Preview Changes vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Leave our best forward of 2018 in the SANFL then and continue to give games to a bloke with 9 times more career games experience but one third of the goal average?
If you recover from all the huffing and puffing on this you'd recall I was in favour of dropping a tall back depending on match-ups with the Hawks.

God NO. He was average before injury.

He definitely needs two years in the SANFL to find form and fitness

Like Jonas was rubbish and finished two years ago?

Like Hombsch was finished last year?

Just because he's not spectacular doesn't mean he's average.

Let's be honest, big Charlie is struggling in front of the sticks and taking marks atm, could be the way to go.

It’s quite likely that Dixon’s form slump is because he has been playing ruck, and no where near goals much at all. The last thing we should be doing is continuing to play him lots of ruck time or milling about on the wings. Plant him inside 50 or leading up around chf. At the moment we seem to be using Dixon as a decoy to empty out the forward line for gray x 2 and Neade. That might work now but come finals it will come undone.

I put that wrong may be. I don't like his skills atm.

Meh. Skills aren’t great but he doesn’t often hurt us. Tends to play within his skill set for the mostl part. As opposed to boak who gets 80m outside the contest and burns an easy opportunity where we get hurt the other way.

I'd like to see Marshall come back into the side after an SANFL game during the AFL bye.

Who would be the unlucky guy if that happened?

Out Rotate one of Boak, Ebert, SPray and Motlop
In Marshall

It’s quite likely that Dixon’s form slump is because he has been playing ruck, and no where near goals much at all. The last thing we should be doing is continuing to play him lots of ruck time or milling about on the wings. Plant him inside 50 or leading up around chf.

Meh. Skills aren’t great but he doesn’t often hurt us. Tends to play within his skill set for the mostl part. As opposed to boak who gets 80m outside the contest and burns an easy opportunity where we get hurt the other way.

The bad patch for us was when Ryder was out, this time we need a rock solid plan B. May as well get Dixon used to the idea. When he was rucking he did very well. I don't want to see Howard in there or Westhoff, our structures will suffer again.

Like Hombsch was finished last year?

Just because he's not spectacular doesn't mean he's average.
Broadbent is coming off a significant absence due to injury, before which his form was poor to average. Our half back flankers are doing well enough for us to not need to rush him back to the AFL side. Just bring him back through the Sanfl and let him earn his spot.

The bad patch for us was when Ryder was out, this time we need a rock solid plan B. May as well get Dixon used to the idea. When he was rucking he did very well. I don't want to see Howard in there or Westhoff, our structures will suffer again.

or just play a ruck and not disrupt Dixon's form

Broadbent is coming off a significant absence due to injury, before which his form was poor to average. Our half back flankers are doing well enough for us to not need to rush him back to the AFL side. Just bring him back through the Sanfl and let him earn his spot.

Who said anything about rushing him back? I said there’s a spot for him if he’s playing well enough.

Marshall isn’t at the level to be a straight inclusion back to the AFL side, give him a month back in the SANFL to find some good form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I am. Given what he has been through though I think we need to work him back the same way as if he has had a decent spell out with injury.

Nobody seems to acknowledge that TJ had a serious quad issue in 2015 (or 2016), he had the turning arc of the titanic.

It’s not Neade bashing when people are pointing out Neade is underperforming, with stats to back it up.
Simplistic selective stats. Neade will always be a low possession type player, but that doesn’t mean he can’t have an impact. He was very good in the showdown, bad against West Coast (and by all reports would’ve been dropped for AJ had he not been injured), and reasonable against Gold Coast. He had 7 score involvements yesterday (third best on ground), and 25 pressure acts (third best on ground). The main knock on his game was missing his shots, but he wasn’t alone there.

I think we’re a better structured team with one of Neade or AJ in the team, and we need to keep one in even when Marshall returns. I’m staggered at how often the prevailing wisdom on big footy seems to be only tall players contribute to structure, and ignore the benefits someone like Neade brings based on his height.

If Marshall is available, he comes in for Neade. This isn't about Neade's form, this is about having a better player in the selected 22. Neade would probably also make way for AJ at the moment. Just the way it is.

Simplistic selective stats. Neade will always be a low possession type player, but that doesn’t mean he can’t have an impact. He was very good in the showdown, bad against West Coast (and by all reports would’ve been dropped for AJ had he not been injured), and reasonable against Gold Coast. He had 7 score involvements yesterday (third best on ground), and 25 pressure acts (third best on ground). The main knock on his game was missing his shots, but he wasn’t alone there.

I think we’re a better structured team with one of Neade or AJ in the team, and we need to keep one in even when Marshall returns. I’m staggered at how often the prevailing wisdom on big footy seems to be only tall players contribute to structure, and ignore the benefits someone like Neade brings based on his height.

I included goals inside 50s goal assists and tackles in those ‘selective stats’. If he isn’t competitive in those areas as a forward how much slack are we cutting him?

I wasn’t saying he should be sent packing.

I’ve simply said numerous times he is a 25-30 list player who is and should be under scrutiny every week he doesn’t have a big performance.

Criticising people who list him as one of our first outs is close enough to saying he has solidified position in our 22. That is remarkably low standard.

I haven’t called for him to be dropped this week (because I haven’t seen aj yet today or know Marshall’s availability) but Neade will always be one of my first options until he performs consistently and with results that equal more than a bit of pressure on the opposition that I can be convinced does more than slightly inconveniencing them if they even know he exists.

I included goals inside 50s goal assists and tackles in those ‘selective stats’. If he isn’t competitive in those areas as a forward how much slack are we cutting him?

I wasn’t saying he should be sent packing.

I’ve simply said numerous times he is a 25-30 list player who is and should be under scrutiny every week he doesn’t have a big performance.

Criticising people who list him as one of our first outs is close enough to saying he has solidified position in our 22. That is remarkably low standard.

I haven’t called for him to be dropped this week (because I haven’t seen aj yet today or know Marshall’s availability) but Neade will always be one of my first options until he performs consistently and with results that equal more than a bit of pressure on the opposition that I can be convinced does more than slightly inconveniencing them if they even know he exists.
I agree with you that he is a fringe player and not an automatic selection, and I think he needs to get back to nailing his chances to cement his place in the side.

My main gripe is that I routinely see his name as an automatic out regardless of his game, often based on low disposal numbers and goals (hence my stats comment). I also think goal assists are a poor measure for a forward. For instance, in the showdown Neade was only given 1, despite being key to many of our goals (eg, tackle that caused the turnover for Grays fifth goal).

I also think if he don’t play him (or AJ) we lose
a key role we rely on.

Neade should be playing wing/half forward.

I'm sorry that I think a player can go to another level. I'm not advocating dropping him at all. He is very much a permanent fixture in the middle and IMO will be for the next 10 years.
I agree wines has another level or 2... we see glimpses of it... but not there yet..

I agree with you that he is a fringe player and not an automatic selection, and I think he needs to get back to nailing his chances to cement his place in the side.

My main gripe is that I routinely see his name as an automatic out regardless of his game, often based on low disposal numbers and goals (hence my stats comment). I also think goal assists are a poor measure for a forward. For instance, in the showdown Neade was only given 1, despite being key to many of our goals (eg, tackle that caused the turnover for Grays fifth goal).

I also think if he don’t play him (or AJ) we lose
a key role we rely on.

I agree you have to match eye test next to any stats.

Still my eyes tell me a similar story. Missing or ineffective for large periods.

I’m not averse to keeping him in the side if no one is knocking on the door.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back