Prediction Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
M
The AC joint is one of the easiest things to know if it's ok to go or not

any medium bump to the shoulder will tell ANYONE if it's effecting the player as your arm goes numb and you can't lift it. There would be no need to ask a player if he was ok it would be more than obvious.
Media making things up

M

Media making things up

I can't say that but you cannot hide an AC injury mate it's impossible.

It was onvious 5 mins in Stringer wasn't right, anyone that's done an AC could see the signs and I've unfortunately done it 5 times.

It's debilitating and painful and impossible to play through properly

I can't say that but you cannot hide an AC injury mate it's impossible.

It was onvious 5 mins in Stringer wasn't right, anyone that's done an AC could see the signs and I've unfortunately done it 5 times.

It's debilitating and painful and impossible to play through properly
Yeah I know they hurt (been there too) and it's only a matter of time before you re injure them. Just strange how they dug up that theory as a contributing factor to his omission. Times are changing if it's true... Once upon a time you admired players who would lie about their fitness in order to play....

Further to my earlier post...
Was fascinating to see how games are coded and reviews had. We watched the footage that the coaches get - three views, telecast, a side view a little wider than telecast and behind the goals.

A lot was focused on the Saints obviously so I'll touch on that stuff before getting to the dogs. It was the week of the Swans game. Welsh basically said the club were treating it as win and we play finals (they obviously don't think North would win another game).

Geary is their Morris - directs and teaches as the game flows. Watching it, my option of him grew immensely - he's a damn fine player. The saints play a "own the largest area" style. Their set ups aren't based on anything else other than taking position where the most space is (really hard to explain without a picture) for example from centre bounces their defenders will stand half a step behind and a metre or so boundary side of their opponents - it's the part of the ground with more space. Heat maps from entries directly from centre bounces show that 70 odd percent of the time, the ball will enter into these zones ( think just deeper than the numbers on the 50) so they want that space. If it comes central they just try and crash it to ground and rebound.

Other than that, they just do what most would do at local level and guard relevance. If their opponent is owning more space by going too wide, they are no longer relevant so forget them. If they get the ball their options are limited.

He said the Swans have the best defense in the league bar none. Showed us some data on how they win possession back after an inside 50 entry. The largest % was simple competing. Highlighted Grundy (who I was pleased with because I've always thought he's the best key defender behind Rance) and Rampe. They just contest. Swans play a sag back defense. So if a forward becomes irrelevant or lost in traffic the defender sags back to create more numbers and contest.

Onto the dogs... basically play completely opposite style to the Swans but he thought we were one of the next in line for best defence (points against is irrelevant- they use % of scores off meaningful inside 50s) we play a 2, 2, 2 defense. So we pick out 2 deepest defenders and they remain regardless of matchups. When he said this my mind instantly thought of Biggs getting caught on the much bigger Stanley against Geelong. We then play a middle 2 and a high 2. Wood always plays as one of the middle 2. Allows him to intercept and run through half back/wing areas.

I asked if the reason we play the 2, 2, 2 regardless of match ups is because of Woods importance and he said one of the reasons is because it makes it harder for opposition clubs to orchestrate the match up they want on him. We are opposite to Sydney in that we sag up. So we press a lot harder and then drift back to intercept if required. Not worrying about match ups allows us to be flexible in that respect. Also means whoever goes to Wood or JJ or Bob previously would go to them in an area that's on our terms.

A few other things...
He liked us for the flag prior to injuries, now things if GWS get through they will run the Hawks off their feet.

Worked under a few different coaching styles. Neil Craig would rant and rave and talk about courage and guts and all that while Roos would calmly say "ok out ya go" just before a game.

They do one main session a week which taking out warm ups etc goes for only 25 solid minutes. They only do 5-6 different drills for the whole year. When under Roos he did circle work for the first 6 months he was at the Dees.

Mentioned a couple of other interesting things that I won't discuss here.

I'm probably forgetting a whole heap, buts that's about the gist of it
TiAn_ maddog37 Pugz89 BrunswickDog

Apologies if someone else asked and I didn't tag.

Last edited:
Was fascinating to see how games are coded and reviews had. We watched the footage that the coaches get - three views, telecast, a side view a little wider than telecast and behind the goals.

A lot was focused on the Saints obviously so I'll touch on that stuff before getting to the dogs. It was the week of the Swans game. Welsh basically said the club were treating it as win and we play finals (they obviously don't think North would win another game).

Geary is their Morris - directs and teaches as the game flows. Watching it, my option of him grew immensely - he's a damn fine player. The saints play a "own the largest area" style. Their set ups aren't based on anything else other than taking position where the most space is (really hard to explain without a picture) for example from centre bounces their defenders will stand half a step behind and a metre or so boundary side of their opponents - it's the part of the ground with more space. Heat maps from entries directly from centre bounces show that 70 odd percent of the time, the ball will enter into these zones ( think just deeper than the numbers on the 50) so they want that space. If it comes central they just try and crash it to ground and rebound.

Other than that, they just do what most would do at local level and guard relevance. If their opponent is owning more space by going too wide, they are no longer relevant so forget them. If they get the ball their options are limited.

He said the Swans have the best defense in the league bar none. Showed us some data on how they win possession back after an inside 50 entry. The largest % was simple competing. Highlighted Grundy (who I was pleased with because I've always thought he's the best key defender behind Rance) and Rampe. They just contest. Swans play a sag back defense. So if a forward becomes irrelevant or lost in traffic the defender sags back to create more numbers and contest.

Onto the dogs... basically play completely opposite style to the Swans but he thought we were one of the next in line for best defence (points against is irrelevant- they use % of scores off meaningful inside 50s) we play a 2, 2, 2 defense. So we pick out 2 deepest defenders and they remain regardless of matchups. When he said this my mind instantly thought of Biggs getting caught on the much bigger Stanley against Geelong. We then play a middle 2 and a high 2. Wood always plays as one of the middle 2. Allows him to intercept and run through half back/wing areas.

I asked if the reason we play the 2, 2, 2 regardless of match ups is because of Woods impotence and he said one of the reasons is because it makes it harder for opposition clubs to orchestrate the match up they want on him. We are opposite to Sydney in that we sag up. So we press a lot harder and then drift back to intercept if required. Not worrying about match ups allows us to be flexible in that respect. Also means whoever goes to Wood or JJ or Bob previously would go to them in an area that's on our terms.

A few other things...
He liked us for the flag prior to injuries, now things if GWS get through they will run the Hawks off their feet.

Worked under a few different coaching styles. Neil Craig would rant and rave and talk about courage and guts and all that while Roos would calmly say "ok out ya go" just before a game.

They do one main session a week which taking out warm ups etc goes for only 25 solid minutes. They only do 5-6 different drills for the whole year. When under Roos he did circle work for the first 6 months he was at the Dees.

Thanks mate. Really interesting. Cheers

How can Essendon be $11 with the team we have in???

They arnt that bad and it's the weakest team we have had in a long time.

I'm a little concerned we may be taking the piss and get bitten in the a$$

I asked if the reason we play the 2, 2, 2 regardless of match ups is because of Woods impotence and he said one of the reasons is because it makes it harder for opposition clubs to orchestrate the match up they want on him. We are opposite to Sydney in that we sag up. So we press a lot harder and then drift back to intercept if required. Not worrying about match ups allows us to be flexible in that respect. Also means whoever goes to Wood or JJ or Bob previously would go to them in an area that's on our terms.

A few other things...

Fascinating. Staggered they only do 25mins of drills though. I wonder if that is due to their age profile compared to say Hawks. You'd think that they'd be at risk of losing touch. Obviously a heavy focus on digital when it comes to development. Very interesting dude, cheers for sharing.

Some questions, if anyone wants to answer..

Obviously each team has their own shape and structures but how much are teams willing to manipulate it to counteract their opponent?

Is the reason Saints always err to the side with most space is so someone always has room to get defensive side for a relieving possession if it's required rather than being cornered into a pocket? (notice we always have an option out the back door for quick hands).

Apart from size, speed, power etc, is there anything else they'd look at when they're working on match ups they'd want?

If Walsh was to start at a new back line, would he tailor his style to the players available or teach the players how he wants? Like what kind of balance would it be?

Last edited:
How can Essendon be $11 with the team we have in???

They arnt that bad and it's the weakest team we have had in a long time.

I'm a little concerned we may be taking the piss and get bitten in the a$$

I still think we win but I've got money on the dogs 1-39 on the fifth leg of my multi. I don't think it'll be a comfy win.

It's definitely the weakest team we've picked in a long time.

A few other things...

Great post. Very interesting.

And the reference to Wood's impotence (I think you meant importance) was absolute gold. I genuinely laughed out loud.

Can't think of a game this year that hasn't been talked about as "a danger game" for one reason or another.

Seriously, we are playing the nominal wooden spooners who have won only two games for the year. We had won 14 the last time I checked.

We have incentive enough - a home final - so we should win it comfortably, even without Stringer and a raft of other injured players. All year this board has talked about Rd 22 as our opportunity to improve percentage ... and now I'm hearing it's a danger game?

No game is ever a certainty but if we lose this it will be the upset of the season.

We will get the 4 points. Next week we beat Freo and west coast will get smashed by Adelaide. We beat WC at the MCG, Libba returns THE WEEK after, Tom Boyd starts to kick six goals a game, assisted by Stringer who realises that being lazy is a bad policy and we get the Premiership cup. GO DOGS!!!!

Sorry but forgot to say that Roberts destroys Walker and Jong is BOG in the grand final.

A few other things...

Mate that's fascinating stuff, thanks for writing it up. Will be watching our defensive setup closely on the weekend.

Hope you can share more in the future :thumbsu:

I like McLean as a player but he is a cheat.

We lambast Thomas for the same things Toby does so why should we accept it even if he plays for us.

Yes he uses the rules allowed but I don't like it and like Thomas Shuey and others consider it cheating

He doesn't need to do it the kid can play I hope they get it out of his game
He plays by the rules. He did not create them. Therefore, logically he is not a cheat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fascinating. Staggered they only do 25mins of drills though. I wonder if that is due to their age profile compared to say Hawks. You'd think that they'd be at risk of losing touch. Obviously a heavy focus on digital when it comes to development. Very interesting dude, cheers for sharing.

Some questions, if anyone wants to answer..

Obviously each team has their own shape and structures but how much are teams willing to manipulate it to counteract their opponent?

Is the reason Saints always err to the side with most space is so someone always has room to get defensive side for a relieving possession if it's required rather than being cornered into a pocket? (notice we always have an option out the back door for quick hands).

Apart from size, speed, power etc, is there anything else they'd look at when they're working on match ups they'd want?

If Walsh was to start at a new back line, would he tailor his style to the players available or teach the players how he wants? Like what kind of balance would it be?

That last question is an interesting one. It really depends on the senior coach. They have the final say on game style etc.

Walsh sets his own match ups and basically has free reign, Richardson allows him that, some coaches veto moves. That said his back line going in will consist of 7 players. He will have line meetings etc with those 7. Kind of interesting when you consider we've had 20 odd blokes play back this year.

He plays by the rules. He did not create them. Therefore, logically he is not a cheat.
True, but also if you look at a lot of these types of high tackles its more because of poor tackling technique. The tackles are high even before these players shrug or drop. The initial contact is high anyway, then it just gets worse from there. The player tacked is blamed when in fact most of the time is poor tackling to begin with. Alot of people don't see it that way, they don't watch things carefully enough or have pre conceived ideas of the players involved.

You grab a bloke with a firm tackle around the waste, it won't slip up.

You grab a bloke by the upper arm, trying to trap it, some players will make it slip and you give a free away.

Rather than whinging, players should improve their tackling techniques or at least modify it for certain players.

Dream results us to win our last 2. We finish 68 points

Crows beat WCE - WCE 64 points
North beat GWS GWS 64 points
Pies beat Hawks Hawks 68 points

We catch up 4% we are behind hawks At the moment we 105 points behind hawks in for against. So we need to win by an average of 53 points. Even a bit less will do as our against is lower than hawks and that works in our favour calculating %. Then a one point win by the pies would be enough.

Our prize would be a double chance against the swans up there. We have beaten them by a kick the last 2 games up there. Tough but better than a cut throat first final.

Pos Club P W L D % Pts
1 SYDSydney Swans 21 16 5 0 145.1 64
2 ADELAdelaide Crows 21 16 5 0 142.3 64
3 HAWHawthorn 21 16 5 0 119.7 64
4 GWSGWS Giants 21 15 6 0 142.5 60
5 GEELGeelong Cats 20 15 5 0 135.4 60
6 WCEWest Coast Eagles 21 15 6 0 129.5 60
7 WBWestern Bulldogs 20 14 6 0 115.3 56
8 NMFCNorth Melbourne 21 12 9 0 107.6 48

Rubbish

The rules are wrong and Thomas and Shiey rightfully get abused for their efforts.

I think McLean is worse than both of them.

You spend way to much time focusing on the negatives of our players at times MD. Chill out bro. Toby will learn the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back