List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Well if Darling retires, maybe Gaff will take the hint too.

But in all honesty. Allen, Darling & Maric as tall fwds how does Waterman play?

Waterman needed JK to retire. Now he needs Darling to retire too because Maric is ahead of him. In the end Waterman is a good WAFL Full Forward but not the equivalent in AFL and cant beat out Half Fwd/Mid types for that 3rd tall role. He is not versatile enough, completely lacks any sort of Midfield/Wing craft.

Exciting times. Id rather use JD's Money.

JD retires and remember Waterman is likely on the LTI list with his illness Maric will be getting plenty of opportunities.

Claims we want to play Bailey more as a forward which would infer we are chasing a ruck to step straight in the #1 spot. A low cost option.

Leaves 4 in B Williams, J Williams, O Allen, Maric as our tall forwards.

Culley at 193cm is the same height as Maric.

Livingston as a rookie woukd be nice. Can see us going tall in the rookie and train on periods.

IF Naughton wanted to WCE come this year how could we possibly get him. Would only work if we decided Reid was too much of a flight risk.

A deal like this COULD work. Would likely be more parts involved.

WCE Give: 1, 38
Dogs Give: Naughton, 10, 17, Bulldogs F1

We then use 10 & 17 to get the Suns Pick 4 as WCE_phil has suggested will likely happen.

Overall it would look something like;

WCE Out: 1,38
WCE In: Naughton, 4, Dogs F1

Naughton can play down back which I believed is his preferred position meaning we can swing McGovern forward which might help his body. Pick 4 would hopefully get us Mckercher as I think we'd pass on Curtin if we got Naughton & you can bank that F1 or use it in a swap for another first rounder this year for a club looking to bank points for next year like say Carlton's Pick 14.

Personally I'd rather deal with the Dogs than bloody Melbourne if we are giving up Pick 1.
Booooh

booooooohhhhhh

Wash your mouth out son

Mate take your blue and gold glasses off .
Both drafted in 2017 Naughton is 8 months younger than Allen

Naughton 123 games
Allen 82 games

Naughton 191 career goals 1.6 per game
Allen 119 career goals 1.5 per game

Arguably both teams have made i GF since they were drafted and probably played the same amount of finals .

Naughton is a gun and only 23 .

Pair him with Allen and with have a dream pair of forwards till 2030
With no one to kick it to them

Well if Darling retires, maybe Gaff will take the hint too.

But in all honesty. Allen, Darling & Maric as tall fwds how does Waterman play?

Waterman needed JK to retire. Now he needs Darling to retire too because Maric is ahead of him. In the end Waterman is a good WAFL Full Forward but not the equivalent in AFL and cant beat out Half Fwd/Mid types for that 3rd tall role. He is not versatile enough, completely lacks any sort of Midfield/Wing craft.

Exciting times. Id rather use JD's Money.
Why on earth would JD retire?

Has a 2 year deal worth about $800 000 a year.
Is closing on on 300 games as well.

Last edited:
Naughton is a backman, admittedly he's great at bringing the ball to ground but he's just another Bevo misplacement.
I was under the impression that Naughton didn't want to play back and had said to the club that he wanted to play as a forward, a la Lobb.

Heard it a while back somewhere around the traps.

Man, Quarters & Barra is at the point where it’s unlistenable… Quarters ✅ Barra ❌
Barra is a bloody boofhead on that show & has ruined the good chat Duff & Quarters had
Agreed, the biggest downgrade in 2023.

"You know what I mean"
"Cuzzie this, cuzzie that"
"I was the emergency in that grand final"
"Buddy Franklin is a Perth demons legend"

His facts are always wrong too. Something Duff was always spot on about.

Man, Quarters & Barra is at the point where it’s unlistenable… Quarters ✅ Barra ❌
Barra is a bloody boofhead on that show & has ruined the good chat Duff & Quarters had
Ya it's objectively bad now if you're looking for hoity toity concepts like 'insight' or 'substance' or 'good'.

But I am loving this bit where 7/West puts out a podcast in which one of their presenters, Barra, relentlessly trolls/bullies their chief sports reporter for two hours every week.

Waterman did have a contract in front of him earlier this year before he got sick but chose to wait til the end of the year.

Would be a little nervous now, you’d think. But I do hope he gets back. I do think he offers us something a bit different and with Darling no guarantee of being fully fit he’s a decent enough replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waterman did have a contract in front of him earlier this year before he got sick but chose to wait til the end of the year.

Would be a little nervous now, you’d think. But I do hope he gets back. I do think he offers us something a bit different and with Darling no guarantee of being fully fit he’s a decent enough replacement.

I don’t care either way as I’m fine with him staying as depth, but I wouldn’t mind trading him for a pick around 35-45, more points to go after the Suns pick 4.

Apart from goal kicking accuracy which Allen is way above average in the league , naughton has him covered in most other areas .

They had about the same amount of shots on goal

Naughton also played further up the ground this year having to share the forward line with lobb and ugle-hagden .
40 + goals 3 years running for a tall forward not even 24 is pretty bloody good .

I wouldn't give up pick 1 for him but happy to involve our future first in a trade with something else coming back with Naughton
That comparison totally ignores the fact that the guy who had the slight edge in stats played in a winning team while the guy with the slightly worse stats played in the worst team.
And the slightly better stats were generated from more than twice as many inside 50's, i.e. opportunities.

If OA had been playing for the Dogs and Naughton playing for us and relying on our forward supply to generate stats I feel that OA would have thrashed him in virtually every stat. 'Bont to Allen, goal' would have been heard more than once.

Travis Colyer and Nathan Wilson have both been delisted by Freo whilst still involved in the final’s campaign for their aligned club

Any interest in signing them as DFAs

If you answer yes to this question, expect a ban

No to either.The only one i would be interested was Hamling if the Barrass to Sydney trade eventuated but he seems to have escaped.

It was a joke. I don’t want them either

It maybe you didn’t read the fine print at the bottom like AsterixTheGaul and Hap Hapablap who gave me a big thumbs down

Or maybe they’re keen on picking them up and didn’t like my banning threat

It was a joke. I don’t want them either

It maybe you didn’t read the fine print at the bottom like AsterixTheGaul and Hap Hapablap who gave me a big thumbs down

Or maybe they’re keen on picking them up and didn’t like my banning threat
We need Wilson bridal photo again.

So I can barf my guts up.

I'm not doubting Allen's credentials but you guys are talking like Naughton is a spud and not fit to lace Allen's boots .

If Naughton leaves dogs will want a lot for him and rightly so he is a gun

Naughton 2021 47 goals 2022 51 goals 2023 44 goals .

He is not even 24 until the end of November .
Happy for the dogs to keep naughton

View attachment 1791347
Apart from goal kicking accuracy which Allen is way above average in the league , naughton has him covered in most other areas .

They had about the same amount of shots on goal

Naughton also played further up the ground this year having to share the forward line with lobb and ugle-hagden .
40 + goals 3 years running for a tall forward not even 24 is pretty bloody good .

I wouldn't give up pick 1 for him but happy to involve our future first in a trade with something else coming back with Naughton
Having the same amount of shots on goal doesn't help your argument if naughton sprayed a bunch of them, it also doesn't include OOTF which would make his accuracy even worse.

Aside from tackles and goal assists, which stats of any significance does naughton have him covered in? I'd argue that if Allen wasn't playing in one of the most dysfunctional teams of all time he'd probably have matched naughton for goal assists as well, and the ball probably spent far more time in the dogs forward half than ours this year, which wouldn't have helped Allen's tackle count.

I agree naughton is good, and I'd like him in the side at some point if possible but you said he was ahead of allen as a forward, which just isn't the case. Allen should kick 70+ goals a year in a half decent side, if not more, especially given this was his first full year played as a forward.

Giving up valuable trade capital for a mid 20s forward is not smart use of resources given we have far more pressing needs elsewhere and we may be able to pick him up for free in a couple of years anyway when we are getting closer to contending.

Having the same amount of shots on goal doesn't help your argument if naughton sprayed a bunch of them, it also doesn't include OOTF which would make his accuracy even worse.

Aside from tackles and goal assists, which stats of any significance does naughton have him covered in? I'd argue that if Allen wasn't playing in one of the most dysfunctional teams of all time he'd probably have matched naughton for goal assists as well, and the ball probably spent far more time in the dogs forward half than ours this year, which wouldn't have helped Allen's tackle count.

I agree naughton is good, and I'd like him in the side at some point if possible but you said he was ahead of allen as a forward, which just isn't the case. Allen should kick 70+ goals a year in a half decent side, if not more, especially given this was his first full year played as a forward.

Giving up valuable trade capital for a mid 20s forward is not smart use of resources given we have far more pressing needs elsewhere and we may be able to pick him up for free in a couple of years anyway when we are getting closer to contending.
All im saying is if Naughton wants to come home I'm willing to put our future 1st on the table as part of the deal.

Also mid 20s forward? Naughton is 23

All im saying is if Naughton wants to come home I'm willing to put our future 1st on the table as part of the deal.

Also mid 20s forward? Naughton is 23

Definitely.

With one clear caveat. He doesn't choose where he plays. We do.

Could see Naughton as a serious upgrade on Hunter as a swing man.

Sure whilst Gov and Barrass are both fit and playing he can play forward. But if we are a CHB down he goes back.

Post Gov retiring g I'd play him CHB and swing him forward in games we are struggling.

Thoughts on Jack Billings for West Coast IF he was willing to move to WA?
28 years of age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back