Preview Changes: R6 2021 v Hawthorn in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes... but you don't bring in kids who are struggling at SANFL level, and are miles off playing AFL, just for the sake of giving them experience. That does them more harm than good.
Depends on the player.

I remember Charlie Cameron being fairly average at SANFL, but going to the next level actually elevated his game.

Given our overall team performances at the SANFL level, our players are more likely to struggle than excel at this level.

Not if the player in question is still capable of playing, it doesn't.

I agree that, in an ideal world, Lynch would not be playing this week. Of the players we currently have in the SANFL, I think Pedlar would be a good replacement (possibly with a bit of shuffling involved). Pedlar is still 1-2 weeks away from being fit enough to play. I do not see any other viable options for replacing Lynch this week.

That depends entirely on what your definition of 'playing' is. Is it that they are able to take the field or actually perform their role? Because neither Lynch or McAdam performed their roles, they were even bottom of the AFL rankings for the game.

Exactly - so you replace Lynch {as a number in the 22 not his position} with ...
Worrell/Casey/Murray and play them down back and shuffle the magnets even give Macpherson a taste upfield
Himmelberg and play Murphy up the ground
McKay straight swap just to see an implosion on the board

so even looking at the list of those without bandages there are 7 that could come in {8 if were to bring Jones out of isolation} all requiring movement of positions but replacing an injured player with a younger uninjured player.
Thank you for taking the trouble to provide options. I wish our troll moderator would put the effort in that you have.

Option 1 - Worrell/Murray/McAsey
The problem here is that the team is already unbalanced, having previously replaced Sloane with Fogarty. It doesn't matter how much you shuffle the magnets, replacing a running player (Lynch) with a slow tall is just going to exacerbate the existing problem. I like the idea of playing Worrell or Murray, but not as a replacement (even indirectly) for Lynch.

Option 2 - Himmelberg
The problem with this is that it leaves our forward line massively top heavy, with Frampton/Walker/Berg/Fogarty (when he's not sucking the life out our midfield). I'm all for selecting Himmelberg this week, but as a straight swap for Frampton - not as an indirect replacement for Lynch.

Option 3 - Mackay
In reality, this is far & away our best option. OK, maybe not best - least worst. We swap one experienced running player for another. We don't screw up the midfield or forward line structures any worse than they already are. The melts, on the other hand, would be epic.

Yes, there are 5 or 6 players who could come in - but Mackay is the only one we can bring in who is ready to go, in reasonable form, and wouldn't completely screw up our team structure.

reports that Sam Berry has badly rolled an ankle at training today and is in serious doubt for Sunday. He needs a weeks rest anyways so Hately in I’d hope.

Kim Dillon just put David Mackay ahead of the pack because you know exactly what he's going to bring. Lose an inside type player and replace with an outside running spud. He did mention Berg for Frampton and maybe Newchurch could come in. Hately he mentioned as a total afterthought as the very last words mentioned before moving topic. In what world does Berry go out injured and you even consider Mackay as the replacement when Hately was close to selection last week? I hope he hasn't been tapped on the shoulder to ease us into it.

No electricity in Tassie. Have to get the game finished in time for the patrons to get back home and in to bed before dark. And it gets dark early this time of year.
Yes it gets dark early down here this time of year ... but we have no issue with electricity, pure hydro for us my friend.

I for one am happy about the early game as the drive back to Hobart will be not too late, less wallabies to deal with :)

PS - got my tickets, glad I didn't hesitate when they opened up - only 159 tickets left!

hawks.png

With Berry now a likely out my changes are as follows

Berry - Hately
Lynch - Pedlar
Frampton - Himmelberg

This will be a huge change to our forward line structure with Lynch out, but I think it is the best we can do with the limited players available or match fit. Pedlar is probably still a week away from being ready but he isn't going to gain much getting flogged in the SANFL this week so may as well bring him in now. Then give Lynch a month off to let his toe recover and give Pedlar a solid block of games to show what he can do.

Thank you for taking the trouble to provide options. I wish our troll moderator would put the effort in that you have.

Option 1 - Worrell/Murray/McAsey
The problem here is that the team is already unbalanced, having previously replaced Sloane with Fogarty. It doesn't matter how much you shuffle the magnets, replacing a running player (Lynch) with a slow tall is just going to exacerbate the existing problem. I like the idea of playing Worrell or Murray, but not as a replacement (even indirectly) for Lynch.

Option 2 - Himmelberg
The problem with this is that it leaves our forward line massively top heavy, with Frampton/Walker/Berg/Fogarty (when he's not sucking the life out our midfield). I'm all for selecting Himmelberg this week, but as a straight swap for Frampton - not as an indirect replacement for Lynch.

Option 3 - Mackay
In reality, this is far & away our best option. OK, maybe not best - least worst. We swap one experienced running player for another. We don't screw up the midfield or forward line structures any worse than they already are. The melts, on the other hand, would be epic.

Yes, there are 5 or 6 players who could come in - but Mackay is the only one we can bring in who is ready to go, in reasonable form, and wouldn't completely screw up our team structure.
Dead horse, meet Vader. See if you can get through a day without referring to the ridiculous idea that Fog replaced Sloane directly?

Also, can you please (pretty please) consider what you are saying in relation to the structure we are mucking up? What structure? The one we haven't even got close to sorting out? The one that wouldn't hold up to a slight breeze let alone a decent storm? We aren't taking away from anything by change to the existing structure.

Finally - I think this is where I think your posts are getting confusing for a lot of us - do you think that we should be focussing on winning this week as our #1 concern? If not, what is our priority as a team?

Looking at Frampton play .....he clearly lacks FWD instincts

Could he be converted to a KPD ? ......good speed, height, and IMO prefers the ball in front of him to run at the ball
Yeah he is in the side to Ruck. He ain't no forward.

Last week we even had him Ruck down back while RoB was in defence plugging a hole.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeah he is in the side to Ruck. He ain't no forward.

Last week we even had him Ruck down back while RoB was in defence plugging a hole.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
But Frampton isn't a great Ruckman either .....Himmelberg has more variety with his Rucking technique

Dead horse, meet Vader. See if you can get through a day without referring to the ridiculous idea that Fog replaced Sloane directly?
Our changes vs North Melbourne were:
IN: Fogarty
OUT: Sloane

How is it ridiculous to suggest that Fogarty replaced Sloane, given that it was a direct 1-for-1 IN/OUT that week?
Also, can you please (pretty please) consider what you are saying in relation to the structure we are mucking up? What structure? The one we haven't even got close to sorting out? The one that wouldn't hold up to a slight breeze let alone a decent storm? We aren't taking away from anything by change to the existing structure.
We had a good structure the first few weeks. Walker & Frampton in the forward line, surrounded by a mosquito fleet. A good number of midfielders rotating through the guts.

... Then we replaced Sloane (inj) with Fogarty, which screwed things up completely. When he played in the forward line, it became top heavy and our defensive pressure collapsed. When he played in the midfield, we were 1 midfielder short. That's what I mean by a screwed up structure.

We probably do have scope for changing our structure in defence. Butts is our only tall defender right now, with Kelly & Doedee as medium defenders. Adding a 2nd tall defender would not make our defence top heavy, the way adding a 3rd tall does to our forward line.
Finally - I think this is where I think your posts are getting confusing for a lot of us - do you think that we should be focussing on winning this week as our #1 concern? If not, what is our priority as a team?
We should have two objectives this week, equally important - winning, and developing our youngsters. The two are not mutually exclusive, indeed our youngsters gain a lot more through winning than they do by losing.

You sound like a very good Director I had. He said along the lines of “Don’t come to me with the problems unless you have some options to resolve for my consideration “

Thought provoking for my development but He was never abrasive though 🤣

“Come to me with solutions, not problems.”

It’s what I picture Sanders saying to his underlings

Seriously... it's like trying to pin jelly to the wall.

If you're calling for a player to be omitted, then you must have a replacement in mind. There's not a lot of point in going into the game with 21 players on the field, though we're effectively doing that by selecting Frampton.

Your posting is always destructive criticism, never constructive. You always take cheap shots at the club, while never offering any solutions. I've given you multiple opportunities to be constructive here, but you still refuse to provide your preferred solution.

Berry has injured his ankle, so Hately will probably come in as a forced change. Which of the other available players would you bring into the side, to replace Lynch, without further destabilising the team?
I think just play Fog in Lynch's role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our changes vs North Melbourne were:
IN: Fogarty
OUT: Sloane

How is it ridiculous to suggest that Fogarty replaced Sloane, given that it was a direct 1-for-1 IN/OUT that week?
It is ridiculous. I'm sorry you can't work it out.

We had a good structure the first few weeks. Walker & Frampton in the forward line, surrounded by a mosquito fleet. A good number of midfielders rotating through the guts.

... Then we replaced Sloane (inj) with Fogarty, which screwed things up completely. When he played in the forward line, it became top heavy and our defensive pressure collapsed. When he played in the midfield, we were 1 midfielder short. That's what I mean by a screwed up structure.

We probably do have scope for changing our structure in defence. Butts is our only tall defender right now, with Kelly & Doedee as medium defenders. Adding a 2nd tall defender would not make our defence top heavy, the way adding a 3rd tall does to our forward line.
So what you meant by "screwing up our structure" was that Fogarty should never play as a midfielder? I should have seen that coming.

We should have two objectives this week, equally important - winning, and developing our youngsters. The two are not mutually exclusive, indeed our youngsters gain a lot more through winning than they do by losing.
Wrong. Not equally important at all. Gaining more by winning is a very strange idea Vader, very strange. Would you like to revisit this and maybe try again?

With Berry now a likely out my changes are as follows

Berry - Hately
Lynch - Pedlar
Frampton - Himmelberg

This will be a huge change to our forward line structure with Lynch out, but I think it is the best we can do with the limited players available or match fit. Pedlar is probably still a week away from being ready but he isn't going to gain much getting flogged in the SANFL this week so may as well bring him in now. Then give Lynch a month off to let his toe recover and give Pedlar a solid block of games to show what he can do.
I like your selections.
I nominate you as selector this week.
Those opposing this nomination can GAGF😉

I reckon we'd win more than we lose though, having three extra players than our opponents on the field.
Well, vs Hawthorn it would just even up the numbers...

Nope, Frampton is clearly the superior Ruckman.
Well after that call your O'Loughlin call is null and void. I've watched Billy ruck for a long time and as a ruckman he makes a great forward.

I would say that Billy has more experience as a ruck over Himmler which would be the reason he's getting a run more as a 2nd Ruck than as a key forward and Walker's resurrection has probably hurt Himmler's prospects of getting a game.

Last edited:
I think the Elliott vs. Billy talk will quickly become a thing of the past once Thilthorpe is ready to go, and we no longer have to pick either of them. Here's hoping, anyway.
yep.. both are equally s**t.

bring on Thilthorpe ASAP. either frampton or himm can relieve him when he tires, whichever one is playing better in the SANFL at the time..

Well after that call your O'Loughlin call is null and void. I've watched Billy ruck for a long time and as a ruckman he makes a great forward.
Seen a lot of Himmelberg rucking have you?

I'll answer that for you....no you haven't.

Seen a lot of Himmelberg rucking have you?

I'll answer that for you....no you haven't.
I see as much of Adelaide playing as Port so I've seen a bit. He rucked quite well in the game against Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval when O'Brien was spent. He doesn't get much of a run in the ruck and if you see the other post I just wrote I said that Frampton has more experience than Himmler as a ruck and because Walker is kicking goals that has hurt Himmler's prospects of a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back