Traded Cameron McCarthy [traded to Fremantle with picks 7, 33 and 71 for pick 3]

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam McCarthy, contracted young gun key forward taken in the first round in his draft year is worth a pick in the 30's.

Ed Langdon, uncontracted small forward taken in the 50's, who has played 5 good games in two years, is worth pick 25 from Collingwood.

Freo logic :drunk:
Langdon didn't walk out on his contract. s**t comparison to be truthful.

Love the continual spin about both WA clubs, still yet to see the reality that Cam wants to wear purple but I suppose he wants to keep justifying trying to drive the price up...been drinking from the cup of Kevin Sheedy for far too long.
Wait i thought this was homesickness. Both clubs play out of the same place.

Surely he would love to be back in WA no matter the club unless there is more to this than an illness......

Wait i thought this was homesickness. Both clubs play out of the same place.

Surely he would love to be back in WA no matter the club unless there is more to this than an illness......
He would also want to play in a club where there is a need for forwards, i.e. play for Freo where we have none or join WC and get in line behind Kennedy, Darling, leCras, Hill, etc.

He would also want to play in a club where there is a need for forwards, i.e. play for Freo where we have none or join WC and get in line behind Kennedy, Darling, leCras, Hill, etc.
It's not about opportunity, it's all about mental health as far as we have been told

By your logic Nat Fyfe was taken with pick #20 so that's what he is worth now :drunk:
Nat Fyfe is a proven gun player and Brownlow winner. Draft position is irrelevant at this point for him. Langdon is coming off his first contract and has played 5 good games in his entire career. His draft position is completely relevant, as is McCarthy's.

Are you being deliberately dumb?

Langdon didn't walk out on his contract. s**t comparison to be truthful.
I don't see how that's relevant? If anything, being contracted should make McCarthy's worth higher if Freo genuinely want him.

He isn't worth a first rounder because nobody will give one up for him.
Really? Because if he turned around and said he wanted to come to Collingwood I'd give up a first rounder without hesitation. Pretty sure 17 other clubs would too.

Really? Because if he turned around and said he wanted to come to Collingwood I'd give up a first rounder without hesitation. Pretty sure 17 other clubs would too.
Yeah but he's not going to turn around and say he wants to go to Collingwood so he's only worth what Freo are prepared to pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cam McCarthy, contracted young gun key forward taken in the first round in his draft year is worth a pick in the 30's.

Ed Langdon, uncontracted small forward taken in the 50's, who has played 5 good games in two years, is worth pick 25 from Collingwood.

Freo logic :drunk:

By your logic, Collingwood think Witts is worth pick 10, because if one person from a group says it, it represents the whole groups opinion :drunk:

In the Langdon thread most people have said he'd get a late second or third round pick.
Last year most Freo fans were happy to trade 2 late first round picks for McCarthy, but since then a rare situation has occurred where he has sat out the year for mental health reasons. Because this is so rare it's hard to judge how that has affected his value. The only comparable situation that comes close would be when Mitch Clarke left Melbourne.

Yeah but he's not going to turn around and say he wants to go to Collingwood so he's only worth what Freo are prepared to pay.
I'm not sure that's the right attitude for Freo to take given GWS are still perfectly entitled to retain Cam on their list.

Just imagine...

GWS: Sorry Cam, we tried to reach an agreement with Freo again, but they only offered peanuts for you in a trade. Obviously we feel you're a really valuable player and would love to have you playing for us. Freo clearly doesn't feel the same way. We know you really want to get home though, and West Coast has offered what we feel is a fair deal. Would you like to play there instead and be close to your family?

CM: hmmmmm.....

By your logic, Collingwood think Witts is worth pick 10, because if one person from a group says it, it represents the whole groups opinion :drunk:

In the Langdon thread most people have said he'd get a late second or third round pick.
Fair enough, I'll give you that one.
Last year most Freo fans were happy to trade 2 late first round picks for McCarthy, but since then a rare situation has occurred where he has sat out the year for mental health reasons. Because this is so rare it's hard to judge how that has affected his value. The only comparable situation that comes close would be when Mitch Clarke left Melbourne.
Yep, and Melbourne ended up aquiring a former AA rebounding defender who was top 5 in his clubs best and fairest that year. And that was after mental health issues and years of being sidelined with injury, and the fact he was in the back end of his career while Cam is still a baby.

I'm not sure that's the right attitude for Freo to take given GWS are still perfectly entitled to retain Cam on their list.

Just imagine...

GWS: Sorry Cam, we tried to reach an agreement with Freo again, but they only offered peanuts for you in a trade. Obviously we feel you're a really valuable player and would love to have you playing for us. Freo clearly doesn't feel the same way. We know you really want to get home though, and West Coast has offered what we feel is a fair deal. Would you like to play there instead and be close to your family?

West Coast aren't gonna offer a first up either. If McCarthy were in this years draft, he wouldn't go early at all. Not because he isn't talented, because he's shown a pretty shitty attitude and an interstate club wouldn't waste a pick on a guy who will leave.

Just imagine...

We won't be offering peanuts, it just won't be a first rounder. And I'd imagine after last year's failed trade period that West Coast will be taking their first rounder to the draft.

West Coast aren't gonna offer a first up either. If McCarthy were in this years draft, he wouldn't go early at all. Not because he isn't talented, because he's shown a pretty shitty attitude and an interstate club wouldn't waste a pick on a guy who will leave.

If you want a player on your list, a player who is known to be fragile, why would you be signaling to that player that you don't think he is worth very much?

Aren't they? A pick in the teens for a local kid who is projecting to be a genuine quality AFL key forward for the next 10 years, and already a proven talent at senior level seems like a no brainer to me, even if they do have depth in the position.

Aren't they? A pick in the teens for a local kid who is projecting to be a genuine quality AFL key forward for the next 10 years, and already a proven talent at senior level seems like a no brainer to me, even if they do have depth in the position.
They gave up a first last year remember, need to use 2 in a 4 year period. And the last thing they need is another KPF, they need quality in the midfield.

What you would do is totally irrelevant though because he hasn't expressed a desire to play for Collingwood, or any other club in Victoria.

We haven't got a first round pick that would satisfy GWS, so they accept what we can get together or keep Cam on the books for another 12 mths

Still a fair way to go because we will be moving on some players, and may yet end up with an early second rounder which should be enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Back