Roast Club Propaganda & Media Censoring

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know enough to comment on any family members currently employed, but I'm wondering if the comment made earlier that Jordan is paid by his father and not by the Club has any substance. It would put a completely different perspective on things.

I do agree we should be hiring passionate Port people - for me the epitome of that was Ben in membership, a real ambassador.

Just wondering if those that have a problem with Jordan Hinkley also have a problem with Erin Phillips sister Rachel working at the club? I don't - but if you're sensitve to any family members being employed by the club she should get the chop immediately shouldn't she? What about Kara Fantasia do you have a problem with her as well? Or is it solely Hinkleys that you have a problem with?

The Port Adelaide Football Club has always presented itself as a family club. I've always expected to see Eberts, Williams, Obsts, Burgoynes, Phillips etc etc around the club - that's one of the things I love about our club.

For me it's solely Hinkleys. 1 would be too many.

Isn't Jordan under the employ of Ken anyway? Ken pays Jordan's salary out of his own, and the fact the club allows this is the real issue.

If he studied, applied for the role and was successful, regardless of who his father is, good on him. But the fact that he has this job purely because his dad pays his wages is a blight on club management.

the club wants to run as skint as possible and have as few elite minds around the club as possible... ken has a son who "knows computer stuff" because he is like 20.... it's actually a very easy decision. what did you want the club to scour the country for the best possible person for that role? this current regime? please

Haha someone has read this from the club and dumped it as a news item dated December 3 2019.

Look at the URL. I have split it so you can see it rather than BF just automate the link.

Official AFL Website of the Port Adelaide Football Club news/471507/club-staff

Look at the URL of the last 3 new stories on the club website.

Official AFL Website of the Port Adelaide Football Club news/1128801/injury-report-bonner-progressing-towards-return

Official AFL Website of the Port Adelaide Football Club news/1127951/ollie-wines-receives-fans-mg-mvp-nod-for-round-9

Official AFL Website of the Port Adelaide Football Club news/1126983/port-adelaide-unveils-lachie-jones-designed-indigenous-guernsey

And using our good mates at web archive you can see that only 4 weeks ago it was in the right section the Administration section of the CLUB dropdown button, and then a Staff link (see below). Next 2 links are Web Archive link to the Administration Page and then Staff page.

Official AFL Website of the Port Adelaide Football Club club/administration

See below for screenshots

Nothing under the Administration link under the CLUB dropdown button

At 11.54pm this is what that Administration link looks like. No Staff link there like normal. Why??

You don't remove a whole link and dump it under a news item. Begs the question, how accurate is this December 3 2019 10.21am news article link??

View attachment 1401969

View attachment 1401974

and the page before the above one that has the staff link.

View attachment 1401977
The STAFF link is this morning back where it used to be. Click on it and you get OUT OF BOUNDS, which was the case last week. Well done to REH for hunting it down. However, the mystery of just what the Club is playing at remains.

The link next to it shows BOARD. The list of Club directors is wrong. It is three months out of date, has not been changed after the AGM on 18 Feb 2022. Gavin is still a director, so is Andrew Day, Kevin O is still deputy chairman instead of Restas as announced by Koch, and Rob Snowdon has not yet written his c.v.

Pursuit of excellence, chasing greatness, whatever it’s called, it ain’t happening at the desk of whoever is responsible for keeping the Club website up to date and accurate.

Isn't Jordan under the employ of Ken anyway? Ken pays Jordan's salary out of his own
Sounds like a tax dodge so he can split his income 🤣

As mentioned by Simba above, question is whether Hinkley is open to bringing in the best around him and then secondly willing to take on any feedback.

If he is, where would his loyalties be if he found a better analyst?

From the outside looking in it feels to me he only wants yes men around him

That's one fine looking strawman you've made there, my dude.

Those family names have become synonymous with Port because the individuals have earnt or respect by their achievements and dedication. They have also been afforded little consideration in the pursuit of success.

Why are you ignoring my statement that any true Port supporter would hate nepotistic appointments regardless of surname?
I'm not sure how to prove my dedication as a "true supporter" I could give you my supporters resume over 40 years, two shanghai trips, 6 AFL memberships (4 now teen/young adult kids who I still fork out for) and a bum imprint on the asphalt steps at Alberton but it's all irrelevant when it comes to how we hire staff. Like I've said, I don't mind seeing familiar names on the staff list as long as they're passionate Port supporters and are qualified to do the job. Fos Williams was once seen as an outsider when he arrived at the club and he had many of his family members involved in the club and his kids grew up feeling like they were a part of the club. That's how we get those magical moments of listening to people talk about what Alberton means to them. As a parent, a member of the club and someone who has recruited staff I can see exactly how someone could move from being a volunteer while at school then going to university to study sports management and continuing to volunteer hoping to get a paid gig as a junior analyst, just on that you know that a junior analyst is basically a low paid admin person right? It's not like he's got a gig coaching the midfield he's collecting stats and putting info together. I can also as an adult be objective about my feelings about our current coaching staff and the people who work on the periphery. I'm not going to bag anyone's kids whether it be Greg Phillips, Russell Ebert's, Mathew Richardson's or Ken Hinkley's for wanting to be a part of the club and get a job there. Honestly if I could find a way to work there I would.

I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before but it remains unanswered. What qualifications does Jordan Hinkley have to hold the position of Football Analyst? It's a fair question.

Football Analyst is just a title. I'm pretty sure all he does is collate stats and cut video footage at the request of various coaches. It really is a storm in a teacup.

People are acting like he's making game day match up decisions or running our midfield setups. He's not. He's a data collection person. Are we really going to get upset over that?

If we see him as our midfield coach then i'll get upset.

Great question. There has been at least one debate on nepotism here already. The one I remember was even on Jordan Hinkley.

Just to see how long this saga has been carrying on, that conversation happened on December 2018. It is at the Darren Cahill - New Board Member thread. HinkleysHeroes started it, RussellEbertHandball and I took it over defending opposite views, and Tibbs added his two cents.

Here, it is, in full:

I repeat my point. If the person in the position is qualified, then, calling it "nepotism" just because there's family or friendship ties is unfair.

In this case, I have no idea whether Jordan Hinkley is qualified. He may well be. People are questioning his hiring because they mistrust his father; which is fair. Do people want to talk about it again? If so, the reply to such a question doesn't need to go further than one on any other hiring.

Does Jordan have the minimum qualification to the position? Or, since he's been working for a while now, is he doing what would be minimally expected of someone in his position? If the answer is positive, then his hiring would be justified, and the accusation of nepotism would be proved false.

Yet, people could still question whether it was the best hiring. However, that's an entire new discussion. For starters, they would need to bring better alternatives to the table. From then, the conversation would go on.

The same applies to Rachel Phillips.
Haha I went back and read that thread, but never gave you a fuller answer to the history of the word.

In Italian nipote = nephew. In Latin nepotem = nephew.

The Popes would give their illegitimate children jobs in the vatican, mainly sons, and he would introduce them as his nipote / nepotem. So would senior cardinals and other important clerics in Rome and other major church centres. That is where nepotism comes from.

Probably the most famous example was Pope Alexander VI the Spanish Pope who came from a very rich family in Spain. His uncle had been Pope between 1454 and 1458, the first ever Spanish Pope, and Rodrigo de Borja or Italian spelling Borgia was Pope between 1494 and 1503.

Borja had 5 illegitimate sons by 2 woman, the last 4 by his long time mistress, before he became Pope, but after he was ordained a cardinal. Supposedly whilst he was Pope he had an long affair with a 15 year old girl, when it started.

He is the Pope that split South America along the Tordesillas meridian which said the Portuguese could own anything to the east of the line and the Spanish can own lands to the west of it. Some treaty later adjusted the boundaries, but its the basic reason why Brazil is Portuguese speaking and rest of South America Spanish speaking.

In the biggest case of nepotism he made his 3rd son, sorry nipote/nepotem Cesare, a bishop at the age of 15 and a cardinal at the age of 18. Cesare wanted to be in charge of the Papal forces, but his oldest brother, Giovanni was appointed Captain General of the Church — the supreme commander of the Papal States’ armed forces, by Pope Alexander. Giovanni's mother wasn't Cesare's mother. Giovanni was killed in mysterious circumstances and Cesare took over the armed forces, titles and wealth and riches of his half brother. Cesare was screwing Giovanni's wife before he was killed, shared her with another brother and had around a dozen illegitimate children from various women.

Pope Alexander had commissioned Leonardo da Vinci to paint, make sculptures and design buildings for the church. He became friendly with Leonardo, as did Cesare and Leonardo, and its believed that Pope Alexander commissioned Leonardo to produce images of Christ based on Cesare and Leonardo agreed because of the friendship with both Borjas.

So when you hear ex test cricket great West Indian Michael Holding break down and talk about Black Lives Matter in 2020 and ask why does Christ have pale skin and blue eyes ( the early images Leonardo painted aren't blue but are greeny brown), when the people of what is now the modern day Israel, Syria, Jordan etc were darker skinned, you now know the answer.

Niccolo Machiavelli’s famous book The Prince, advising would be dictators and tyrants how to become one, was supposedly based on Cesare Borja.

I don't think this level of nepotism is going on at the PAFC. :)

Last edited:
People are acting like he's making game day match up decisions or running our midfield setups. He's not. He's a data collection person. Are we really going to get upset over that?

Just wait til he gets named at full forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is the Pope that split South America along the Tordesillas meridian which said the Portuguese could own anything to the east of the line and the Spanish owes land to the left of it. Some treaty later adjusted the boundaries, but its the basic reason why Brazil is Portuguese speaking and rest of South America Spanish speaking.

A holy man, indeed! Graças a Deus!!

the club wants to run as skint as possible and have as few elite minds around the club as possible... ken has a son who "knows computer stuff" because he is like 20.... it's actually a very easy decision. what did you want the club to scour the country for the best possible person for that role? this current regime? please
I wouldn't call Ken's pay packet skint, in fact it's rather generous considering he was not an AFL coach when we first employed him and his results should reflect other wise.

Probably another instance of Koch and the board putting the cart before the horse.

Last edited:

Sit down, Macca.

He is the senior coach’s son. His mere presence makes the other coaches toey.

It’s unprofessional and nothing to be proud of nor to gloss over just because it’s a junior position.

People are looking at any excuse to melt.

It's a nothing role, yet people are acting like he's Tom Browne

Nothing role or not, you need to ask would he have been hired in the position if his dad wasnt the coach and would the position exist if his dad wasnt the coach. If you cant answer yes to both then its a bad hire and a bad look.

To part 2 - yes. Each club has always had multiple stats guys, vision guys, especially on match days and at training.

To part 1 - quite possibly yes. You dont need a degree to be able to cut champion data vision, print out stats sheets at 1/4 time etc

Sit down, Macca.

He is the senior coach’s son. His mere presence makes the other coaches toey.

It’s unprofessional and nothing to be proud of nor to gloss over just because it’s a junior position.
How do I come to this conclusion? A mix of 1) commonsense, 2) inside info and 3) personal Club experience.

The chairman’s daughter, Sam, was living in HK when the China venture started. We worked together on events, starting with the first PAFC International Business Luncheon at the HK Football Club in May 2014. I got on well with Sam, who thankfully took after her mother more than her father, yet I was always mindful she was the chairman’s daughter.

When the so-called PAFC China Advisory Group was set up in HK after Andrew Hunter was recruited in 2015, Sam was appointed as a member and rightly so. I was nominally a member, too, though I made it clear I preferred to act on my own as a strategist, the group being more of a working unit than advisory in my opinion.

KT passed through HK on his way to Shanghai regularly. One night he stayed over and invited the CAG to dinner in SoHo (south of Hollywood Road). I declined to attend, knowing that after a beer or three I’d be speaking my mind to KT and therein would lie the risk of something I honestly put to the CEO being relayed by Sam back to her father. In fact I thought KT would be staying to the following afternoon and I’d be able to talk in private with him in the morning. But his flight to Shanghai was brought forward to early morning and I missed the chance for another one-on-one with him, all because of wariness in the presence of the chairman’s daughter.

It’s human nature for the line coaches and support staff to be equally wary within earshot of the senior coach’s son and hold back on their honest advice and opinions. Perhaps Schoey was the exception and where is he now?

As for me, I eventually got sacked by the chairman for expressing my views via means other than his daughter.

To part 2 - yes. Each club has always had multiple stats guys, vision guys, especially on match days and at training.

To part 1 - quite possibly yes. You dont need a degree to be able to cut champion data vision, print out stats sheets at 1/4 time etc
Not convinced we would have gone out of our way to recruit Kenneth Hinkleys son to the role if Kenneth Hinkley was sunning himself on the Gold Coast still and had not been the Port Adelaide coach. But who knows I guess.

Not convinced we would have gone out of our way to recruit Kenneth Hinkleys son to the role if Kenneth Hinkley was sunning himself on the Gold Coast still and had not been the Port Adelaide coach. But who knows I guess.

The point is anyone can do the job. You arent scouring the nation to find someone who essentially knows how to use Apple Movie Maker or who can press Print on a word document at 1/4 time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back