Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 10 vs. Port Adelaide, MCG Sun 23/05 @ 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You deny Adan’s has a history of coming back early? Put all faith in the medical dept?

Couldn’t be a case of rushing a player back so as to prevent the club having a bigger loss?

Every regime needs it’s yes men
Have faith in Tay.

You deny Adan’s has a history of coming back early? Put all faith in the medical dept?

Couldn’t be a case of rushing a player back so as to prevent the club having a bigger loss?

Every regime needs it’s yes men

I hope they have made the right decision about Adams being fit. That’s not too much of a stretch for you?

Trying to prevent losses or winning a game is not a bad thing . Exposing too many kids to beltings might be.

I’ve already agreed three times over that I’d be happy to see Bianco selected this week but understand why he wasn’t. There arguably might have been room for one more kid in the 22 but it’s immaterial in the grand scheme of things. Over the course of the season so far they are developing younger players as quickly as is feasibility possible

Last edited:
Re your last point about saving face, I think it’s more about saving the kids from getting regularly flogged. That’s a horrible way to start a career.

Also - how far have we fallen when we’re expecting to lose, but having a discussion about degrees of loss.:eek:

I’m going to the game tomorrow, and am feeling about as excited as I would if I was going to the dentist. Which is to say I’m dreading it. But my view is that when the club is in trouble, supporters should show support for the players and the team. By showing up.

At any rate, we’ll have another win soon, so why not this round? Adams will give us a lift.

:hearteyes:

I'm going with my son tomorrow. I'll celebrate a competitive showing with a bag of donuts. Will mourn a flogging with 2 bags of donuts.

Have faith in Tay.

I :greenheart: Tay, he bleeds for the club and is the sort of player that we know would happily play through pain.

I wouldn't blame him or the club if his return is deemed "early"... (but seriously what does that even mean?).

Return to professional sport from soft tissue injury carries some risk, realistically it can never be fully eliminated.

Buckley's presser today was depressing. He seemed up and about and it seems to me he knows something we don't.
His comment 'for some reason we lose our dare after quarter time' was demoralizing. For some reason says the man who has been in charge for ten years. 🙄
Apparently all teams go through a state of flux. The Hawks are in a state of flux and cuddling their five flags from recent years for comfort.
Geelong played off in a GF and prelim and went out and recruited 3 excellent players and are even stronger.
Richmond have won 3 and on target for 4 with no sign of flux on the horizon.
But we had one good year. Be content pie fans. We are regenerating. Cal Brown selected again.

See everything is fine!

Why is everyone frowning?

The mantra of we need to play kids and get them up to 50 games asap to aid development doesnt make sense to me. Simply giving games to kids when there are better options around the club doesnt help. At the moment we are a poor team and its not to hard to get a spot in the 22 compared to most other lists. Play the kids that are good enough to displace the more senior players but if they are not they need to play VFL, develop their game and earn the spot. Thats much better development for mine.

While there is no way to measure these things and everyone has their own opinion my view would be Ollie Henry's development hasnt been helped by playing AFL games where he looked totally out of his depth. I would think the club will be thinking he needs a good block of VFL time now whereas Poulter will gain a lot from the 3 games he has had. Poulter may easily drop off and go back to the VFL at some point but the experience of handling the AFL speed of game will be invaluable to him. Henry on the other hand may have been a little damaged by his experience.

It's horses for courses. If they are not ready dont play them. Its like any sport experience and practice don't help if they are not good quality. Having a load of kids belted each week while they underperform will only teach them bad habits and crush confidence.
I see your point GC but we have a very young list. Totally agree form needs to be rewarded but unless the lesser lights in the recruits get enough AFL exposure they won't develop.
I'm in for a rotation system 2 or 3 games for those adjudged up to AFL physical pressure then a rest to look at someone else.

We have a big hole in our age bracketing so experience gained is gold for the club and players. It won't be easy to watch but lessening the damage is not tenable if it is denying young players with genuine claims to AFL time.

Would say the club is concerned over concussion especially seeing Greenwood battling to recover.
Murphy already had several.

Not sure why Bianca not in, looks to have poise, skill and make good decisions, clearly areas we are deficient.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bianco has only recently resumed following preseason injury. Hasn’t yet played a lot of footy. Happy to see him wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast and Freo have ten genuine home games and ten genuine away games . Net result nil

With Geelong every game they play at the Cattery is an advantage. They are only at a disadvantage when they travel interstate. The games they play in Melbourne are on neutral territory. Net result is significantly in their favour.

It is what it is so no complaints but these things need to be taken into consideration when comparing success stories and when poaching their recruiting staff .

Their win loss in finals v home and away is unequivocal evidence that they benefit from the home and away fixture.
I think the Geelong teams of the past 15 years have been very good football sides. They get a definite leg up playing down at the Cattery but if you are suggesting they would not be playing finals if not for that advantage I think you are talking nonsense. It's very comforting for us to cling to as we wallow in grinding mediocrity.

I think the Geelong teams of the past 15 years have been very good football sides. They get a definite leg up playing down at the Cattery but if you are suggesting they would not be playing finals if not for that advantage I think you are talking nonsense. It's very comforting for us to cling to as we wallow in grinding mediocrity.
Last 15 years, we’ve played in ten finals series, including three grand finals.

If the Madge gets 8 possessions in the VFL.. I will not be renewing my membership for the next 10 yrs.. I'm sorry.. but what's fair is fair.

I have plain and simply.. had it!

I'm done man.

Probably not such a bad thing from a club perspective, you're sending them broke providing you with replacement membership cards.

So we're talking a 15 year timeframe now?

I have no argument the 2007-2011 Geelong side was one of the great modern teams. Not really relevant to the recent Scott years though.

Since then they have made one grand final (same as Collingwood) and generally been disappointing in finals. They have generally topped up with players wanting to play for them because they originally grew up in that part of the world. Not sure how much the recruiters have to say in that matter. Almost half their list are from Geelong or Western Victoria with as far as I can tell all of their traded players also in that category apart from an Irishman.

I'm just calling out caution about how much credit is due to be paid to the second in charge behind Wells, who clearly is regarded as top notch.

Adelaide and Bronco's showed what you can do if you play with passion and a bit of belief. Two huge upsets this evening. Hopefully our boys can do similar tomorrow!!!

Love Too but can't see it

I see your point GC but we have a very young list. Totally agree form needs to be rewarded but unless the lesser lights in the recruits get enough AFL exposure they won't develop.
I'm in for a rotation system 2 or 3 games for those adjudged up to AFL physical pressure then a rest to look at someone else.

We have a big hole in our age bracketing so experience gained is gold for the club and players. It won't be easy to watch but lessening the damage is not tenable if it is denying young players with genuine claims to AFL time.
Thats the point. Would never deny the young player with genuine claims but giving a game to someone who is young even though the coaching staff think there are better options among more senior players is a no go for me. The youngsters that are good enough will push out senior players given time. Promoting them before that happens I dont think will fast track their development

Don't they get a shiteload of money from the state government the other clubs don't get?

it was like 60 million and the other clubs get 12 to 15 million

Don't they get a shiteload of money from the state government the other clubs don't get?

You mean for the Kardinia Park redevelopment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back