List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Player agents need to stop promising that they can guarantee the players stay in state....including WA agents. Only got to look at Jones and Busslinger disappointment last night to see they were told otherwise.

???

Busslinger said during the week he was expecting to have to move interstate since Freo had no early picks and West Coast didn’t need key backs. Then he made basically the same comments after he got drafted and said he was happy to be going to the Bulldogs and play in the “home of football”.

Jones just seemed shocked to be taken that high.

The guy that looked most disappointed was Wardlaw having to go to North.

So we now have a contingent of young bulls with big bodies that we can play together so they learn to gel as a unit

Culley::whitecheck:
Ginbey: :whitecheck:
Hewitt::whitecheck:

On paper, this look highly promising

The next question is whether Simpson is prepared to ditch seniority and his credits in the bank selection policy so we can develop these kids where they need to be developed: On the ball

That would mean for example, a guy like potentially Shuey, should be either playing on the half forward flank, or, starting on the bench to give these kids precedence to develop

This should not mean that Simpson plays these kids on the half forward flank whilst giving Shuey precedence until he retires

O'Brien has done his bit here. Now its over to the coach
If you wanted all of culley , Hewett and Ginbey to gel as an on ball unit wouldn't you put them in the wafl as the first step ?
Start dominating the wafl and you can play afl .

Or just do what we have always done and play them in the afl in lesser roles to gain experience then send them back to wafl to work on their deficiencies .

Slotting someone into the midfield usually takes a block of preseason training and a few years

Yeo is a far superior HB than midfielder anyway.

Any campaigner wanting to quote AA can fight me

Insofar as where can we extract maximum Yeo for the next couple of years I definitely agree. He was a beast in the midfield too, but struggled to work through a tag.

Seeing him return to the side playing HBF and playing it well, I think that's the look we stick to. It might be worse off temporarily for the team to have one less seasoned body in the midfield but it will fast track our progress in the long term.

Best 22 thoughts? (on what we have drafted so far)

B: Hurn, Barass, Cole
HB: Yeo, McGovern, Duggan
C: Gaff, Kelly, Hough
HF: Hewett, Darling, Cripps
F: Ryan, Allen, Petrucelle

Foll: NN, Shuey, Culley

Bench: Ginbey, Rotham, B. Williams, Chesser
Sub: Waterman

Add someone like Charlie Clark instead on Petrucelle maybe?

Still have the likes of Jones, Clark, Foley, XON, Witho, SPS, Bazzo, West and L. Edwards.

Starting to look a little better, especially if B. Williams can develop into a good ruckman with fwd craft.

???

Busslinger said during the week he was expecting to have to move interstate since Freo had no early picks and West Coast didn’t need key backs. Then he made basically the same comments after he got drafted and said he was happy to be going to the Bulldogs and play in the “home of football”.

Jones just seemed shocked to be taken that high.

The guy that looked most disappointed was Wardlaw having to go to North.
I was shocked to hear Jones picked round 1 . I tuned out and watched a tv show after watching Sydney spit the dummy and seeing Allen gone .

Still have the likes of Jones, Clark, Foley, XON, Witho, SPS, Bazzo, West and L. Edwards.

Starting to look a little better, especially if B. Williams can develop into a good ruckman with fwd craft.
Missing Hunt from the team who would surely be in the best 22

Competition for spots should start to heat up.

Backs: Hurn / Barass / Cole
Duggan / McGovern / Yeo
Mid: Gaff / Ginbey / Hunt
Forward: Cripps / Allen / Hewett
Ryan / Darling / Jones
Foll: Naitanui / Shuey / Culley

Bench: B. Williams / Chesser / Hough / Sheed

Lot of options. Players in the WAFL pushing for selection too. XON looks beefed up and hopefully ready to cement a spot in B22, we’ll see…

Yeo is a far superior HB than midfielder anyway.

Any campaigner wanting to quote AA can fight me

Depends on his role in the midfield.

For all his physical prowess - he lacks of natural reading of the ball, even at stoppages hurts him.

His best football was lined up on the games elite where they would take him to the ball and he was able to exploit them physically.

When he has to hunt the ball himself he can get lost.

Playing half back - the game is all in front of him and becomes easier to read.

Sheed missing from your list.

This is not based on much at all, but now that we’ve secured Ginbey and Hewett, I’m quietly confident we will win our next premiership before the purple masturbators have anything in the trophy cabinet.

You will need to change the username :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... and Rankine, Bruhn, and Jackson; that's this season. Last season you had Cerra and Clark, and previous to that Caldwell as first round picks who demanded trades from their drafting club before earning any semblance of free-agency. Of those 8, five were top-5 selections.

The AFL's player movement system has made it pretty risky to draft anyone with a hint on go-home factor these days as it sets a club's rebuilding process back another year each time they lose a player.

Freo with Cerra may be the exception because they got the Brodie bargain, but one year later they had 5 other players doing the right thing and requesting to get the hell out of there.
I'm glad that we picked up who we did but not because of the go home factor. I feel like that certain clubs are far more impacted than others. How many players from Geelong, Richmond, Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide, Sydney, us and even Essendon lose many players to the go home factor? Sure Judd left and a few others but not that many. Money and opportunity yes but I feel like to go home factor is mostly affects the historically less successful and smaller clubs.

This would be my thoughts on B22 so far

B: Hurn, Barass, Duggan
HB: Yeo, McGovern, Hunt
C: Gaff, Culley, Hough
HF: Shuey, Darling, Cripps
F: Ryan, Allen, Waterman

Foll: NN, Kelly, Sheed

Bench: Ginbey/Hewett, Cole, B. Williams, Chesser

Changes from your team;
IN - Sheed, Hunt, Waterman
OUT - Ginbey/ Hewett, Rotham, Petrucelle

Bazzo unlucky to miss but cant fit in at full strength.

Toss up between Waterman and Petrucelle for the fwd pocket spot. Would hope we get someone in the draft today who can challenge for that spot early. Would be nice if we could get our B22 on the park this year.

Last edited:
The new breed
Culley 193
Hough 190
Ginbey 189
L.Edwards 188
Chesser 186
Hewett 185
X.O'Neill 185

Compare it to the old guard
Yeo 190
Shuey 183
Kelly 182
Gaff 183
Sheed 185

We've finally upsized in the middle of the ground.
If he comes good Clark at 193cm will add to that new bruiser brigade.

Whatever happens tonight I’m finding it hard to see how we stuff up pick 20. If GWS take George then that’s gives us J.Ryan or C.Clarke and vice versa. We may even get a offer the move slightly back with a future 3rd or 2nd thrown in which I wouldn’t mind. Gives us an even better hand next year which we could us to snag that GC First they most likely will be selling.

1xR1, 3xR2’s, 2xR3’s & 1xR4 is a juicy hand with the potential too get even better via player trades, free agency or buying into the draft with future picks. A hand like that in a strong draft could really set us up.

Would Harry Cole be worth picking up late or as a rookie. I’ve only seen him in one champs game but he was up and about in it.

NB yellow looking too canary and not enough Gold
On the guernsey? That's a Castore/Sekem special without a logo.

The polo? That's vivid. Wouldn't mind me one of them

Ginbey should wear an XXS and show off those guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back