List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you grossly underestimate the level of footy knowledge on here if you believe that. Of the people prepared to trade Grundy I think most would be prepared to take the hit to relieve us of his contract if given the choice right now. I would cop a McAsey for Grundy straight swap if Adelaide were picking up the entirety of his contract.
If Grundy’s contract hamstrung the club as it stands, I’d agree, but we could afford an $800k offer to JDG in addition to an inflated $600k for a mediocre player in McStay, so our cap situation seems to be fine at this point, even with Grundy’s salary.
Given that, I’m happy to back in Grundy to attempt to recapture his previous form, much like Cripps has this year after underperforming in 2020/21. The last thing I want to see is Grundy at his damaging best at another club while we’re stuck with a guy like McAsey if moving him on is unnecessary.

If Grundy’s contract hamstrung the club as it stands, I’d agree, but we could afford an $800k offer to JDG in addition to an inflated $600k for a mediocre player in McStay, so our cap situation seems to be fine at this point, even with Grundy’s salary.
Given that, I’m happy to back in Grundy to attempt to recapture his previous form, much like Cripps has this year after underperforming in 2020/21. The last thing I want to see is Grundy at his damaging best at another club while we’re stuck with a guy like McAsey if moving him on is unnecessary.
It’s not about hamstringing us it’s about opening up other options. Right now we’ve got a player on big money sitting in the stands that it’s negligible will improve us upon return. By moving his full contract on it would allow us to then throw $1m pa (Grundy’s money) at McDonald or Green post 2023 (as examples). For instance in the trade I proposed I don’t expect McAsey to offer much, but if it’s McAsey plus the ability to land a big FA… McAsey coming on is a bonus and the the right FA could push us over the edge.

FWIW I’m ok with Grundy recapturing his best elsewhere because I don’t think his best improves our current best 22.

Last edited:
I think you grossly underestimate the level of footy knowledge on here if you believe that. Of the people prepared to trade Grundy I think most would be prepared to take the hit to relieve us of his contract if given the choice right now. I would cop a McAsey for Grundy straight swap if Adelaide were picking up the entirety of his contract.
The problem is sco, nobody is picking up his contract for the same reason so many want to trade him. If Grundy were to go, it would be a treloar type deal. That’s just the unfortunate truth. It’s a huge dilemma, the contract stinks, we all know it but that’s FA. But there’s no easy way out of it.

The problem is sco, nobody is picking up his contract for the same reason so many want to trade him. If Grundy were to go, it would be a treloar type deal. That’s just the unfortunate truth
Correct that is the real guts of it and the unfortunate truth. If we found one though I definitely think most that believe in trading him would be pretty easily convinced.

You keep going on about how mediocre McStay is and yet 4 clubs are chasing his services and Brisbane want to keep so that doesn't exactly jive with your player assessment. Wright has put an offer in so it's up to him if he takes it or not, I'd be trusting his judgement over say yours.

Offload Grundys $950k contract so we can pay McStay $600k for 5 years? What a joke lol.

We should back in Grundy and Cameron so that we have the scariest Ruck/Forward combo in the league.

Thought we learnt from Mayne/QLynch/Clinton Young that we shouldn't target anymore average depth FAs. FA should only be used for megastars like Tom Lynch/Jeremy Cameron etc. Hit the draft instead. We've done a great refresh of the list hitting the draft and paying little for depth players (Cameron/Lipinski etc)

I’d be shocked if the club considered trading Grundy. His best absolutely improves us as a team as he offers far more than Cox.
Agree, the Club would not be proactive with this.
Would only happen if (a) another Club tabled an offer too good to refuse or (b) Grundy instigated a move by requesting a trade

I’d be shocked if the club considered trading Grundy. His best absolutely improves us as a team as he offers far more than Cox.
Dont think they will or could trade Grindy but they should - Cox's age probably saves him from more scrutiny but they should develop him in other ways i.e forward/ruck.

Dont think they will or could trade Grindy but they should - Cox's age probably saves him from more scrutiny but they should develop him in other ways i.e forward/ruck.
Grundy showed in the last quarter against Essendon what he’s capable of. If he can play at that level consistently he will make us even better.

It’s not about hamstringing us it’s about opening up other options. Right now we’ve got a player on big money sitting in the stands that it’s negligible will improve us upon return. By moving his full contract on it would allow us to then throw $1m pa (Grundy’s money) at McDonald or Green post 2023 (as examples). For instance in the trade I proposed I don’t expect McAsey to offer much, but if it’s McAsey plus the ability to land a big FA… McAsey coming on is a bonus and the the right FA could push us over the edge.

FWIW I’m ok with Grundy recapturing his best elsewhere because I don’t think his best improves our current best 22.

In the above scenario we also need a to find another Ruck given Cox’s age.

You are also discounting the Coaching groups ability to adapt Grundy’s game to benefit the team.
We have players like Sidey and WHE recapturing great form, making Grundy better is therefore definitely still on the cards.

If Grundy is still struggling this time next year then I suspect Fly would have no issue trading him. He would definitely not be thinking and an AA like Grundy is expendable at present.

It might be Grundy coming forward and wanting to go home.

1. Grundy should offer far more (than Cox) as both players are at opposite ends of the pay scale.

2.When was the last time we saw Grundy at his best for an extended period?

3. I would argue that Cameron/Cox at their best improves us as a team. The ability to clunk contested marks is pretty handy.

4. If Grundy stays then well and good. Hope he does well but more importantly the team thrives. If the opportunity presented for a trade, that allowed us to recruit a key forward or key defender or quality mid then i would take it. I think those players would improve the team more.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t be signing with a Club that has no qualms reneging on contracts, and is willing to jettison players first chance they get.

Yes and no. All AFL contracts are guaranteed anyway, so no-one gets to renege. We’re not like the NFL just yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another strong performance from Joel Amartey for the Swans in the VFL vs Sandringham. 5 goals, 23 touches and 7 marks, back up his bag last week of 5.3 against Williamstown.

Gives him 26 goas across 8 games this year in the VFL playing as a FWD/Ruck, surely a young player that would be looking for more opportunity elsewhere in 2023, particularly if Franklin goes around again?

You keep going on about how mediocre McStay is and yet 4 clubs are chasing his services and Brisbane want to keep so that doesn't exactly jive with your player assessment. Wright has put an offer in so it's up to him if he takes it or not, I'd be trusting his judgement over say yours.
I couldn’t care less what you think.

His numbers have never really stacked up as anything other than ok. He might be a great addition and if it happens I’ll trust the club. But it’s very hard to be convinced about McStay when you look at his career thus far.

It's easy to pot Grundy while he is sitting in the stands! It is very exciting at the moment that Cameron and Cox are getting the job done but I feel it's a bit of a false economy and I don't buy into the idea that their dominance of late means we don't need Grundy any more.
Let's not forget that on Sunday we were up against the mighty ruck duo of Lachlan Keeffe and Harry Himmelberg. The previous match it was Gawn but he was obviously injured early. And Jackson.
We should sit back and revel in the fact that in Grundy and Cameron we have an outstanding 1-2 punch for the next four years... a point of difference on other teams as we hopefully contend.

I feel his numbers are mediocre but there are mitigating factors. He is a selfless player who is the one doing the donkeywork.
He's the player doing a lot of groundwork to clear the forward line/create spillages for the likes of Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron and Bailey to cash in on. He's a great wingman (not in the positional sense, more like Goose to Mav!) but i feel as though we are in greater need of the main man.
Still, I will back in the club in to make the right call.

I wouldn’t be signing with a Club that has no qualms reneging on contracts, and is willing to jettison players first chance they get.
For the right money I would. Grundy’s getting paid no matter what and in this scenario unlike Treloar no one is pushing him out…

In the above scenario we also need a to find another Ruck given Cox’s age.

You are also discounting the Coaching groups ability to adapt Grundy’s game to benefit the team.
We have players like Sidey and WHE recapturing great form, making Grundy better is therefore definitely still on the cards.

If Grundy is still struggling this time next year then I suspect Fly would have no issue trading him. He would definitely not be thinking and an AA like Grundy is expendable at present.
Meek? Bryan? Hayes? Flynn? All of who are at least the standard of Lynch and played senior footy in 2022. What can Grundy specifically do to recapture his great form? Our system no longer relies on the ruckman as a linkman and if anything Grundy is more hinderance than help when he gets 10+ touches because of his abysmal ball use and slow decision making.

If Grundy’s still struggling this time next year there’s absolutely no way another club will take on his entire contract. Right now you could MAYBE (like stormskye posted no one will want to touch his contract) sell it as a guy adjusting to the new system needing a fresh start, but 12 months from now he’s officially in trouble. It’s why the media keep putting out articles on it. Out of curiosity let’s say Grundy’s had enough at Collingwood do you think there’s another club out there that would be prepared to take on his contract in full?

FWIW at least you didn’t run with the garbage about his marking improving to take him back to his best. There’s a snowflakes chance in hell he can ever do what Cameron did aerially yesterday.

FWIW at least you didn’t run with the garbage about his marking improving to take him back to his best. There’s a snowflakes chance in hell he can ever do what Cameron did aerially yesterday.

Correct. He’s not really your drop back and take a pack mark type ruckman. Never has been.

The link man is what he does best and being the “extra mid” at ground level. That part has me wondering if he could work forward for us better than he has in the past as there’s a requirement to make a contest and win at ground level.

Whatever the solution is I can’t see it being a trade, particularly to the SA clubs because to do that they’d have to think they are close in the next 3-4 years and I’m not sure either are.

We signed the contract and we either live with it or pay him to play elsewhere. I’d prefer to see us work with him to see if we can develop his game to suit ours. As someone mentioned the fact we could offer DeGoey $800K and McStay whatever he’s been offered means we aren’t as cooked by this contract as some might believe.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem is sco, nobody is picking up his contract for the same reason so many want to trade him. If Grundy were to go, it would be a treloar type deal. That’s just the unfortunate truth. It’s a huge dilemma, the contract stinks, we all know it but that’s FA. But there’s no easy way out of it.
Thanks yet again Ned. :mad:

In general, people are forgetting that Grundy is a good player. He's had some purple patch but we've had a sample space of a few games this year. Last year, the whole team looked ordinary and he was no exception. Grundy might not be perfect but he's far from terrible. I am calling for him to be a KPP as I recall him marking quite strongly. He even made the 2017 Mark of the Year Final!

I feel his numbers are mediocre but there are mitigating factors. He is a selfless player who is the one doing the donkeywork.
He's the player doing a lot of groundwork to clear the forward line/create spillages for the likes of Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron and Bailey to cash in on. He's a great wingman (not in the positional sense, more like Goose to Mav!) but i feel as though we are in greater need of the main man.
Still, I will back in the club in to make the right call.
Correct, plays for a control team in the Brions would thrive in a chaos team which is why an offers gone in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back