Strategy Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone please tell me how Honeychurch stays in the side this week? Even Clay Smith laid some F50 tackles which is more than Honeychurch did. He gave us NOTHING last week. Nothing

The little play last week where Honey was fed an easy opportunity and promptly shat his pants and dropped the footy like it was molten summed up his career (the ball went up the other end where Fletch lost THAT contest and they got an easy goal).

Two of my least favourite players combining for a swift 12 pt turnaround.

Can only assume Honey is getting the Ayce treatment. Not sure why, its not like he is tall, can kick or anything...

Good luck to Young Lewis, good to see new blood. Doubt he's really ready for the physicality, but least he gets a taste and he has some tricks. Side is still too small, but some nice inclusions with Murphy, Biggs and Williams.

Massive 4 weeks starts tomorrow. If we are to make it we must win most if not all of them.

Someone please tell me how Honeychurch stays in the side this week? Even Clay Smith laid some F50 tackles which is more than Honeychurch did. He gave us NOTHING last week. Nothing

10 tackles for Honey the week before.

He could be the sort of player we desperately need, but things haven't clicked. Playing in a side that has been shite doesn't help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is the answer to the question some have asked on this forum as to why a lot of us are asking why Webb is not being given a go.

It's not only being given a go, but in his handful of games spread over a few seasons Webb has been asked to play multiple positions.

Some players are just unlucky while others seem very lucky.

Unless something drastically changes, can't see Webb playing with us next year. If that transpires then I hope the Webb doubters are correct as IMO he has the potential to become very good.

Webb has been slaughtered by our club IMO.

he doesnt provide anything for a guy of his size, he cant hit the scoreboard.
he isnt afl standard in any aspects

Don't get the relevance of the final he played two years ago as a 20 year old?

He's laid 17 tackles in the last fortnight. That's 12 more than Stringer, while having the same number of disposals. He laid 4 more tackles and had 2 more touches than Clay Smith last week.

I know it goes against the grain this year not to call any player who isn't Bont trash, but he's worked hard to earn a run in the seniors to see if he can make the grade. He might not be close to a gun, but he has potential and has shown some traits we lack (creativity forward (see GAs v NM), F50 pressure acts).

He's laid 17 tackles in the last fortnight. That's 12 more than Stringer, while having the same number of disposals. He laid 4 more tackles and had 2 more touches than Clay Smith last week.

I know it goes against the grain this year not to call any player who isn't Bont trash, but he's worked hard to earn a run in the seniors to see if he can make the grade. He might not be close to a gun, but he has potential and has shown some traits we lack (creativity forward (see GAs v NM), F50 pressure acts).

Honey is a genuinely s**t player IMO.

Chris Mayne is also a great tackler who can't finish in front of goal but is a better mark than Honey. Would you like Mayne at our club??

For the record Mayne is also a genuinely s**t player...but he's better than Honey. IMO.

It's not only being given a go, but in his handful of games spread over a few seasons Webb has been asked to play multiple positions.

Some players are just unlucky while others seem very lucky.

Unless something drastically changes, can't see Webb playing with us next year. If that transpires then I hope the Webb doubters are correct as IMO he has the potential to become very good.

Webb has been slaughtered by our club IMO.
You're overstating this. Webb played half back (a position he'd barely played before) for the first year, then has been a mid/forward pretty much ever since. The likes of Roberts, Bontempelli, Roughead, Stringer, Hunter, Cordy, McLean, Boyd, Daniel and Redpath were also all thrown around to a comparable extent in the opening few years of their career. It's not that unusual.

Webb is just yet to nail down a role at AFL level and it baffles me that this continues to be ignored in the Webb love-in.

You're overstating this. Webb played half back (a position he'd barely played before) for the first year, then has been a mid/forward pretty much ever since. The likes of Roberts, Bontempelli, Roughead, Stringer, Hunter, Cordy, McLean, Boyd, Daniel and Redpath were also all thrown around to a comparable extent in the opening few years of their career. It's not that unusual.

Webb is just yet to nail down a role at AFL level and it baffles me that this continues to be ignored in the Webb love-in.

I wouldn't call it a Webb love in - more puzzlement that a number of obviously less talented players have been given an extended run at it ahead of Webb.

Webb certainly hasn't set the world on fire in seniors. But neither has he been given a consistent run at it like others. One of the few players who seem to get dropped after only a game or two.

I wouldn't call it a Webb love in - more puzzlement that a number of obviously less talented players have been given an extended run at it ahead of Webb.

Webb certainly hasn't set the world on fire in seniors. But neither has he been given a consistent run at it like others. One of the few players who seem to get dropped after only a game or two.
I think a lot of your argument is fair but I also think Webb's failings have a tendency to be overlooked or glossed over around here. My personal opinion is that too many are seduced by overly positive memories of him at half back and are incensed over the club's decision to move him. As a result they view him more complimentarily than is warranted. Of course, not everybody is going to agree with that - it's just how I see it.

FWIW, I'd have played him this week. I think he offers a bit more than Honey. End of the day, though, neither are established AFL players. The decision isn't as clear cut as is made out in my opinion.

This will be Honeychurchs 5th straight game this year. I would bet my left nut if Webb was given that same opportunity hed be settled and playing good footy. What a ******* waste of 5 games. 1 or 2 yeah fair enough. It's not even like he has any good traits whatsoever in his game (at afl level). He's rubbish. At least with players like Jong you can see the upside were hoping to get out of him with his athleticism and marking ability. What's Honey seriously got? He tackles hard? Great, I expect all our players to tackle hard. Literally everything he has touched has turned to s**t this year. He's the exact type of player this team cant afford to carry considering how wasteful and inefficient even our good players are. It makes literally no sense whatsoever how he is still getting a game.

Honey is a genuinely s**t player IMO.

Chris Mayne is also a great tackler who can't finish in front of goal but is a better mark than Honey. Would you like Mayne at our club??

For the record Mayne is also a genuinely s**t player...but he's better than Honey. IMO.

So your "drops mic" comment is to compare him to a player that is 7 years older, 5 inches taller and 10kgs heavier and plays a different position? Pls.

I would love 22 year old Chris Mayne at our club. Most players aren't at their peak at 22 and I doubt Honey is.

Not going to argue with the "everyone's s**t" brigade.

This will be Honeychurchs 5th straight game this year. I would bet my left nut if Webb was given that same opportunity hed be settled and playing good footy. What a ******* waste of 5 games. 1 or 2 yeah fair enough. It's not even like he has any good traits whatsoever in his game (at afl level). He's rubbish. At least with players like Jong you can see the upside were hoping to get out of him with his athleticism and marking ability. What's Honey seriously got? He tackles hard? Great, I expect all our players to tackle hard.
He's a significantly better runner than Webb, both in terms of ground covered over the course of a game (a huge difference between the two here, based on my viewing) and speed. He's a lot more accountable and holds his place in the structure more stringently. His intensity is always up (compared to Webb's, which is much improved but still wavers from moment to moment - likely due to fitness). He showed in the first couple of weeks that he can find the ball when he plays up-field (20 and 16 disposals in these rounds, compared to Webb's career highs of 17 and 16) but also offers something (i.e. pressure plays) when forced to play deeper.

As I've said previously, I don't think he's AFL standard and I would have played Webb over him. I don't agree with the suggestion that Honey has no attributes, though.

So your "drops mic" comment is to compare him to a player that is 7 years older, 5 inches taller and 10kgs heavier and plays a different position? Pls.

I would love 22 year old Chris Mayne at our club. Most players aren't at their peak at 22 and I doubt Honey is.

Not going to argue with the "everyone's s**t" brigade.

Settle petal. I'd have less than four players on our list that are genuinely s**t players. Hardly everyone.

At the end of the season the MC's decision to give certain
players games ahead of other players will probably shine
like a beacon, i think personally that we have at least
eleven players who are not playing to their ability which
makes it hard to select a team week in week out.

This will be Honeychurchs 5th straight game this year. I would bet my left nut if Webb was given that same opportunity hed be settled and playing good footy. What a ******* waste of 5 games. 1 or 2 yeah fair enough. It's not even like he has any good traits whatsoever in his game (at afl level). He's rubbish. At least with players like Jong you can see the upside were hoping to get out of him with his athleticism and marking ability. What's Honey seriously got? He tackles hard? Great, I expect all our players to tackle hard. Literally everything he has touched has turned to s**t this year. He's the exact type of player this team cant afford to carry considering how wasteful and inefficient even our good players are. It makes literally no sense whatsoever how he is still getting a game.

Literally everything he's touched has turned to s**t?

He leads our team in goal assists over the last 4 weeks with 5. Bont leads our team with 10 for the season.

Geez people can be miserable bastards after some losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back