Preview Collingwood vs Essendon, MCG, ANZAC Day @ 3:20 PM

Who gets more points?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Collingwood: Had an extremely productive game against Adelaide, beating last year's Grand Finalists by a whopping 8 goals in a complete upset. Steele Sidebottom was excellent with 43 touches and 12 clearances whilst ruckman Brodie Grundy collected 33 touches with his 40 hit outs. Young gun Jaidyn Stephenson kicked 5 goals for the Pies.

Essendon: Responded to their critics in the best fashion possible, comfortably beating the previously undefeated Port Adelaide by 4 goals. Cale Hooker's move to defence allowed Michael Hurley to have more freedom and collect 29 disposals, 15 coming from marks, whilst Jake "The Package" Stringer had his best outing in red and black, kicking 4 goals.

Head to Head (last 5)

Collingwood 2-3 Essendon

Form Guide

Collingwood: 2W 2L
Essendon: 1W 2L

Sportsbet odds

Collingwood: $1.69
Essendon: $2.18
Line: 5.5 ($1.92)

Possible sides

Collingwood vs Essendon

B: Hooker - Hartley - Baguley
F: Fasolo - Stephenson - Crocker
HB: Goddard - Hurley - Saad
HF: De Goey - Reid - Hoskin-Elliott
C: Parish - D Smith - Z Merrett
C: Phillips - Pendlebury - Sidebottom
HF: McDonald-Tipungwuti - Daniher - Fantasia
HB: Crisp - Scharenberg - Howe
F: Stewart - Stringer - Green
B: Maynard - Dunn - Murray
R: Bellchambers - Zaharakis - Heppell
R: Grundy - Treloar - Thomas
I: McGrath - Myers - Guelfi - Langford
I: Langdon - Brown - Cox - Wells

Collingwood defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line has been pretty effective so far this season, with a goals per inside 50 efficiency rating of 27%. Collingwood's defence has been much improved this season, only conceding a goal 23% of the time it enters their defensive 50, compared to 26% last season. Collingwood's issue will be the height of James Stewart and Joe Daniher, the pair of them 198 cm and 200 cm respectively whilst the Pies have nobody over the height of 192 cm in defence. Orazio Fantasia will be licking his lips in his 50th game at the prospect of facing Brayden Maynard again, especially after kicking 9 goals over 2 games against him last season, whilst Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti will likely get a favourable match up with Jack Crisp across half back, the former's speed will be tough for Crisp to handle.

Midfield/rucks battle

Essendon's pressure around the middle has been poor so far this season and it's shown in the numbers, the Dons being 15th for clearance differential, but a solid 7th for their contested possession differential. Collingwood are currently 2nd and 3rd in those statistics respectively, which shows where they're at in the midfield right now. Essendon must break even with the pies in this area, if they do they're half way to winning. Collingwood have 5 fit players averaging 3 or more clearances a game, and whilst Essendon have 7, only one of them averages 4 or more whereas Collingwood only has one averaging less than that. If Essendon can break even in this regard their quality of outside run through Zach Merrett, David Zaharakis and Darcy Parish should be able to get on top of Collingwood who's main runners are a dubious Daniel Wells and Tom Phillips. In terms of the ruck, Brodie Grundy would be favoured over Tom Bellchambers but the last time the two met Bellchambers had the better of the Pies ruck, and will need to do so again if Essendon are to win.

Collingwood forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defence has been under a lot of pressure this season, and has been a little poorer than last season, conceding a goal 25% of the time it enters defensive 50. Collingwood's forward line hasn't been fantastic so far, kicking a goal 24% of the time it enters their forward 50. Collingwood's most dangerous players so far have been Josh Thomas, who has kicked 9 goals, and Will Hoskin-Elliott with 7, two small/medium forwards. They're tough match-ups for the Bombers without anybody in that tweener size that are quick enough to take them, but expect Michael Hartley to take Ben Reid, Cale Hooker to take Mason Cox and Michael Hurley to take Jaidyn Stephenson, but don't be surprised if Paddy Ambrose gets a call up to play on one of Hoskin-Elliott or Thomas either.

X-Factor Player

Adam Saad has been a solid pick up for the Dons so far this year, but he'll never have experienced anything like ANZAC Day after playing for Gold Coast for 3 years so expect him to thrive on the atmosphere

Key stat

Collingwood: Forward Efficiency. Collingwood will most likely win the midfield battle so they must take advantage of that fact and put it on the scoreboard.

Essendon: Clearances. Collingwood's midfield is the biggest strength, if Essendon can shut it down they'll be half way to winning.

Tip

It's always hard to tip an ANZAC Day winner, but I still feel that Essendon are a stronger side than Collingwood despite their recent poor form, Essendon by 33, Heppell ANZAC Medal

Last edited:

Nice write up eth-dog. Got my tickets some time ago for this game - cant wait for it should be a great atmosphere. Not sure who goes out or comes in - they were all pretty decent against Port. Begley was OK but hes the most likely to come out I reckon, probably Langford comes in for him given he didn't play on the weekend. But Collingwoods small/medium forwards worry me so I'd probably go with McNeice or Ambrose instead. At this stage I'd have;-

OUT: Begley
IN: McNeice

Hurley Hartley Baguley
McGrath Hooker Saad
Guelfi Heppell Parish
Tippa Daniher Smith
Stewart Stringer Fantasia

Bellcho Zakka Z.Merrett

Bench from: Goddard Myers Green McNeice

Sidebottom will probably go to Heppell, Merrett or Zaharakis. His role on the weekend was to limit Sloane and then work off him, so I expect they'll aim for a repeat given how successfully he carried that out.

Id be tempted to only carry 2 KPD into this game.

Hartley played well on the weekend but collingwood have been playing with 2 max KPF since they have been in good form and their pressure is right back up to scratch.

There is a risk of our defence being too tall and collingwood run us around inside our D50.

Not a slight on Hartley, more horses for courses really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be tempted to bring in Langford for Begley but not really a necessity at this stage.

Hartley played well on the weekend but collingwood have been playing with 2 max KPF since they have been in good form and their pressure is right back up to scratch.

There is a risk of our defence being too tall and collingwood run us around inside our D50.

Or we could use Hartley on Cox and Hooker/Hurley as we did yesterday, one taking Reid and the other bossing with intercept marks.

I would like Ambrose in.

Hurley and Hooker are far more than just KPDs.

You’re far better thinking of Hartley as our only KPD.

Or we could use Hartley on Cox and Hooker/Hurley as we did yesterday, one taking Reid and the other bossing with intercept marks.
Playing four 199cm+ kpf/rucks in Westhoff/Dixon/Marshall and dougal howard allows you to do that

Cox/Reid.... Stephenson (not a tall), fasolo and sidebottom is a different kettle of fish altogether. Like i said it isnt cause of hartleys form, just stiff cause of matchups.

Didn’t Hurley play on Fasolo last year with Brown on Cox and Ambrose on Moore?

Playing four 199cm+ kpf/rucks in Westhoff/Dixon/Marshall and dougal howard allows you to do that

Cox/Reid.... Stephenson (not a tall), fasolo and sidebottom is a different kettle of fish altogether. Like i said it isnt cause of hartleys form, just stiff cause of matchups.
Stephenson is a tall. Plus Howard was playing defence when he wasn't rucking, and Westhoff spent significant time in defence as well.

Hartley takes Cox, Hooker takes Reid (who's mobility has been significantly reduced) and Hurley takes Stephenson.
Didn’t Hurley play on Fasolo last year with Brown on Cox and Ambrose on Moore?
Correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back