And ultimately, **** Barrett. He's trash.

I think he can delist himself under player association rules. Anyone know the clause?

So Barrett was right.

Good win for him.

No one at the giants owes Barrett an apology. The trade was requested today and rejected today. So Barrett went early on his information yesterday

As I said on the freo board, the trade will eventually get done. GWS don't want a player sulking around the club they are just ensuring they don't get bent over. I believe a reasonable trade will be agreed between both parties.

Its like any trade, they don't want to let him go but if someone offers more than you think they are worth you will probably do it.

The only reason Boyd ended up being let go was the offer was too good to refuse both in terms of what GWS got playing wise and the payment of Griffin's wage.

So the question is what do Freo have to cough up to get the Giants to the table?

I think he can delist himself under player association rules. Anyone know the clause?

Not unless there's a breach of contract I would think, eg Ryder using the supplement thing as leverage against Essendon.

If it were that easy to break contracts, more players would do it.

I'm sure the AFLPA will step in.

Stopping a player from earning an extra 800-900k for 2 seasons.

Contracts are worth very little these days.

In saying that Dockers would want to come up with a very good trade that reflects the salary on offer.

Cant pay 700k a season then offer pick 20 and Tendai Mzungu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back