Preview Changes: R6 2021 v Hawthorn in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is it with concussion that we have had to put into place protocols where doctors can overrule players/coaches?

Essentially because the player will always say that he can play. These protocols are now in place to protect the players from themselves and from their own poor judgement.

Why then with other injuries is it left completely up to the player to make the call?

Don't we think that maybe the same principle might apply? That players might put their hand up to play when it's actually in their best interest to rest?

Why is it with concussion that we have had to put into place protocols where doctors can overrule players/coaches?

Essentially because the player will always say that he can play. These protocols are now in place to protect the players from themselves and from their own poor judgement.

Why then with other injuries is it left completely up to the player to make the call?

Don't we think that maybe the same principle might apply? That players might put their hand up to play when it's actually in their best interest to rest?

Because it isn't. Clubs might ask a player for feedback but they'll base their decisions on scans and performance testing.

The days of "you tell Scotty Thompson he's not playing" are over.

It's interesting people are calling for McAdam to be dropped when he's only averaging two possessions per game less than Berry, who everyone's raving about. And that's with McAdam playing in a graveyard position, averaging two goals per game more and Berry spending a lot of time on the ball.

Maybe it's time for Hately to come in for Berry?

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about SANFL form?

Our SANFL team is lead by a guy who retired 3 years ago and another who retired 7 years ago! The team is then rounded out by guys who are no good but we haven't been able to delist yet, children and top-ups.

How form in these games translates in any way to AFL readiness is beyond me.
I care about it, but when you've got guys in the senior side in the type of "form" they are in, or carrying sore spots or injuries.... Then you've gotta get fresh guys in the side.

It's interesting people are calling for McAdam to be dropped when he's only averaging two possessions per game less than Berry, who everyone's raving about. And that's with McAdam playing in a graveyard position, averaging two goals per game more and Berry spending a lot of time on the ball.

I think it was due to a qualitative reckoning of McAdam’s game on Sunday

He's clearly carrying something, the manic pressure isn't there like it was last year. If not for some Walker charity he'd not have touched the ball in the first half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My changes ...

Frampton -> Himmelberg
Walker -> Thilthorpe
McAdam -> Jones
Lynch -> Worrell

My thoughts behind it:

Himmelberg - competes hard, does a lot more than just brings the ball to ground. Frampton is Jenkins-lite.

Thilthorpe - Tex needs a rest, he is injured - calves are bad news. Just do it. There will be a much less over-the-top atmosphere to RTs first game in Tassie than at AO. Can play on the wing and up forward.

Jones - the real strange one in here. I just think we need to work this out, play him in the Forward role. Provides much more pressure than McAdam at the moment, hard runner, can take a good mark, decent shot on goal. I hear the "but we are rewarding bad SANFL form" - which I get, but I think this is important for the longer term. Some guys will just rot on the vine in the lower levels.

Worrell - Lynch is stuffed physically, really stuffed. Needs to be rested throughout the year. Worrell is due. Let's see it.

I think Jones and Fog can rotate through the middle.

Hoping to be at the ground if I can get some tickets for my clan - on sale on Wednesday (hopefully not sold out), weather is looking good - nice day trip up north to see the boys in the flesh :)

I'm glad you're not in charge. Keep playing him, he is gettint better and better. Manage his TOG if anything.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don't wanna manage him his week as such, but he'll need a week somewhere. We've got Sloane back in a week or 2, and Pedlar building too

Give him a week off in a few then straight back in

For the millionth time - Jake Kelly is at 0 Risk of losing his spot currently

Himmelberg is a lock for this week , I also think it’s time for Hately

Because it isn't. Clubs might ask a player for feedback but they'll base their decisions on scans and performance testing.

The days of "you tell Scotty Thompson he's not playing" are over.
That's all it's ever been

It still happens which is why they've had to introduce the concussion protocols

Specifically because it DOES still happen

Berg for Frampton

Hately for Lynch with Fog playing the Lynch role

Would like to see Worrell come in, be great to have him developed to be Doedee like player and allow Dude some minutes in the middle.

Would like to have Newchurch in up forward to create some havoc, I don't think Rowe+McHenry+Murphy is the right balance
Have you seen Fog run ? He can’t play the Lynch role but we don’t necessarily need a Lynch role . Hately and Shoenberg can play mid and high forward

agree RE Newchurch - he’s probably as ready as anyone playing 2s , putting his name up ever since pre season games started

As much as I like him, sends a terrible message to anyone else

Do you really think those messages have any meaning at all. What message does it send encouraging senior players to play poorly when injured and then protecting their egos in pressers? I wouldn't worry about messages, we just need to make good decisions.

That's all it's ever been

It still happens which is why they've had to introduce the concussion protocols

Specifically because it DOES still happen

Yeah but concussion is a completely different ball game. It impairs the player's judgment. You can't see concussion. You can't measure what damage it's done to the brain until the player is dead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back