Clubs based at the Dome are DOOMED.

Remove this Banner Ad

DDC City West

Senior List
Mar 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda

Ever since we moved to Telstra Dome, our club has been savaged by injuries. It is so heartbreaking knowing that we would have won the flag last year if it wasn’t for the continual injuries to our playing list. What is even more upsetting is the fact we played Sydney in the Prelim who had made only 1 forced change in 10 weeks, and then went on to win the flag.

I applaud Grant Thomas for making changes to the fitness staff and upgrading the playing surface at Moorabbin. Unfortunately, this is not the problem. Just have a look at Essendon and the Western Bulldogs over the last few years. They are in the same boat.

If St.kilda are ever going to fulfil their potential and win a flag, we need to leave the Dome and base OUR CLUB at the MCG right NOW!!!!!. We can not afford to wait until the end of the current agreement, (end of 2007), by then it will be too late.

The Telstra Dome is a fantastic venue for spectators, however everything else about the stadium is crap. My reasons are below.

That stupid roof should never be closed during day matches, only at night and that’s a maybe. Finals matches do not have a roof on them.

The finals are played at the MCG, including the Grand Final.

The capacity in theory is 53,000, but we never get that many. When we have a potentially big game coming up, the AFL make it a fully ticketed game because they know that if they don’t there will be mayhem at the gate with people not being able to get in before half time. This in turn causes some people to not bother coming and when it is fully ticketed, you rarely get over 50,000. Not to mention the spectators are slugged a booking fee.

Then there is the straight out lie that we will switch big games to the MCG, (refer to article in THE AGE last week titled “AFL's 'best-fit' sham”. There is so much involved in achieving that, the Saints have never attempted to do so. It’s too hard.

Our agreement with Telstra Dome is not as lucrative as what Essendon’s is. Why should we have to put up with this scenario?

When Telstra Dome was trying to lure us there they said the break even crowd figure was about 25,000. It’s more like 35,000…….hello.

Injuries, which I have spoken about above.

We are not cursed by injury, and we do not have injury prone players, (Kosi excepted). Unfortunately, the powers that be back in the late 1990’s chose Telstra Dome and not the MCG.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming anyone. I just want to see a mistake made close to a decade ago rectified/corrected. I fear that if it is not corrected NOW, later will be too late.

I have also e-mailed the above to the club. Will they take any notice??

Your thoughts please.

By the way, could someone post this over at SAINTSATIONAL for me. I have been banned.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i am so over telstra dome its not funny

MCG is the best place to play footy (in terms of playing surface)

Totally agree.

DDC City West said:
Ever since we moved to Telstra Dome, our club has been savaged by injuries.
Just have a look at Essendon and the Western Bulldogs over the last few years. They are in the same boat.

The Bulldogs injuries have mostly not happened @ TD

A varying range of Kardinia Park, TD, MCG and breakdowns at training have crueled their list over the last 2 years.

Nothing to do with their tenancy at Spencer Street at all.

If you look at the injuries we've received I'm not sure that you can attribute many of those to the surface.

Kosi suffered a fractured skull in a head clash with Giansiracusa, Hamill hurt his knee in a collision with Steven Johnson, Thommo got crashed into by Johnstone in the opening minute against Melbourne, X and Raph are both susceptible to soft tissue injuries, etc.

I would like to know what we've done wrong though.

We've spent a small fortune on resurfacing Moorabbin and replacing last years fitness department with the supposed best fitness staff around.

Is it just bad luck? Surely we're due for a change of luck soon.

That's fine understudy, thanks for that.

Also, I have posted this on Saintsational. They finally let me back on.:)

meltiger said:
The Bulldogs injuries have mostly not happened @ TD

A varying range of Kardinia Park, TD, MCG and breakdowns at training have crueled their list over the last 2 years.

Nothing to do with their tenancy at Spencer Street at all.
However playing on the surface starts it off, ie softening muscle joining and such.

sainter said:
If you look at the injuries we've received I'm not sure that you can attribute many of those to the surface.

Kosi suffered a fractured skull in a head clash with Giansiracusa, Hamill hurt his knee in a collision with Steven Johnson, Thommo got crashed into by Johnstone in the opening minute against Melbourne, X and Raph are both susceptible to soft tissue injuries, etc.

I would like to know what we've done wrong though.

We've spent a small fortune on resurfacing Moorabbin and replacing last years fitness department with the supposed best fitness staff around.

Is it just bad luck? Surely we're due for a change of luck soon.
Yeah those injuries weren't so much because of the surface but the increase in soft tissue injuries are. ie Harvs, Hamill, Penny + Goose, Jones last year, fisher etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

evertonfc said:
Essendon's results from 2000, the first year at the Dome.

21 wins + 3 finals (inc GF).
1 loss.

?

Yes, but if the theory is that Docklands is causing more soft tissue injuries, then it would be as a result of prolonged wear and tear. So you expect the impact of playing there for one year to be much lower than the impact of playing there for seven years.

Guys look at it realistically, the players that get injured are constantly injured. Stop finding excuses for our poor form, the only excuse that can be used is injuries...but that doens't exclude us.
It is tough without 3 of our best players, but unfortunately thats what its like so its time to move on and stop blaming the Ground.
Were not the only ground to play on the Dome, which i think is an excellent ground. The players have no one to blame but themselves

I don't believe that you are a St.kilda supporter messiah. You are a troll and should be banned.

the_messiah said:
Guys look at it realistically, the players that get injured are constantly injured. Stop finding excuses for our poor form, the only excuse that can be used is injuries...but that doens't exclude us.
It is tough without 3 of our best players, but unfortunately thats what its like so its time to move on and stop blaming the Ground.
Were not the only ground to play on the Dome, which i think is an excellent ground. The players have no one to blame but themselves

I think the ground is probably a worry. You only need to look at it to know it's the worst surface in the AFL. St Kilda do have a lot of soft tissue injuries.

However I wouldn't say it's the difference between two flags and two lost prelims. I'd say that's got more to do with an overrated list (which is still quite good) and poor list management. Thomas played injured players in that prelim last year, and they didn't have the legs to run with us in the last quarter. Now, injuries are unlucky but the fact is they were all judged fit to play before that game. That's the selection committee's fault. Noone else's. We also had injured players - three or four players carried broken bones into the GF - but our fitness last season has been underrated... the players were so well prepared they were able to play through the pain.

The list management issue is worse this year. You're looking at maybe having Harvey, Gehrig, Thompson, Peckett and Powell all retire at the end of the year. On top of that, you've held on to some rubbish players like McGough, Brooks, Murray and Fiora. The best 15 players are excellent but you really do fall away quicker than most clubs in finals contention. So of course injuries are going to hurt when they happen.

I'm not saying injuries cost us 2 flags. Injuries cost us the flag last year, that I have no doubt, and they are stuffing up our season again this year. Look at the Swans FFS. They have had no injuries now for 2 years.

I agree, we may not have the best list, but we have the best core of 12 players. We have never been able to keep them on the park. If we could have done that last year, we would have won the flag IMO.

All clubs say they pull up 10% worse off at TD. What would that accumulate to after being based there for 7 years?:eek: :eek:

I'll tell you, Penny retiring at the age of 24, and a whole host of soft tissue injuries that has recked our playing list as well as the confidence of our players.:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Does the club really care what the supporters think? I would have thought that if a Social Club member with a reserved seat sends them an e-mail, they would at least send some sort of reply.:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back