Preview Changes: R6 2021 v Hawthorn in Tasmania

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Yeah but concussion is a completely different ball game. It impairs the player's judgment. You can't see concussion. You can't measure what damage it's done to the brain until the player is dead.
And that's why I said it's the same principle, not the same injury or severity or log term health risk

How is Lynch's ability to play a two hour contact sport while running 15km impacted by his toe injury? Who knows. You can't test for that during the week. You have to project which involves a certain degree of guesswork both on the part of the medical staff and from the player. Do you think you can get through? Do you think he can get through?

Look at Talia's finish to last season. Knee was clearly an issue. The deciding factor was not how the knee was. It was that we need to get some wins, need to get something from the season, need to start building our culture. Medically he could have played or not played.

Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's interesting people are calling for McAdam to be dropped when he's only averaging two possessions per game less than Berry, who everyone's raving about. And that's with McAdam playing in a graveyard position, averaging two goals per game more and Berry spending a lot of time on the ball.

Maybe it's time for Hately to come in for Berry?
Did you watch the game?

mcadam spent the day behind his opponent and was completely toweled up. Was non competitive.

berry was 100% effort.

silly post

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
Did you watch the game?

mcadam spent the day behind his opponent and was completely toweled up. Was non competitive.

berry was 100% effort.

silly post

I did. Effort is great. Averaging 9 possessions per game is grading on a curve. He needs a spell in the twos.

Sep 8, 2008
Pacific Northwest
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Seattle Seahawks
And that's why I said it's the same principle, not the same injury or severity or log term health risk

How is Lynch's ability to play a two hour contact sport while running 15km impacted by his toe injury? Who knows. You can't test for that during the week. You have to project which involves a certain degree of guesswork both on the part of the medical staff and from the player. Do you think you can get through? Do you think he can get through?

Look at Talia's finish to last season. Knee was clearly an issue. The deciding factor was not how the knee was. It was that we need to get some wins, need to get something from the season, need to start building our culture. Medically he could have played or not played.

You posted "Why then with other injuries is it left completely up to the player to make the call?"

That's what I disagree with - it's never left completely up to the player.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Any thoughts on McPherson the last few weeks? Hasn't seemed to find a tonne of the football and has coughed up the ball on several occasions causing goals. Seems to have lost a bit of the polish he has early on.

Rewarding Jones in any way for his SANFL performance would destroy the morale of our squad. He was abysmal. You cannot have a bloke like Worrell play well and not bring them in, only to bring in Jones after a dead set stinker

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
You posted "Why then with other injuries is it left completely up to the player to make the call?"

That's what I disagree with - it's never left completely up to the player.

Of course it is. The coaches have said exactly this. The experienced guys know their bodies and the call is left to them.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Rewarding Jones in any way for his SANFL performance would destroy the morale of our squad. He was abysmal. You cannot have a bloke like Worrell play well and not bring them in, only to bring in Jones after a dead set stinker

I think the players understand the difference between selecting a key position type and a small forward/mid. Selecting Jones if McAdam is injured would piss off only Hately. Plus, SANFL form is probably understood to not be the key selection criteria, training form seems more relevant.

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sounds like resting him for the sake of it. He is spending 60% to 70% TOG at the moment. If he drops out for a week he may not come back for a while as we hate making changes.
I don't wanna manage him his week as such, but he'll need a week somewhere. We've got Sloane back in a week or 2, and Pedlar building too

Give him a week off in a few then straight back in

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Best comment in this thread so far.

Swans brought Logan McDonald into the seniors without having to prove his worth in the local leagues. So many other clubs have done the same thing. Get Thilthorpe in and let's get some quality delivery to him. We need to start getting some senior minutes into Worrell and Pedlar.

Absolutely love what Berry is bringing, but his tackling is way down on his previous games, need to give him a rest.

Just get Worrell/Thilthorpe in and give them minutes between the Wing and Fwd. Can't be THAT much worse than Frampton/Lynch at the moment.

Schoenberg & Ned are also improving on their 2020 numbers, but i'd also be looking to bring in Pedlar for some minutes if either of those boys need a rest or it looks like their form is dropping a bit.

Let's be honest here, we're not competing to make the 8.

Out:
-Lynch (managed)
-Berry (managed)
-Frampton (omitted)

In:
- Thilthorpe
- Worrell
- Hately

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Do you really think those messages have any meaning at all. What message does it send encouraging senior players to play poorly when injured and then protecting their egos in pressers? I wouldn't worry about messages, we just need to make good decisions.

the best messages are dropping underperforming senior players and putting the word “omitted” next to them

I have already backed Hawks at $1.65, they are a shoe-in

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Sounds like resting him for the sake of it. He is spending 60% to 70% TOG at the moment. If he drops out for a week he may not come back for a while as we hate making changes.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
The style of game he plays will require a spell. Also given he's played no footy in the prior 18 months he's going to tire.

We've got pther kids to roll through the side

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our selection commitee does a lot of things that make no sense whatsoever but I can't see them bringing Jones in. Worrell should have been selected weeks ago and his non-selection is a bit of a strange one. My take is that it will take some bad losses before Nick's makes any significant change. We should at least have some inclusions this week due to injury.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
The style of game he plays will require a spell. Also given he's played no footy in the prior 18 months he's going to tire.

We've got pther kids to roll through the side

Hately is ready now but might need a game in the 2s after missing. Pedlar you'd think would need 2 or 3 more for fitness before being considered. Sloane will be back by then, but we'll probably be prepared to give Lynch a needed injury break when he returns, so hopefully the opportunitiy for a young mid will remain.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our selection commitee does a lot of things that make no sense whatsoever but I can't see them bringing Jones in. Worrell should have been selected weeks ago. His non-selection is a bit of a strange one. My take is that it will take some bad losses before Nick's makes any significant change.

Worrell's issue is the right spot opening up. We're currently playing only 1 KPD and he seems to be behind Butts and Murray. Talia will be back before both the other 2 go out and there's no certainty that he's ahead of McAsey. Doubtful he'd be any closer if he was playing forward either. Reckon he'll need a few things go his way to get a game this year.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Swans brought Logan McDonald into the seniors without having to prove his worth in the local leagues. So many other clubs have done the same thing. Get Thilthorpe in and let's get some quality delivery to him. We need to start getting some senior minutes into Worrell and Pedlar.
McDonald & Thilthorpe are at different points in their development.

I remember hearing a quote from one of the Sydney coaches. McDonald's first man-on-man contest at training was on Dane Rampe (AA defender), and McDonald pantsed him. According to the Adelaide coaches, TT still needs work on this aspect of his game.

Not all players are equal, even if they were taken around the same position in the draft.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Worrell's issue is the right spot opening up. We're currently playing only 1 KPD and he seems to be behind Butts and Murray. Talia will be back before both the other 2 go out and there's no certainty that he's ahead of McAsey. Doubtful he'd be any closer if he was playing forward either. Reckon he'll need a few things go his way to get a game this year.
I think Worrell could play both ends of the ground. I would bring him in for Lynch or down back instead of Hamill, Brown, Kelly, McPherson. Butts has the key spot locked down back and Doedee is a lock along with Smith but as for the others they aren't setting the world on fire and Worrell could replace any of them.

In saying that I see Worrell as a winger/half forward type. Basically the Lynch role. Lynch's day has passed and it's now time to start building for the future. I notice Nick's body language whenever Worrell is mentioned and it's rather dismissive so it seems he's not in Nick's plans this year which is unfortunate.

The club isn't in a position to be close minded on any player. We should be looking at any combination from our list that can improve us. I feel Nick's will come to this realisation shortly.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

Absolutely love what Berry is bringing, but his tackling is way down on his previous games, need to give him a rest.

Just get Worrell/Thilthorpe in and give them minutes between the Wing and Fwd. Can't be THAT much worse than Frampton/Lynch at the moment.

Schoenberg & Ned are also improving on their 2020 numbers, but i'd also be looking to bring in Pedlar for some minutes if either of those boys need a rest or it looks like their form is dropping a bit.

Let's be honest here, we're not competing to make the 8.

Out:
-Lynch (managed)
-Berry (managed)
-Frampton (omitted)

In:
- Thilthorpe
- Worrell
- Hately
I've detected no on field signals whatsoever that Berry needs a "rest" at this point, sure when that time comes give him a spell but he's performing admirably for a 1st year player at this point.

Tackle count might have been down but his clearance count was his best yet which could indicate he's being used more offensively around the stoppages also.

He's also only averaging only around 70% T.O.G. and his "endurance" testing even after a year off was still in the top 10 percentile in his draft class.

Jun 29, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
McHenry f**king sucks, yes he puts pressure on but half the time he goes into the contest way too hot and actually hinders one of our players who might actually be able to get their hands on the ball and get a meaningful possession or he knocks the ball onto a waiting opposition player, he is a s**t kick and does not offer enough to warrant his spot. Piss him off and bring in Pedlar (If fit).

Also that massive spud Frampton should never play at AFL level for us again. Bring in TT.

It’s difficult at the moment because we have players who shouldn’t be playing because they are clearly injured. Lynch & McAdam. Also massive spuds like Frampton & McHenry but not enough fit players who really deserve a game in the SANFL.

Back