Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Got tackled way too much and if he's going to position himself as the hit up forward, he needs to kick it better IMO. I thought he was poorer watching the replay than I thought live. He may not get dropped, but he needed to be better tonight than he was. He literally got the game of his dreams - an open forward line to lead into and he returned 1.2. Thought he should have been better. He's unlikely to get those suitable conditions again.

Fair enough, I'll need to watch again before I make an assessment.

I thought he was very actively involved in a few of our goals and if he kicks straight he ends up with 3 (good return). We know better than anyone that kicking isn't our strong suit so he isn't alone there. He is getting involved in more and more contests and I think if we persist with Jack we see him have a game this year where he gets on the end of 4 or 5. He is still so young in terms of games played and for me is showing more than enough given his experience level.

Fair enough, I'll need to watch again before I make an assessment.

I thought he was very actively involved in a few of our goals and if he kicks straight he ends up with 3 (good return). We know better than anyone that kicking isn't our strong suit so he isn't alone there. He is getting involved in more and more contests and I think if we persist with Jack we see him have a game this year where he gets on the end of 4 or 5. He is still so young in terms of games played and for me is showing more than enough given his experience level.

This. He has played EIGHT senior games.

I loved his leading patterns today.

I would go as follows (subject to availability):

Out: Campbell (victim of Rough's availability potentially), Dale (looks tired, we have seen enough to know he will be okay in the long run), Prudden (had some nice involvements today, still not sold, think we have better options at this stage)

In: Roughead (if available), Webb (we are still making silly disposal errors and Webb is so clean, like to see him off a wing with Hunter delivering to the leading forwards), Hamling/Roberts (whoever is available, we will need another tall down back against the druggies)

If Roberts or Hamling arent available, Roughy can play back and then leave Campbell in.

It feels like i say this every week, but this is one of the games I really want to win. We have come very close against the bombers in recent time and not been able to get them. They were pretty solid on Saturday against Port and showed they can still compete in a shoot out. We will need to bring the same pressure we did today to get over the line.

Campbell stays for sure. He looks decent as number 1 ruck although not particularly damaging forward, he needs an extended run there to really get used to the pace. His centre work was much better than Minno's and his lace out daisy cutter to Murph was something I've never seen one of our ruckmen ever do. Dude has more scope than I previously gave him credit for.

Hamling and Roberts have to come in if they're fit. I'm with BRG93, Talia and Dale out for the twin towers.

Agree that redpath is poor as a second ruckman, but Essendon don't even have one, let alone 2. So I'd be comfortable sticking with just Campbell this week (assuming roughie's still out).

I'd like to see Webb come back in for prudden, and see Dale get a rest as well. Yes, prudden played well, but Webb is a borderline elite young talent that I want in the 22 as much as possible.
Sorry at the minute Redpath is the best ruckman at the club
Campbell worked hard and needs more games but Redpath is very effective in the ruck

Sorry at the minute Redpath is the best ruckman at the club
Campbell worked hard and needs more games but Redpath is very effective in the ruck
Probably trollling, but I'll bite anyway.

Redpath had 3 hitouts today. I don't know how many stoppages he was our ruckman for, but that doesn't suggest he had a "very effective" role in the ruck.

Would be interested in hitouts-to-advantage stats, but don't have them yet.

For context:
Campbell 28, Redpath, 3Stringer 2 and Bont 1

Witts 19, Grundy 17, Pendlebury 1

Probably trollling, but I'll bite anyway.

Redpath had 3 hitouts today. I don't know how many stoppages he was our ruckman for, but that doesn't suggest he had a "very effective" role in the ruck.

Would be interested in hitouts-to-advantage stats, but don't have them yet.

For context:
Campbell 28, Redpath, 3Stringer 2 and Bont 1

Witts 19, Grundy 17, Pendlebury 1
Who ever took the ruck stats was clearly drunk
Campbell was beaten badly
He got better as the game went
Red path did not permit any hits to advantage even in the center where he should have been destroyed

Essendon's talls are concerning, must have 2 fit KPDs this week with Morris as the 3rd, that's the only way they can win imo if their talls (Hooker and Daniher up forward, Hurley baths us down back) dominate, otherwise we'll lock them down and strangle them out of it and expose them for speed

All dependent on availability for mine. If one of Roberts/Hamling is good to go, they come in for Dale. If both are alright, they come in for Dale and Talia. If Roughead is alright to go it gets tougher...I don't want to drop any of our talls but I don't want to get too much taller. Not an easy call and Campbell probably gets a bit of a raw deal in this situation.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hamilton get an opportunity for Daniel either.

Who ever took the ruck stats was clearly drunk
Campbell was beaten badly
He got better as the game went
Red path did not permit any hits to advantage even in the center where he should have been destroyed

In depth look at hitout stats:

Campbell: 28 with 8 to advantage 4 frees against (one holding the ball, others probably in ruck contests?)
Redpath: 3 with 2 to advantage, 5 frees against (not sure how many in ruck contests)
Bontempelli: 1 with 0 to advantage

Witts: 19 with 5 to advantage
Grundy: 17 with 7 to advantage
Pendlebury: 1 with 1 to advantage

Campbell was clearly not "beaten badly".

In depth look at hitout stats:

Campbell: 28 with 8 to advantage 4 frees against (one holding the ball, others probably in ruck contests?)
Redpath: 3 with 2 to advantage, 5 frees against (not sure how many in ruck contests)
Bontempelli: 1 with 0 to advantage

Witts: 19 with 5 to advantage
Grundy: 17 with 7 to advantage
Pendlebury: 1 with 1 to advantage

Campbell was clearly not "beaten badly".
Out of curiosity - where do you get hitout to advantage stats? It's one basic stat I've never been able to find.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. He has played EIGHT senior games.

I loved his leading patterns today.
Especially the one the commentatators highlighted how he would not have been proud of his efforts. Must have lost sight of the ball. I think he tries hard but is so slow in his movements but has a go to the best of his ability. Unfortunalely probably not going to make it as he is really a one trick pony in the forward line. Ruck work is fair

Talia for Roughead
Dale for Roberts/Hamling (whichever is fitter)
I'd keep Daniel in, he needs some time to get used to the pace and pressure of AFL footy, and when he does he'll be a star. Prudden also deserves to stay, just so he gets a proper chance before we make a decision on him at the end of the year. Would like to see Webb or Hamilton in but don't see how to make room for them.

Give Minson and Grant showcase games for their new club? haha , just kidding!
Minson got suspended by the Vfl 1 week only .Bring in Roughead to back up Campbell spitting his time in the backine when his rested for a few minutes.

Haven't read through the thread but if anyone is suggesting dropping Campbell(Minson has been suspended) or Redpath who for the second week in a row has looked like our best tall forward since Barry Hall's brief stint, I'll vow not to visit this thread again for the week.

Now to read the thread. Wish me luck.

(Update: Hmm, some errs and umms on both but not many if any calling for out and out dropping. Still might skip the thread as Beveridge and the team know what they're doing at the moment and my guess is as good as anyones)

Talia for Roughead
Dale for Roberts/Hamling (whichever is fitter)
I'd keep Daniel in, he needs some time to get used to the pace and pressure of AFL footy, and when he does he'll be a star. Prudden also deserves to stay, just so he gets a proper chance before we make a decision on him at the end of the year. Would like to see Webb or Hamilton in but don't see how to make room for them.
BRG doesn't think roughie will be ready this week.

Someone said Fletch still had a fair limp at the game yesterday, may even stretch to two more weeks. WTF is up with Hamling as well? he played out the game after that awkward fall then misses 2 weeks, Surely has to be back this week. Talia goes to Hooker and Hamling to Daniher?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back