Strategy Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to drop it and wish you guys well. Rode you home all finals last year and was rapt to see your lot win the flag.

Game I think will be won inside, especially midfield. Dogs stop our outside run and you'll win but if we get it out quickly I reckon we're a decent shout.

Looking forward to it.

You claim that dogs supporters can say whatever they like on their board just like essendon can on theirs.. yet you're having a whinge about content here. You cannot have it both ways especially with some of the comments on your own board about our premiership

Your flag is perfectly legitimate (if that's what you're getting at). Completely disagree with those that say otherwise. I cannot be held to account for the comments of other posters, especially when I don't agree with them.

Having a whinge? Yeah, nah. Just disagreeing. People can say whatever they like just as they have the right of reply/critique.

Best of luck on Sunday....to a degree, of course! :)

Can't agree with the multiple Essendon supporters saying that the game will be won in the midfield.

I think our midfield is better, and we'll almost certainly win the midfield battle.
I think with half our forward line out, including Stringer (who is so underrated as people continue to say he's "lost form" when he hasn't really), we won't be able to beat Essendon in a shootout.
That leaves one way that the game can be won or lost - how much to we stop Essendon's run from defence, their rebound, and transition ball movement, something that they do through the corridor more than most teams.

• Can we stop their ball winners out of defence?
  • Can we force them wide, to go diagonally, and not through the corridor (a more indirect route to goal?) - this has benefits by having more time to get players to block space in front of Daniher
  • Can we do it for a full 4 quarters? North with their youngsters didn't have the fitness/legs to play this style for the whole match. I'm backing in our more mature team to be able to do so.

Your flag is perfectly legitimate (if that's what you're getting at). Completely disagree with those that say otherwise. I cannot be held to account for the comments of other posters, especially when I don't agree with them.

Having a whinge? Yeah, nah. Just disagreeing. People can say whatever they like just as they have the right of reply/critique.

Best of luck on Sunday....to a degree, of course! :)

Cool. I then disagree with you.

You were having a whinge that we are "precious" because something was said that hurt your supporter's feelings

If Roberts doesn't play then the side won't have any flexibility, it will mean Wood has to play tall which takes away from his intercept marking and removes any possibility of him playing forward like he did last week before Morris got injured. I wouldn't mind seeing Wood tag Hurley, but most likely Hurley will be left to do whatever he pleases.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't really agree with that if we look back to last year v Eagles and Hawks in the finals bevo went with just hamling Morris and wood and often used Biggs playing taller too. I still think without roberts bevo will easily be able to throw the team around, plus given we don't play one on one and more of a zone defence we generally do not play set match ups like the final v Hawks last year hamling covered Rioli a lot while we had more undersized players on Gunston. There is also the ability to throw Roughead back and young in the ruck.

You were having a whinge that we are "precious" because something was said that hurt your supporter's feelings

images

I think bulldogs posters are a class act. I don't think the whole group is precious, just that one in particular who resorted to drug stuff after a dons poster made a reasonable but debatable comment. Disagreeing, as I have, isn't whinging but resorting to trash talk over a fair-minded comment with which one happens to disagree, as the dogs poster did, speaks volumes. Not sure where you get the notion that the Essendon poster in question had hurt feelings from.

I'll see myself out so the board can focus more on the game and less on our discussion. Good luck :thumbsu:

I think bulldogs posters are a class act. I don't think the whole group is precious, just that one in particular who resorted to drug stuff after a dons poster made a reasonable but debatable comment. Disagreeing, as I have, isn't whinging but resorting to trash talk over a fair-minded comment with which one happens to disagree, as the dogs poster did, speaks volumes. Not sure where you get the notion that the Essendon poster in question had hurt feelings from.

I'll see myself out so the board can focus more on the game and less on our discussion. Good luck :thumbsu:

Anyway, let's move on

If the Bombers win the stoppages and are clean with their hands they win easily. We will be chasing butt all day and look slow in comparison, so we have to - just have to - stop them getting their hands on the ball first. That's a whole team effort to suffocate and grind them down for all 4 quarters, and to somehow magically transition more efficiently to our forwards.

With our backs to wall, it'll be interesting to see if our players are up for the fight or if we really do need to start some serious thinking about next year.

Essendon were putrid against Adelaide and Melbourne, the first half of the Melbourne game was the worst half of footy I've seen for the year and they were ordinary against GWS who barely got out of second gear. It's hardly evidence of a side who lifts for big games, Essendon have just been your typical mid table team who's inconsistent throughout the season not a quality team who can lose focus occasionally.

But I have no confidence in the Bulldogs winning this week as the team hasn't played well at any stage this year and has only played one or two games with genuine intensity.

Yep Melbourne, Brisbane and Carlton were our worst performances for the year. Adelaide were honestly red hot in the first half. We simply had no answers for them. We definitely did much better in the second half so I don't think that was a terrible performance. Besides, we're a different team since then so we'll see how we go against them in 2 weeks time.

Yes we are definitely a middle of the road, inconsistent side and I never said that we were a good side. We do however play better against the better teams. GWS were too good for us because they are a better team. To lose by 16 points away is no shame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to drop it and wish you guys well. Rode you home all finals last year and was rapt to see your lot win the flag.

Game I think will be won inside, especially midfield. Dogs stop our outside run and you'll win but if we get it out quickly I reckon we're a decent shout.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks, but I just can't deal with fair and good natured Bombers fans, it's freaking me out.

Where's the arrogance? Where's the cockiness? Where's the sense of entitlement?

Please come back insufferable Bombers fans, I miss you.

tory and travis both in
Really disappointed Webb not given an opportunity. He must have already packed his bag and will become a very good player at another club. Club has really handled him poorly and is not consistent in rewarding players who perform in the 2nds.

I rate him higher than Dunkley, reason being Dunkelys atrocious footskills will prevent him from becoming a elite player while Webb limitations can be addressed and his elite left foot skills and goal kicking ability is quite a rare attribute these days in particular at a club with so many players still on the list who cannot hit the side of a barn.

Top 12 sides (including ANZAC day):

Hawthorn - W +25
Adelaide - L -65
Collingwood (ANZAC day) - W +18
Melbourne - L -38
Geelong - W +17
West Coast - W +61
Richmond - L -15
GWS - L -16
Port - W +70
Sydney - L -1
St Kilda - W +61

Outside of the Melbourne game (one of our worst performance of the year) and Adelaide (they were red hot), we did well.

Compare that to our record against bottom teams:

Brisbane - W (nearly lost) +27
Carlton - L -15
Fremantle - L -37
Brisbane - L -8
Collingwood - W +37
North - W (bad performance) +27

Hardly a good performance there. Maybe the Collingwood game was good.

We do noticeably lift for big games, then go to crap against bottom teams

None of that says that Essendon lifts at all for big games, just that they're unpredictable.

Hi guys, sorry to intrude but I wanted to ask what the general feeling is with this game and how confident are you feeling?

I've hit the front if the footy tipping at the pub and now the pressure is on. This is the one game I'm unsure about!

Essendon probably deserve to be favourites on form but I just cant convince myself that the Dogs are going to roll over in a game that's probably going to decide the final spot in the 8.
Go for the dogs, mate. We are certainties. Essendon think they are s**t hot and we need something to prove desperately. Also, the Macumba is working.

Really disappointed Webb not given an opportunity. He must have already packed his bag and will become a very good player at another club. Club has really handled him poorly and is not consistent in rewarding players who perform in the 2nds.

I rate him higher than Dunkley, reason being Dunkelys atrocious footskills will prevent him from becoming a elite player while Webb limitations can be addressed and his elite left foot skills and goal kicking ability is quite a rare attribute these days in particular at a club with so many players still on the list who cannot hit the side of a barn.
If we lose on Sunday he will be in for the last 4 games - no doubt

I think the club decided to give honeychurch the extended make or break run.

In one respect it's a mistake. There will be very little interest in honey but on the other hand - it's the decent thing to do.

Webb will make it - with us or else where. And there are a few retirements this year. Every chance that's enough for Webb to stay.

Don't really agree with that if we look back to last year v Eagles and Hawks in the finals bevo went with just hamling Morris and wood and often used Biggs playing taller too. I still think without roberts bevo will easily be able to throw the team around, plus given we don't play one on one and more of a zone defence we generally do not play set match ups like the final v Hawks last year hamling covered Rioli a lot while we had more undersized players on Gunston. There is also the ability to throw Roughead back and young in the ruck.

A smaller backline relies on the midfield being dominate and a smaller backline has no real impact on the midfield. In the prelim and grand final Roberts came in and I doubt the team would have won the prelim if Suckling was still in. The bigger difference last year was the height in the forward line with Boyd, Cordy, Stringer and Dunkley down there which meant you didn't have smalls competing against talls.

A smaller backline relies on the midfield being dominate and a smaller backline has no real impact on the midfield. In the prelim and grand final Roberts came in and I doubt the team would have won the prelim if Suckling was still in. The bigger difference last year was the height in the forward line with Boyd, Cordy, Stringer and Dunkley down there which meant you didn't have smalls competing against talls.

our forward line still struggled in both those games. we were lucky that we dominated i50 that allowed us to kick a winning score.
the height wasnt a factor in the forward line, because we got smashed in the air

The only explanation I can think of regarding Webb is both the clubs and players mind has been made up that he wont be there beyond 2017.

His form in the 2nds has warranted a recall.

Absolute crap ...

Perfect for English to come in... Rough could have gone back if need be...

Its a bad message we are sending when both Cloke and Dixon step over Webb and English...when clearly both have not performed.

live by the sword and die by it.. hope I am wrong... we needed speed and put them in??

Can't agree with the multiple Essendon supporters saying that the game will be won in the midfield.

I think our midfield is better, and we'll almost certainly win the midfield battle.
I think with half our forward line out, including Stringer (who is so underrated as people continue to say he's "lost form" when he hasn't really), we won't be able to beat Essendon in a shootout.
That leaves one way that the game can be won or lost - how much to we stop Essendon's run from defence, their rebound, and transition ball movement, something that they do through the corridor more than most teams.

• Can we stop their ball winners out of defence?
  • Can we force them wide, to go diagonally, and not through the corridor (a more indirect route to goal?) - this has benefits by having more time to get players to block space in front of Daniher
  • Can we do it for a full 4 quarters? North with their youngsters didn't have the fitness/legs to play this style for the whole match. I'm backing in our more mature team to be able to do so.

Lol Jake Stringer hasn't lost form??

Dear god there are no words for this comment and how wrong it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back