Opinion Umpiring: Corruption or Incompetence, or both

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure it was that pest Sean Denham not Misiti.

If Andrew Moore got 3 weeks to make an example of, then Hawkins will get weeks. This is what was ruled
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...d/news-story/3a15db93a324005df8655cae11ea2520
But SANFL tribunal chairman Ian White rejected Moore’s testimony that he had been re-enacting his altercation with Caldwell, ruling that he had consciously pushed the umpire with minimal force.

“Other umpires could easily have been intimidated,’’ White said. “The SANFL has to be seen to take a stance against umpires being pushed by players.”
Yes it was Sean Denham

Have people forgotten that Gavin Wanganeen missed our first ever AFL game because he put his hand very gently on an umpire's shoulder as they were walking off at the end pf a trial match?
I though he hit someone. There you go.

He didn't gently push an umpire. He grabbed an umpire around the throat. If it wasn't for the fact we were the new team and he was pretty much the only recognised great player then he would have got about 2 months off

I wonder what the umpire said or did to get that reaction out of Gav? He seems calm generally.

Was one of those last years final?
I doubt it. We certainly weren't umpired out of that game despite the bad late call. I reckon we probably got the rub of the green slightly overall and couldn't take advantage.

2007 v Bulldogs
2011 v Essendon
2013 v North
2015 v Carlton

Those are the 4 games that I believe we were the better side and would have won if not for being umpired out of the game.

I wonder what the umpire said or did to get that reaction out of Gav? He seems calm generally.

Gav was demonstrating what an opponent just did to him. There was no malice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spent many years umpiring after hanging the boots up. Never played at the top level but umpired in both city and country football. I’ve always felt that the best umpires are people that have played the game. They just seem to be able to apply a bit more common sense when making decisions.

I’m certainly not saying that all umpires are bad, but there are enough ex fit AFL players who would be able to slip straight into umpiring. Probably wouldn’t get overawed by a screaming 50,000 crowd either.

You are correct Sir... goes with Soccer as well. I play and ref... and some of the best refs are ex-players

I doubt it. We certainly weren't umpired out of that game despite the bad late call. I reckon we probably got the rub of the green slightly overall and couldn't take advantage.

2007 v Bulldogs
2011 v Essendon
2013 v North
2015 v Carlton

Those are the 4 games that I believe we were the better side and would have won if not for being umpired out of the game.

I agree with the bottom 3 games plus 1998 v West Coast

In '95, I went to Melbourne for a footy weekend with a few mates. Went to the MCG for a Friday night game between Richmond and Essendon, the game ended in a draw.

Gav got knocked down and in the process of getting up threw a huge punch which flushed the Richmond player. No free, no report.

Mark LeCras went well over his 30 seconds when having a shot on goal but the umpire did not call play on even though Port players and the crowd were screaming "Play on!" West Coast then scored a behind.

There was also the Ryder ruck infringement where the umpire didn't see him nominate for the boundary throw in. Ryder put his hand up but the umpire turned his head away at that very moment. Free kick against Ryder and they score a behind.

Then there was also one where deep in the Eagles pocket, the ball comes off Polecs thigh and they called it out on the full. Shot on goal and they scored a behind from that as well.

So we shouldn't have even gone into extra time in the first place to get the Shuey kick after the siren.

Was one of those last years final?

Probably belongs in the unpopular opinion thread, but the umpiring in last year's final favoured us I thought.

We were the better team by far, and had the best of the umpiring. We absolutely fell apart in front of goal. Kick straight, take opportunities and we win that by 40+.

2007 v Bulldogs
2011 v Essendon
2013 v North
2015 v Carlton

I can't remember all the games back 2011 or earlier, but I'd say North and Carlton would be close to the top of the list. I reckon I'd add to that:

2014 r15 vs Adelaide (final free kick count was 24-11 to the Crows and they were by far the more undisciplined, playing from behind team. should have been significantly in our favour. I remember watching that one with my mouth open)
2016 vs Carlton 26-11 free kick count, honestly probably not as bad as the others listed but in a 2 point game we win that for sure with fair umpiring.

The other way I'm sure we got at least one win over the Dees through dodgy umpiring. Hard to remember too many though as they don't leave scars. I doubt it's more than 5-10 either way over the last 5 years.

So why was it worthy of 2 months off?

because you can't touch an umpire, and the look of a player grabbing an umpire by the throat was extraordinary. Greg Williams got 9 weeks just a couple of weeks later for his incident

What you'll never be able to statistically allow for is the behavior modification that results.

Port get a bunch of frees against early so go back into their shell yet still lose the free kick count.

Oppo gets away with blind murder so keep pushing the barrow yet still wins it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In 2005, after 4 years of non-Victorian premierships in a row, and 3 consecutive Port Adelaide minor premierships, our free kick differential against Victorian opponents was minus 70, yet against non-Victorian opponents it was zero.

You can make up your own minds as to whether that can just “happen”, whether that is a symptom of bias, or blatant corruption.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back