Welcome Cam McCarthy - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember saying a while ago he wasn't worth the tunnel vision but that obsession with just getting blokes out of desperation/the image is still very very big for Fremantle. So many names we didn't get and all of a sudden the club is going insane trying to get him.

He was a third tall at GWS and was never amazing, just showed potential. But he was having Jeremy Cameron at his best, Patton sometimes, Lobb coming into his own. He had help. He came to Freo after a year off and was made to play full forward and had no help. I maintain we needed to get an experienced player just to help the bloke. Schulz was perfect for a season but of course everyone on bigfooty wrote it off. Now he's low on confidence, doesn't know where to play, and he's just never going to really amount to that much.

As for drugs. Eh who gives a s**t. Lots of great players do it and lots of guys who are absolute trash and try their guts out every single day are sober constantly and crack a crownie three times a year.

I did hear some rumours though as to why he wanted to come back. Which is interesting.

Also taking the piss and using the name 'dardy' so much is pretty *in offensive. Wonder how the Aboriginal boys take some white guy using it as a joke?

Ultimately I really wanna like the dude, he's one of those guys you just want to succeed. And those sad eyes. But he's doing a lot to make me dislike him.

The McCarthy deal was one of the best ever done by Fremantle. We got the young WA talent in Logue with a slight downgrade and picked up 3 impressive later round picks.

I cringe each time a stupid commentator goes ‘they gave up pick 3 for this guy’ like they did yesterday.
We did well late on but...

Griffin Logue + Cam McCarthy or...

Sam Petrovski-Seton?

I remember saying a while ago he wasn't worth the tunnel vision but that obsession with just getting blokes out of desperation/the image is still very very big for Fremantle. So many names we didn't get and all of a sudden the club is going insane trying to get him.

He was a third tall at GWS and was never amazing, just showed potential. But he was having Jeremy Cameron at his best, Patton sometimes, Lobb coming into his own. He had help. He came to Freo after a year off and was made to play full forward and had no help. I maintain we needed to get an experienced player just to help the bloke. Schulz was perfect for a season but of course everyone on bigfooty wrote it off. Now he's low on confidence, doesn't know where to play, and he's just never going to really amount to that much.

As for drugs. Eh who gives a s**t. Lots of great players do it and lots of guys who are absolute trash and try their guts out every single day are sober constantly and crack a crownie three times a year.

I did hear some rumours though as to why he wanted to come back. Which is interesting.

Also taking the piss and using the name 'dardy' so much is pretty ****in offensive. Wonder how the Aboriginal boys take some white guy using it as a joke?

Oh please enlighten me on this, I am clearly not sufficiently ‘woke’ to interpret the liberal hurt feelings arising out of this nickname.

Oh please enlighten me on this, I am clearly not sufficiently ‘woke’ to interpret the liberal hurt feelings arising out of this nickname.
It's a word Noongar's use that basically means cool or great, as is my interpretation. Saying 'dardy sing' was a big joke at 15/16 and as someone who is actually a peer of McCarthy I think I'd know the context and genesis of it. Some old bloke wouldn't. It was a piss takey term and when Aboriginals would walk past people would go 'ahhh dardy sings here!' It's using Noongar language to take the piss out of them.

As I said. I'm his age. I'd know.

And I know about McCarthy in general.

I know players are allowed to enjoy themselves in the offseason but I saw him out every weekend in Freo and over the new year he was with two other mates in Rotto and I walked past him about 8 the next morning. They were chewing their faces off and look like they hadn’t slept in three days.

There was a thread created about players who like a dart. McCarthy was mentioned many times back in the GWS days. Not something you forget when his name is then linked with Freo. I’m positive many on here would’ve heard similar.

Now I don’t think a smoke destroys his fitness at his age, but goes some way to further illustrating his lack of professionalism.

But the whole Dardy McCrafty nickname comes from Freo Dokers. Cam didn't make it up himself.
That page is about as funny as a second clacka.

If someone calls you something racist and you take it on, it's okay?

You'd defend Fremantle to the hill thought so whatever. Whatever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That page is about as funny as a second clacka.

If someone calls you something racist and you take it on, it's okay?

You'd defend Fremantle to the hill thought so whatever. Whatever.
No need to be condescending, I was merely pointing it out.

No need to be condescending, I was merely pointing it out.
wtf why mention it if it wasn't being used as some sort of detraction?

'Hitler was a campaigner'
'He built the Autobahns you know'
'...he killed millions of people...'
'No need to be condescending, I was merely pointing it out'

It's a word Noongar's use that basically means cool or great, as is my interpretation. Saying 'dardy sing' was a big joke at 15/16 and as someone who is actually a peer of McCarthy I think I'd know the context and genesis of it. Some old bloke wouldn't. It was a piss takey term and when Aboriginals would walk past people would go 'ahhh dardy sings here!' It's using Noongar language to take the piss out of them.

So the nickname / word has no other meaning in this context than that which you have attributed to it?

Geez mate, you been drinking again?

If he can do a Taberner then he should be able to turn this around by page 90. That’s roughly when Taberner started to convert the faithful in his thread.

For the record I was buying shares in Taberner from early on. Always been an admirer.

I find it difficult to like McCarthy. His haircuts for one. Even his kicking style annoys me. That mixed in with the fact he’ll earn more in this 3 year contract then I will in 10-15 years of teaching... makes it even harder to swallow.

Dardy is also a term used in skateboarding subculture. If it started by dokers I'm going to suggest that is a more likely origin ;)

You certainly are SA, and you certainly do

Such worldly wisdom

The word 'dardy' means cool

I don't use the word but I've heard it used by Aboriginal school children. I feel it's a young persons terminology however if a white person uses it it's hardly insulting to Aborigines.

People take on other people's sayings all the time. Just look at hip hop and the young white people and not do young people who are now a part of it.

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

The word 'dardy' means cool

I don't use the word but I've heard it used by Aboriginal school children. I feel it's a young persons terminology however if a white person uses it it's hardly insulting to Aborigines.

People take on other people's sayings all the time. Just look at hip hop and the young white people and not do young people who are now a part of it.

Aboriginal kids use the term ‘deadly’ a fair bit at the school I teach. No harm in it, kind of means cool.

When the white kids use it, also no harm, but just doesn’t sound right.

Plus the only white kids to use it think they’re cool by saying it, but very try hardish.

Sooo... is McCarthy a try hard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back