Can't wait for scotty's obligatory post-match thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm usually first in line to bash a maggot but we were pretty clumsy at times. That would account for 5 of the frees. 22 - 13.

The free against Rawlings in the last 1/4 was criminal.

It took all of Boomer's persuasion to get a diving on the ball free awarded to him in the last 1/4. The maggot was desperate not to pay it but the Eagle just died on the footy.

And as usual we can't buy a free for a good tackle in our forward line.

I'm usually first in line to bsha maggot but we were pretty clumsy at times. That would account for 5 of the frees. 22 - 13.

Agree, especially in the first quarter... however...

The free against Rawlings in the last 1/4 was criminal.

It took all of Boomer's persuasion to get a diving on the ball free awarded to him in the last 1/4. The maggot was desperate not to pay it but the Eagle just died on the footy.

And as usual we can't buy a free for a good tackle in our forward line.

... later on they were given an armchair ride while at the other end players like Edwards, Hansen and several others appeared to be unable to win a free kick despite constantly being held without the ball. Not the umpires best day.

Our forwards (particulary Warren) were being held all day and the umpires didn't call it once

But the Sam Wright 50 in the last was pure gold, even Fox didn't bother showing it, from what I saw it was pretty minor, but thems the breaks. I will say that anectodal evidence suggests we get paid more frees against us for dragging the ball in than any other club.
Another thing is when Rawlings got pinged in the last, and Brad Scott looked like he was having an epiphany, the other blokes in the coaches box were thinking/saying 'welcome to North Brad'.

Our forwards (particulary Warren) were being held all day and the umpires didn't call it once

Yeah it seemed like the umps looked up and said, 'oh Hale's playing, there goes the holding in the North 50 rule today.'

Not sure what the stats are, but Greenwood would be close to the most harshly judged player in the comp on the frees front.

He was lucky to get away with a high tackle on NicNat in the last quarter. Ferocious player at the ball, just needs to clean it up a little when tackling. He tends to hit em high or go into the back at times.

Not sure what the stats are, but Greenwood would be close to the most harshly judged player in the comp on the frees front.

He was one were several times before even picking up the ball they were hanging on to his other arm. I get frustrated when footballers aren't rewarded but swans like Reiwoldt are given every opportunity.

Greenwood 2010 stats. Dunno if this includes todays
Frees for: 8
Frees Against: 34

I get frustrated when footballers aren't rewarded but swans like Reiwoldt are given every opportunity.

Yep, it would be nice if all decisions were adjudged on a case by case basis.

Unfortunately some seem to be more equal than others.

If it's a 50/50, you can bet Levi is on the s**t end of the stick.

Incredibly frustrating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That free goal to Nicnat was simply wrong, Swallow's bump was completely legal.

I thought that too. Within 5 metres of the ball and he was not the contesting ruckman. It was actually an incredibly frustrating game to watch. We were very poor, the umpires were worse and West Coast were worse again. I hope they spend 10 years winning spoons.

He was one were several times before even picking up the ball they were hanging on to his other arm. I get frustrated when footballers aren't rewarded but swans like Reiwoldt are given every opportunity.

Yes, I'm working on a team of umpire favourites. So far I've got Riewoldt (the Crybaby, not his cousin), Ablett, Judd, Bartel, Goodes and Selwood.

For defenders I'm including blokes with limited ability but the ability to scrag their opponents and nullify them for an entire game without giving away a free. So far, Presti and Jo Blake have made the team.

Greenwood 2010 stats. Dunno if this includes todays
Frees for: 8
Frees Against: 34

Giesch's geese always protect the player going in for the ball. There's a lesson there for somebody.

[lesson: giesch = ****wit]

Two absolutely blatant cases of dropping the ball not paid. One when Wellsy tackled Rosa in forward 50 (spun him around, pinned an arm, dropped ball, play on), then a few minutes later in the middle. I forget which player but he actually deliberately dropped it.

We were pretty clumsy today but as usual, it not the ones they pay but what they don't that's hard to take.

I was speechless by the end of the game at the complete ignorance of Schofield's holding & manhandling of Hansen in EVERY SINGLE MARKING CONTEST.

Picture Saint Nick getting the same treatment....:mad:

Levi gets a rough run on 2 levels:

He's hard as f#*@ but is consistently a little clumsy & tends to slip around the neck. I love his vicous intent though, he'll clean that up. Problem is when he does a selwood/chapman/ablett by ducking his head to gain a free & has his head ripped off, it's: play on buddy, bad luck because you ducked???

The other rough end he cops is when he wins the ball for being harder & more ferocious than his opponent, then gets sat on & pinged. That rule really gets my goat - a lot of the time it's given against the spirit of our game, which should encourage & reward players to be the hardest & first to the pill. I think he'll learn to crach in & bounce up onto his feet to minimise the chance of getting pinged.

Probably the worst was the free Cox got for taking a Softwoldt dive in a ruck contest.

But pretty consistently, our forwards were held in the marking contest (Hansen especially) ; our tackles went unrewarded ; and if the ball was at the bottom of the pack, the only 2 options were 'ballup' or 'Eagles free'.

If the club is ever going to lodge a complaint, do it this week. At least when you've won, they can't say it's sour grapes.

We were pretty clumsy today but as usual, it not the ones they pay but what they don't that's hard to take.

I was speechless by the end of the game at the complete ignorance of Schofield's holding & manhandling of Hansen in EVERY SINGLE MARKING CONTEST.

He's hard as f#*@ but is consistently a little clumsy & tends to slip around the neck. I love his vicous intent though, he'll clean that up. Problem is when he does a selwood/chapman/ablett by ducking his head to gain a free & has his head ripped off, it's: play on buddy, bad luck because you ducked???

The other rough end he cops is when he wins the ball for being harder & more ferocious than his opponent, then gets sat on & pinged. That rule really gets my goat - a lot of the time it's given against the spirit of our game, which should encourage & reward players to be the hardest & first to the pill. I think he'll learn to crach in & bounce up onto his feet to minimise the chance of getting pinged.

Good post CBS......agree on all levels.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Levi should watch tapes of Sewell and Hodge. They pretend they're trying to handball. Rarely get pinged.

The one against Rawlings was paid because his hands were free and he did not get rid of it. Im not saying it was a free but l could see he was going to pay it.

Im happy for that to generally be paid but a little opportunity would have been nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back