Traded Confirmed Trade: Collingwood trade Sharrod Wellingham to West Coast for #17

Remove this Banner Ad

WC did this trade to thank you for not using pick 25 in the 2010 draft.

Don't think we need Walsh and Hine if they let Malthouse overlook Darling to trade for Ceglar and Krakouer.

We had pick 25. Not even Hine could have predicted that every other club would pass over an obvious top 5 player (including draft dead beats Carlton). I mean how stupid is it to take Watson over him?

Wellingham is a solid player, not a star, that wanted to move - so I guess it helps WC a little. Think Collingwood would be very happy with the deal, could pick a gem in a good draft and they have done very well drafting lately, wouldnt bet against them. So I give a solid win to the Pies on this one.

This from a club that traded pick 11 for Brock Mclean.

I actually felt better after reading this.:D

Eagles pretty well know what they have got with pick 17 and will improve our side straight away. Cost less than Chick or Stenglein and will likely add a similar output / impact.

As close to fair as you could get, pick 20 and Eagles fans would be smiling a bit more but whats a couple of spots in a draft?

Happy to have Sharrod in the nest.:thumbsu:

Think the Eagles over paid a bit, thought somewhere between 21 - 26 was his worth ) thought they might have tried to "downgrade" their first rounder to to try and upgrade their 2nd rounder at least ( ie, traded Pick 17 & 38 to the Saints for pick 24 & 34 ). Not a lot in it i guess, but 17 seems a tad high.

Be interested to see how he goes in West Coast, is one of those players that you sometimes wonder if he will be able to transfer his style into another squad - or was just a case of the teams style & ethos suited him perfectly.

Pretty impressive both teams did the trade so easily and quickly though

To those WCE fans worried that they played overs
If Wellingham hits a Carlton player will it make you feel better?
Sharrod also plays really well on Judd

WC played overs for Wellingham ....... Nice mid but not worth a 1st rd pick esp after HIS OWN MANAGED valued him at a 2nd rd selection :eek:

That said, at leat it put a stop to the rumours of #4 for Wellingham and Dawes. That would have been INSANITY ..........

Good trade all round.

We probably realistically got overs for Wellingham, but ultimately West Coast have instantly upgraded their midfield.

I actually saw signs at the beginning of the year that Sharrod was set to really explode. However he had a few injury issues, then disciplinary issues and he just couldn't get consistent footy into him. By the end of the year he was shot and lacking confidence. He was also playing as a high half forward when it is clear to everyone that his best place is midfield.

I think the Magpies will be happy they got pick 17, especially because it is back to back with the existing pick. But if Wellingham does break out like I suspect he will, then the Eagles will be real winners here.

Ultimately some sensible and logical trading from both sides. Neither side trying to ask for more than they should.

WC played overs for Wellingham ....... Nice mid but not worth a 1st rd pick esp after HIS OWN MANAGED valued him at a 2nd rd selection :eek:

That said, at leat it put a stop to the rumours of #4 for Wellingham and Dawes. That would have been INSANITY ..........
I'm also glad to see the end to those rumours, however i wouldn't base his value on what his manager stated. Of course he is going to downplay his value to ensure a trade is done. If he got up and said he was a star potential top 5 pick, then that just encourages Collingwood to play hardball

5.3 kicks a game.
Pretty impressive stat, right there.
Slightly confused why you stopped at Wellingham, why not go the whole hog and say he's better than Daisy & Pendles too?
Find us another stat like how many times he has started sub please ash chua..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I
Wellingham has solid, consistent, AFL form over 3-4 years, and his name on a flag.
Cripps has played 15 games and not made a massive impact.
There is just no comparison you can make there.
I was talking about cripps potential vs wellas. But each to their own, but off topic so ill leave it at that

WC did this trade to thank you for not using pick 25 in the 2010 draft.

Don't think we need Walsh and Hine if they let Malthouse overlook Darling to trade for Ceglar and Krakouer.

Did you guys do the Jacobs trade in return for them letting Kane Lucas slip through to you guys?

Oh wait, you took Kane Lucas before their pick didn't you? So why'd you just give them Jacobs if you already let them have Talia...?

I actually felt better after reading this.:D

Eagles pretty well know what they have got with pick 17 and will improve our side straight away. Cost less than Chick or Stenglein and will likely add a similar output / impact.

As close to fair as you could get, pick 20 and Eagles fans would be smiling a bit more but whats a couple of spots in a draft?

Happy to have Sharrod in the nest.:thumbsu:
17 will end up as 20

even if it was 23 the material difference is negligable.

Both teams can be pleased.

Probably a 50/50 chance that pick 17 will be as good Wellingham, but in Hine we trust as the saying goes.

Wellingham is capable of some brilliance few players in the league are capable of, but doesn't put it together often enough to be a star. I hope he finds that consistency at the Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back