Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Collingwood club focus thread
Jaidyn Stephenson, what’s he worth?

- Contracted for another year
- 3rd year player coming off glandular fever in the pre-season but now not getting a game
- 38 goals and rising star in his first year
- originally pick 5

Has Dayne Beams retired or is he still out with mental illness?

Judging by his painting exploits pretty sure he will retire once they sort out his payout.

No doubt but we need to do more then just that. We really are when we are fit a tall forward away from being a premiership contender. McDonald will be a great player and a great get but we also need to address the immediate term

Ben Brown is the obvious one I see.

Especially with the family links.

If you keep losing I daresay your pick might end up fair value, you would also still have McInnes to draft as a young kid with later picks.

It's a bit of a win/win and not to dissimilar to the Polec/Tarryn Thomas scenario from a few years ago.

Last edited:
Jaidyn Stephenson, what’s he worth?

- Contracted for another year
- 3rd year player coming off glandular fever in the pre-season but now not getting a game
- 38 goals and rising star in his first year
- originally pick 5
Worth a first rounder but he will come good as he hasn't recovered from glandular fever losing 10 kilo and trying to put it back on with no pre-season his family/friends say. Your biggest problem with your forward line players not performing is you're coachs game plan is to go slower like in 2017 before you're review. Don't be to hard on stephenson as he will be good next year with a presason, more muscle mass and a faster ball movement game plan.

Under no circumstances should the Pies trade their first round pick for a 28 year old KPF in Ben Brown whom arguably has peaked as a player.

They need to try get some quality kids in ASAP, they may have (just) one legit flag push left in them in 2021, but then, there is the real chance of a Crows/Hawks sudden drop off.

Also I am not sure if Ben Brown would have the stones (mentally) to cope playing with a club the size of The Pies and The massive fan expectation that comes with it.

Ben Brown is the obvious one I see.

Especially with the family links.

If you keep losing I daresay your pick might end up fair value, you would also still have McInnes to draft as a young kid with later picks.

It's a bit of a win/win and not to dissimilar to the Polec/Tarryn Thomas scenario from a few years ago.
Ideally McDonald gets to our pick then McInnies gets bid on after that so we can have both

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunne
Beams
Broomhead
Thomas
Varco
Max Lynch
Ben Reid
Appleby
Sharenburg
Mayne
Keane
Magden
Cameron
Sier
Wills

That’s a lot of players with not much upside. Trade draft any room to keep these?

Under no circumstances should the Pies trade their first round pick for a 28 year old KPF in Ben Brown whom arguably has peaked as a player.

They need to try get some quality kids in ASAP, they may have (just) one legit flag push left in them in 2021, but then, there is the real chance of a Crows/Hawks sudden drop off.

Also I am not sure if Ben Brown would have the stones (mentally) to cope playing with a club the size of The Pies and The massive fan expectation that comes with it.
“Under no circumstances“, that seems way over the top.

Collingwood have dibs on Reef Mcinnis as a 192cm midfield academy prospect, so chances are Collingwood will trade away their first pick anyway and collect points later in the draft.

Why not take that risk? Getting a proven key forward(this squads major weakness), along with a #20-#25 ranked prospect.

Collingwood have dibs on Reef Mcinnis as a 192cm midfield academy prospect, so chances are Collingwood will trade away their first pick anyway and collect points later in the draft.

Why not take that risk? Getting a proven key forward(this squads major weakness), along with a #20-#25 ranked prospect.

Well if you get a 2nd round pick from North (or thereabouts) it might be worth doing, although I do think the Pies need to start hitting the draft hard with kids from this post season onwards.

As TradeDraft says, Tex Walker could be a better/cheaper option (I don't think he is cooked at all tbh, he has been getting dogshit delivery from his mids)

Also Salary Cap has to be an issue, it seems Ben Brown is looking for a fairly big final last major contract at 28 (wants 3 Mil over 4 years apparently)

Is that the type of coin you guys should be throwing around, given u still have to re sign De Goey and Moore ?

I’d argue that we’ve gotten some quality kids in the last couple of years in Stephenson and IQ and will add McInness and Daicos in the next two drafts, but you’re right in saying we shouldn’t trade a first for Brown. As much as North posters try to talk him up, most of them seem awfully keen to offload him to us. Now he might turn it around and have another couple of good years, but those rumours about his knees being shot are worrying and where there’s smoke there’s usually fire. We’d be far better served trying to grab a younger moneyball type like Wright or Finlayson to play alongside Kelly in 2021 and retain our first pick. We’d also be well served to try to do a pick swap with the dogs given we’ll need to offload our 2021 first and they need to offload their 2020 1st. If we can manage to secure two first round prospects in addition to McInness, or alternatively, use those two picks to trade up the order, we’ll have done very well.

At this stage it’s looking like McInness may not attract a bid as early as expected so we might not have to trade away our first.

I’d argue that we’ve gotten some quality kids in the last couple of years in Stephenson and IQ and will add McInness and Daicos in the next two drafts, but you’re right in saying we shouldn’t trade a first for Brown. As much as North posters try to talk him up, most of them seem awfully keen to offload him to us. Now he might turn it around and have another couple of good years, but those rumours about his knees being shot are worrying and where there’s smoke there’s usually fire. We’d be far better served trying to grab a younger moneyball type like Wright or Finlayson to play alongside Kelly in 2021 and retain our first pick. We’d also be well served to try to do a pick swap with the dogs given we’ll need to offload our 2021 first and they need to offload their 2020 1st. If we can manage to secure two first round prospects in addition to McInness, or alternatively, use those two picks to trade up the order, we’ll have done very well.
Just to clarify on the bolded, I think you'd be hard pressed to find North fans genuinely keen to move Ben Brown on. He's our best and most marketable player.

The trade talk is more of a reaction to this season realizing we are in for a long rebuild, so does Ben fit in to a 3-5 year rebuild plan.

As for the knee, it's been confirmed that it's only a strain, however there is zero point in rushing Ben out for the last few games of a lost season. Before that injury he has been one of the most durable players in the comp.

Collingwood makes the most sense as a trade partner, due to the gaping KPF hole on your list, plus a core of aging stars that could potentially nab a flag over the next 2 seasons.

I do like the idea of swapping your 2021 1st for the dogs 2020 1st though. Gives you the option to bundle 2x mid-1st picks up to get around pick #5, where you might be in range for Thilthorpe if he slides.

Dunne
Beams
Broomhead

Thomas
Varco
Max Lynch
Ben Reid
Appleby
Sharenburg
Mayne

Keane
Magden
Cameron
Sier
Wills

That’s a lot of players with not much upside. Trade draft any room to keep these?

No wonder the Pies have injuries every year with this list , I struggle to keep 5 of that list next year if i was the list manager ,That list really needs a rebuild

In NBA Terms, they need to blow up their list and start the long painful rebuild process.

Their list is cooked, and all their injuries this season have exposed the Pies lack of Depth.

They should re-sign DeGoey and Moore, than have a fire sale and try get as many draft picks as they can.

They are very close to falling off a cliff like The Crows and Hawks. Lack of quality young players coming through is a massive concern.
Daicos and Quaynor look ok

Well if you get a 2nd round pick from North (or thereabouts) it might be worth doing, although I do think the Pies need to start hitting the draft hard with kids from this post season onwards.

As TradeDraft says, Tex Walker could be a better/cheaper option (I don't think he is cooked at all tbh, he has been getting dogshit delivery from his mids)

Also Salary Cap has to be an issue, it seems Ben Brown is looking for a fairly big final last major contract at 28 (wants 3 Mil over 4 years apparently)

Is that the type of coin you guys should be throwing around, given u still have to re sign De Goey and Moore ?
Its a no to Tex for mine. if Collingwood are serious about the next season or 2 while Pendlebury/Howe/Sidebottom are performing at a high level it should be Brown or potentially even Hogan.

Brown fits the age demographic perfectly. Pendlebury is Collingwoods oldest player, and after the schooling he gave Cripps today theres no reason he can’t keep performing at a high level for another 2-3 seasons.

The young footballers coming onto the list are good enough. To decide right now is the time to pack up and rebuild the list would be idiotic.

Last edited:
Out of all of the kfs how many of them could we get if we trade for them without losing our first rounders for this or next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back