Preview Changes: R6 2021 v Hawthorn in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

I know a lot of you won't agree (with good reason), but I reeaaalllyy want to see Chayce be given a handful of games starting this week, and see if he can step it up with the team playing their system better than last year.

He is a one trick pony but without a real trick. Pressure is admiral and if applied properly as good as a possession. I’ve been watching him closely and I can’t see where he is going to add an extra string to his bow. Also Murphy and Rowe are both clearly better and I would rather a Predlar/Cook rather than another small forward running around not offering that much.
He fits the current Nick's mould of helping to lift the teams competitiveness through increasing our pressure. This is the best way to increase an average teams competitiveness. I'm not knocking it as it's the only option available to stay competitive until the reinforcements arrive through the trade and draft but once our list improves and we go into the next phase where the coach needs more than pressure he will be obsolete very quickly.

Last edited:

I posted this on the Tex Goal thread but I think relevant here
I don’t want us taking chances with his calf would rather rest him
Huge out I know but I think we need to consider it

“This came up today
I think so much has gone on Tex’s life in recent years. We all know his personal tragedy as well as the loss of Phil
Since relinquishing the Captaincy and then now a reborn personal family this guy has progressed and not regressed

I too thought his days were numbered
The game has changed but he seems to have worked his butt off to get fitter but that is not all I think mentally he has changed

His face looks so anti stressed and even though this was probably a earlier clip ( pre calf ). I just hope people see what I see.”

Why ? Serious based on what body of work ?
1st two SANFL Games and rumour he performing on the training track, guess that better than most around,
Crows lost the Game against Freo in the midfield, Currently, the Crows midfield is carrying close to 4 players who are not finding enough of the ball, it time they replace one of them with someone who can find the ball.

Any thoughts on McPherson the last few weeks? Hasn't seemed to find a tonne of the football and has coughed up the ball on several occasions causing goals. Seems to have lost a bit of the polish he has early on.
2nd year blues - he will work his way thru it , could give him a spell if he doesn’t improve soon though and Worrell a shot

I still have nightmares and anger issues from that 2017 game against North... that was the first time I had doubts about Pyke and his coaching abilities..

The stupidity of Don to sit by and watch that entire first quarter and not make one single change during it to try and stem the flow was just ludicrous.
I was there ... in the stand at the goal scoring end.

I said to my kids "surely our coach isn't this daft?" - We were allowing shots from 40-50m with the gale force wind, then when we got the wind we belted it in deep and watched it sail over our forwards' heads. Not just one quarter, but both with the wind. Genius.

The time before that Sanderson showed himself to be what we feared too ... Ziebel went forward and killed us.

One big difference this time is I don't really care about the result, am more excited by who they include in the team for me to see in the flesh. We must be rank outsiders? Our mids are still putting the L plates up :)

1st two SANFL Games and rumour he performing on the training track, guess that better than most around,
Crows lost the Game against Freo in the midfield, Currently, the Crows midfield is carrying close to 4 players who are not finding enough of the ball, it time they replace one of them with someone who can find the ball.
The Crows forward line is carrying close to 4 players who are not finding enough of the ball, it time they replace one of them with someone who can find the goals.

The Crows forward line is carrying close to 4 players who are not finding enough of the ball, it time they replace one of them with someone who can find the goals.
Yea and they can be replaced every week but if they are not getting decent service any replacement to the forward line will not help win games.

We seem to be a mid short... which couldn't possibly have anything to do with Fogarty replacing Sloane?
What?????? Fogarty you say? Replaced Sloane you say?? First I've heard you mention this idea :rolleyes:

Jeez our coaches must be stupid. Instead of changing the mix in mids with rotations and different combinations, they just put Fog's magnet where Sloane's would be ... and dust their hands off after a job well done?

I know a lot of you won't agree (with good reason), but I reeaaalllyy want to see Chayce be given a handful of games starting this week, and see if he can step it up with the team playing their system better than last year.
Trouble is he has had many chances previously and has spudded it up. 5 disposals in the 2nds match is abysmal for a 1st round pick. He needs to sort it out soon or he'll be shown the door.

McDonald & Thilthorpe are at different points in their development.

I remember hearing a quote from one of the Sydney coaches. McDonald's first man-on-man contest at training was on Dane Rampe (AA defender), and McDonald pantsed him. According to the Adelaide coaches, TT still needs work on this aspect of his game.

Not all players are equal, even if they were taken around the same position in the draft.
And McDonald has been shithouse for the last three weeks.

Who cares. Develop Thilthorpe at the rate that best suits him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like Berry will get managed. Probably best that he doesn't travel.
I'd say HBerg for Frampton, Hately for Berry and possibly Worrell if McAdam doesn't pull up with some tweaking

Sounds like Berry will get managed. Probably best that he doesn't travel.
I'd say HBerg for Frampton, Hately for Berry and possibly Worrell if McAdam doesn't pull up with some tweaking
Would be smart to give Berry a freshen up or two during the season

Hopefully we're also smart with our older players

Good options although I would keep McAdam and push Worrell forward for Tex. I would also drop McHenry for Newchurch
I like Ned. He makes some dumb overzealous errors but I like the mongrel in him. Tariek will be a gun. Just needs some time to grow into his body.
I need to keep remembering we are year 2 into our rebuild. They've exceeded all expectations which maybe makes us harsher on them than what we should be.

I need to keep remembering we are year 2 into our rebuild. They've exceeded all expectations which maybe makes us harsher on them than what we should be.
I think we (as fans) will cop some indifferent results if our decisions are obviously part of a longer term plan

Sticking with an underperforming young player for longer
Continuing with a match up that's not working
Playing an attacking style that we don't quite have the skill to pull off yet etc

If it's stuff to win Saturday eg cautious ball movement, Mackay > Worrell, unfit player taking the field etc then not so much

Last edited:
Tex needs a rest.

Frampton is no good.

Fogarty goes forward for Tex.
TT goes in for Frampton.

McAdam doesn't do anything unless it's easy - would be inclined to drop him as well.
McAdam doesn’t do anything unless it’s easy? I would suggest it’s the opposite, he’s just trying to do too much and is burning too much energy doing so. I’m confident this is a minor form slump, we all know he has a good pressure game and can hit marking contests hard, has also improved his set shots this year.

They could even say "you have a month otherwise it's back to Grandpa Gooden". I just want to see them put him with one of the three assistant coaches and just get in his head, he doesn't need a psych, he needs someone who has runs on the board and if they can't get him going, then we did our best. I just don't want to see us give up a top 10 pick so easily

Why though? We've already tried this and he's shown no ability to do so and hasn't even got close to it at SANFL level.

AFL level he's required to play HFF or FP where he's even less likely to do anything to prove his worth, he'll get 5-10 touches and a couple of shots to run through the midfield without doing much. Even with structure improvements this year, he was given ample opportunities in the middle last year. Unless he can start to show some actual improvement at SANFL level he shouldn't be gifted another game imo.

They could even say "you have a month otherwise it's back to Grandpa Gooden". I just want to see them put him with one of the three assistant coaches and just get in his head, he doesn't need a psych, he needs someone who has runs on the board and if they can't get him going, then we did our best. I just don't want to see us give up a top 10 pick so easily
Where we took him is irrelevant. Just because we took him at pick 9 doesn't mean that was his true pick value based on where every other club had him on their list board and then averaging out his real pick value. Some clubs may have had him value at 20 and some clubs at 30. I think we need to get away from what pick a player was taken at. You give a player every chance to succeed but you shouldn't flog a dead horse more just because we incorrectly rated him higher in comparison to other players. We may need to look at whoever is rating the players as we don't seem to be overly successful recently.

Where we took him is irrelevant. Just because we took him at pick 9 doesn't mean that was his true pick value based on where every other club had him on their list board and then averaging out his real pick value. Some clubs may have had him value at 20 and some clubs at 30. I think we need to get away from what pick a player was taken at. You give a player every chance to succeed but you shouldn't flog a dead horse more just because we incorrectly rated him higher in comparison to other players. We may need to look at whoever is rating the players as we don't seem to be overly successful recently.
Gee I dunno, we've had a lot more hits than misses, Jones and Gallucci notwithstanding.

How ironic you talk about "getting away from what pick we took him at" when you seem to talk about that a lot with said player and many others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back