List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy to be corrected but thought that was the discussion around the 2021 MSD.

We weren't the only club who interviewed him.
I'm not sure of the rules or how it worked then, but they did delist him/pay him out.. so maybe that cuts him out of the list.

How likely is Taylor Walker to not re-sign with Adelaide? And anyone reckon he's a realistic target?

I wonder if the Stengel MSD non selection ultimately came down to salary cap?
At Adelaide he would have been on substantially more then MSD $40k-ish money for a half season. If he’d been stood down with pay, that pay would still have to count under the Crows cap, maybe he’s on $300k/annum, so $150k equivalent for a 1/2 season to go? Maybe even more.
But that means, he would have been kept on the list.
And he’s $100k up on MSD wages.

Stengel would have to quit, retire, rebuke the Crows wage and agree not to be paid, so they could regain cap space - potentially using it to front load someone else.
That may mean he put a price tag on himself so as not to be out of pocket.
He could have priced himself out of selection viability for us and others?
More so than not been eligible.

Purely hypothetical on my part, but makes commercial sense to me in light of salary cap rules and Collingwood’s position last year.

Maybe if he’d accepted a pay cut, he’d be a Pie today???

How likely is Taylor Walker to not re-sign with Adelaide? And anyone reckon he's a realistic target?
I’d say it’s unlikely he won’t sign with Adelaide, and even more unlikely we would target him.

I'm not sure of the rules or how it worked then, but they did delist him/pay him out.. so maybe that cuts him out of the list.
Nope, they couldn’t officially remove him from the list until October. He wasn’t eligible for the MSD.

Lippa on radio this afternoon indicated when Grundy comes back they'll split the ruck duties with Cameron and they'll work in tandem with one another. As you would expect to be the case.

In theory working in tandem and splitting duties sounds great.

The reality might be very different.

My real concern is the influence Grundy has when he is not in the ruck ie 50% of game time.

Idk I thought Buckley’s style was very control yet produced allot of clangers.
This is why I struggle to take in any of his commentary on the way we play. McRea took all of ten minutes to embrace the flaws in some of our players and Buckley spent ten years trying to perfect his ideal of how the game should be played. If ever there was a guy with too high a footy IQ it was Buckley!
In theory working in tandem and splitting duties sounds great.

The reality might be very different.

My real concern is the influence Grundy has when he is not in the ruck ie 50% of game time.
Unfortunately I think this will inevitably rob both of their chance to shine brightest. Again referencing Buckley, but he spoke yesterday of their attempts to use Grundy forward more in the past which failed. The club need to try it with both signed until 2025, but I’m not holding my breath…

Last edited:

AFL trade news: Collingwood’s pitch for Dan McStay could cancel pick for Jordan De Goey

Collingwood’s hard-line decision to postpone talks with Jordan De Goey could have massive ramifications s the club closes in on a superstar free agent.

Jon Ralph

June 28, 2022 - 10:36PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Collingwood’s hard-line decision to postpone talks with Jordan De Goey could result in the club losing him without compensation, as rivals grow certain the Pies have secured Lions free agent Dan McStay.

De Goey returned to Collingwood training on Tuesday, after spending time away from the club in various states of confusion, anger and contrition in the past week.

Those close to him believed he was simply exhausted from the intense scrutiny after his Bali escapades, but he will now attempt to put together a barn-storming finish to the season.

Collingwood could pay the price over its hard-line [PLAYERCARD]Jordan De Goey[/PLAYERCARD] stance. Picture: Michael Klein

Collingwood could pay the price over its hard-line Jordan De Goey stance. Picture: Michael Klein

Ideally, he will re-sign with the club, but if he took up a rival offer as a departing free agent, the Pies would normally accept a first-round compensation pick that would currently be pick 14, based on their ladder position.

Free agency compensation works on net gains and the Pies’ likely free agency acquisition of McStay would effectively cancel out De Goey’s compensation pick.

The Lions have grown pessimistic about their chances of keeping McStay, offered five seasons at $600,000 by the Pies as a second key forward, while Brisbane offered him four years at $500,000.

They have since offered a fifth season, but Melbourne rivals keen to pitch to McStay have been told not to bother, given his club has already been chosen. It is now accepted that it would take a change of mind for McStay to return to the Lions.

Brisbane Lions free agent [PLAYERCARD]Daniel McStay[/PLAYERCARD]. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL/Getty

Brisbane Lions free agent Daniel McStay. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL/Getty

Like Port Adelaide’s Karl Amon, he will simply try his best for his existing club before making a move back to a Victorian rival as a free agent.

McStay is an unrestricted free agent, so the Lions cannot match a deal for a player whose greatest goal-haul in a season is 28.10 last year.

But as the Pies develop an exciting band of small forwards including Ollie Henry, Jack Ginnivan, Beau McCreery and Jamie Elliott, he and Brody Mihocek would provide a valuable role bringing the ball to ground.

Collingwood’s initial offer for De Goey of about $1.6m over two seasons has now been retracted.

Collingwood CEO Mark Anderson. Picture: David Caird

Even as he awaited penalty for his Bali nightclub actions, clubs including Geelong and Port Adelaide did not rule out doing their due diligence on De Goey.
St Kilda has long had an interest in De Goey, but has angrily denied making a contract offer.

The perfect scenario for Collingwood would be re-signing De Goey and fellow free agent Jamie Elliott and then securing the services of 26-year-old McStay as a free agent.
McStay was part of a broadside from Lions great Jonathan Brown on Fox Footy on Monday night when he said McStay, Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood were not playing with the necessary key aggression of dominant key forwards.

Last edited:

AFL trade news: Collingwood’s pitch for Dan McStay could cancel pick for Jordan De Goey​

Collingwood’s hard-line decision to postpone talks with Jordan De Goey could have massive ramifications s the club closes in on a superstar free agent.

Jon Ralph

Collingwood’s hard-line decision to postpone talks with Jordan De Goey could result in the club losing him without compensation, as rivals grow certain the Pies have secured Lions free agent Dan McStay.

De Goey returned to Collingwood training on Tuesday, after spending time away from the club in various states of confusion, anger and contrition in the past week.

Those close to him believed he was simply exhausted from the intense scrutiny after his Bali escapades, but he will now attempt to put together a barn-storming finish to the season.

Collingwood could pay the price over its hard-line Jordan De Goey stance. Picture: Michael Klein

Ideally, he will re-sign with the club, but if he took up a rival offer as a departing free agent, the Pies would normally accept a first-round compensation pick that would currently be pick 14, based on their ladder position.

Free agency compensation works on net gains and the Pies’ likely free agency acquisition of McStay would effectively cancel out De Goey’s compensation pick.

The Lions have grown pessimistic about their chances of keeping McStay, offered five seasons at $600,000 by the Pies as a second key forward, while Brisbane offered him four years at $500,000.

They have since offered a fifth season, but Melbourne rivals keen to pitch to McStay have been told not to bother, given his club has already been chosen. It is now accepted that it would take a change of mind for McStay to return to the Lions.

Like Port Adelaide’s Karl Amon, he will simply try his best for his existing club before making a move back to a Victorian rival as a free agent.

McStay is an unrestricted free agent, so the Lions cannot match a deal for a player whose greatest goal-haul in a season is 28.10 last year.

But as the Pies develop an exciting band of small forwards including Ollie Henry, Jack Ginnivan, Beau McCreery and Jamie Elliott, he and Brody Mihocek would provide a valuable role bringing the ball to ground.

Collingwood’s initial offer for De Goey of about $1.6m over two seasons has now been retracted.

Even as he awaited penalty for his Bali nightclub actions, clubs including Geelong and Port Adelaide did not rule out doing their due diligence on De Goey.
St Kilda has long had an interest in De Goey, but has angrily denied making a contract offer.

The perfect scenario for Collingwood would be re-signing De Goey and fellow free agent Jamie Elliott and then securing the services of 26-year-old McStay as a free agent.
McStay was part of a broadside from Lions great Jonathan Brown on Fox Footy on Monday night when he said McStay, Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood were not playing with the necessary key aggression of dominant key forwards.

Yikes, 5 years at 600k is a lot of money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like we want McStay so we can use him as a battering ram. 5 years is a long time for a bloke to be smashing into bodies, he's going to be a favorite in the rehab group

Less than Zero chance we target Tex Walker.

I’m only for trading Grundy if it nets us a genuine key forward prospect. Dixon would be a poor choice with his Age & Body, but I’d be more tempted by Fogarty (improving week on week) thilthorpe (extremely unlikely to be traded) or Georgiades (my fav of the bunch)

Georgiades, Krueger and Cameron is a lovely mix, and improves us every year for the next 5.

Would pay some of Grundy’s salary to achieve this I think.
McDonald, Oscar Allen, TDK other nice targets, but you’d think Reg would only look to SA.

I’d also back the coaches in to improve Grundy’s forward game, and if that happens he and DC are a genuine point of difference.

Amazing how good the current list looks due to our playing style. Grundy’s talent and application means he’s a good chance of finding a key role in the new game plan. We’re too quick to forget how good he actually is.

A look back at ‘18 and how some pretty ordinary forwards flourished (JT, WHE, Stevo) alongside JDG, shows that style is the key.

Only want Mcstay if de Goey doesn’t go.

Sounds like we want McStay so we can use him as a battering ram. 5 years is a long time for a bloke to be smashing into bodies, he's going to be a favorite in the rehab group
Hopefully if this does happen Kruges can get his body right and give him a chop out. Be nice to see 2 mad bastards like Krueger and McCreery running around scaring the crap out of opposition defenders

Last edited:
I cannot stand Mathieson - would be gutted if we recruited him.
I hate him too, but it’s pretty hard to ignore that he got 40 disposals and 2 goals against our vfl side…

JDG must be staying with us.

why would we compromise a compo pick for a player that could bring us similar returns to Kreuger who we targeted and recruited only last year?
The Club may be ok for JDG to stay…but is JDG still ok to stay?
That‘s the unknown risk.

AFL trade news: Collingwood’s pitch for Dan McStay could cancel pick for Jordan De Goey​

Jon Ralph

Lmao at the desperate s**t that Ralph comes out with. He does realise that if Jordy decides he wants to leave we can match an offer and force a trade, does he not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back