Preview Changes and pre-match discussion for Round 4 vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the * Lycett isn’t dropped after playing the worst game of football I have ever seen has me completely baffled.
m8 he's already played two worse games than that this year alone

I’m sorry but how the FLICK does mcentee come in before evans? In what universe has he shown more than evans this year? In ANY capacity?!
Here is our dilemma- Evans has shown Jack Sh:t up to now and I think McEntee deserves a chance ahead of him - at least for a change we are going with structure.

I want Pasini in the team too but the bloke did his ACL less than 12 months ago and has played what, maybe 2 or 3 games since? Happy for him to find a little bit of touch and confidence first with the Magpies instead of just throwing him to the wolves. He'll get his chance sooner rather than later the way we're going.

I mean .. meh.

Our issue is full field defence. Back six is terrible and the forwards and mids have let the oppo waltz through to isolate our terrible defensive match ups.

McEntee and Mead are there for ‘full field’ defence. I feel for Jed. He isn’t up to it, gets selected for roles he isn’t up to, gets slammed by this board and the fans - what are we expecting him to do? Not play when selected?

McKenzie is a better defender than Clurey. On one leg..who knows? What this suggests about the clubs thoughts on Clurey and Pasini have me worried.

Williams is the best performed SANFL player or close to it.

So we drop Jones - fair enough. Drop Bonner - meh. Drop Clurey for McKenzie- meh. Drop DBJ for poor performance but make him the sub….. WTF. What message does that send? What a joke.

Let’s face it. Mitch, Pasini, Evans, Hayes/Teaks/Dante, Mead - should have come in.

Hopefully they stop chopping and changing and giving guys like Sinn, Jones, etc a chance to build form and confidence.

It’s odd when you have selections and just think, ‘there is no way we can win with these players’

Based on last week's SANFL form and his form in the AFL Mitch Georgiades is exactly where he should be- in the SANFL. I would leave Georgiades where he is until he can kick more than 1.1 in the SANFL.

Mitch Georgiades is no orphan and on the face of last week's performance probably only Josh Sinn, who had a very good first half, deserved elevation. But that is our problem atm, there is no one at the Port Magpies who is in good form. We are dropping out of form players from the AFL and replacing them with out of form players from the SANFL, which I think illustrates your point about not winning with these players.

Based on last week's SANFL form and his form in the AFL Mitch Georgiades is exactly where he should be- in the SANFL. I would leave Georgiades where he is until he can kick more than 1.1 in the SANFL.

Mitch Georgiades is no orphan and on the face of last week's performance probably only Josh Sinn, who had a very good first half, deserved elevation. But that is our problem atm, there is no one at the Port Magpies who is in good form. We are dropping out of form players from the AFL and replacing them with out of form players from the SANFL, which I think illustrates your point about not winning with these players.
So how does this happen so early in the season?

Clearly, the pre-season was not as fantastic as has been poured down our throats by Ken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get this at all. McKenzie has clearly been preferred the last this year and last but keeps getting injured. If McKenzie didn't get injured there'd be no swapping between them.

McKenzie has been dropped on form and replaced by clurey plenty of times during hinkleys reign

The defense has been a problem for years and the only answer Hinkley has ever had is to drop which ever one of mckenzie / clurey is currently in the side and bring the other in, then repeat when that doesn’t work.

It’s a clear indication he has no idea what’s wrong or how to fix it.

McKenzie has been dropped on form and replaced by clurey plenty of times during hinkleys reign

The defense has been a problem for years and the only answer Hinkley has ever had is to drop which ever one of mckenzie / clurey is currently in the side and bring the other in, then repeat when that doesn’t work.

It’s a clear indication he has no idea what’s wrong or how to fix it.
Right but that's not at all what just happened is it.

This is clearly injured best 22 player returns to team.

Right but that's not at all what just happened is it.

This is clearly injured best 22 player returns to team.

But it’s the same old, has no answers just swapping clurey for McKenzie move that will solve nothing

Also, is McKenzie best 22? I mean you
Clearly think so but does our team?

Which one is first 22? How could you tell? We just keep swapping. Sure, McKenzie was considered best 22 a game ago, but we’ve swapped both of them around a million times since bringing Trent here.

Yea spot on. No competition for spots.

Was my point in the list management thread we have 10+ players who are fringe AFL role players. That’s ok if the side is firing and those players are firing, and if only one or two of those players come in when there are form or injury issues for your core 22-25. Problem is they are in the starting 22.

I agree with your point that no one is banging to door down and maybe they need time in the SANFL for form or confidence. Guess I’m at the point where I wonder if it’s better to give AFL games to McEntee or Georgiades. Or Pasini over an injured and almost delisted McKenzie or under performing Clurey. Etc etc

But it’s the same old, has no answers just swapping clurey for McKenzie move that will solve nothing

Also, is McKenzie best 22? I mean you
Clearly think so but does our team?

Which one is first 22? How could you tell? We just keep swapping. Sure, McKenzie was considered best 22 a game ago, but we’ve swapped both of them around a million times since bringing Trent here.

I am not sure there are many options atm. Almost overnight the depth is not there thus limiting our options. McKenzie is about the only viable option for Clurey unless you want to try an unknown quantity like Brynn Teakle. Teakle is a work in progress as a defender and Jake Pasini is on the way back from injury thus McKenzie is probably the safest option.

Over the past two seasons we have delisted the likes of Mayes, Garner, Woodcock, Patmore, Schofield, Frederick, Leinert etc. and have drafted young talent in their place. None of those mentioned were world beaters but they gave the Port Magpies some grunt. As a result of those list changes the Port Magpies side is now full of young players who are too inexperience or old players who are past it. What is perplexing is that we get rid of a player like Sam Mayes who was fulfilling a need yet hang onto Jed McEntee who brings nothing to the table.

Last edited:
Dougal Howard, Peter Ladhams and even Billy Frampton would all be absolute walk up starts to our team right now. And we got three fifths of * all in return for the three of them. Why do people always praise our list management team?

Dougal Howard, Peter Ladhams and even Billy Frampton would all be absolute walk up starts to our team right now. And we got three fifths of * all in return for the three of them. Why do people always praise our list management team?

Probably confusing them with our drafting team, who have done a reasonably good job even if we would have preferred more key defenders drafted

Probably confusing them with our drafting team, who have done a reasonably good job even if we would have preferred more key defenders drafted
Have they?

Rozee is a hit, but even any armchair Bigfooty recruiter knew you were picking between Rozee, Ben King and Bailey Smith at that pick so it would have been impossible to screw up. Butters, Duursma and Georgiades started off strongly but have stagnated. Bergman is going okay but I wouldn't say he's exceeding expectations. Dylan Williams looks a bust. Sinn is a mulligan at this stage. Lachie Jones should be playing country footy.

Frampton would never have been turned into a defender here
He would be Mitch Harvey2.0 if he stayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back