Crawf's redraft SHS dangerfield v cotchin

Remove this Banner Ad

hardball01

Debutant
May 4, 2008
moonee ponds
AFL Club
Richmond
on Sunday the 14th August, Shane Crawford in his usual Sunday column redrafted the players over the last 5 years in the order as to which he would pick them right now.

my problem is, the 2007 draft in which cotchin was drafted by the tigers with pick two, was drawn like this:

1.cyril rioli
2. matthew kreuzer
3. harry taylor
4. patrick dangerfield
5. Trent Cotchin

for me, dangerfield is a footballer with a bucket load of potential but is inconsistent and at times this season has not delivered when his team has needed him to step up this year.

cotchin will probably win the club best and fairest after having his first ever preseason, has captained richmond in a few games with season, and at times had his hand in winning games off his own boot.

i am open to anyone trying to discuss this decision, or even discuss what their order would be? do you think cotchin should be higher?

I agree that was a horrible call.

I would also have Cotch in front of Harry Taylor and Kruzer...both who i rate very highly.

I would definitely have Cotchin above Harry Taylor, and arguably above Kreuzer aswell.

This just shows the stupidity of Crawford, anyone who puts Dangerfield ahead of Cotchin is a serious idiot.

cyril and harry taylor however are premiership players, im guessing that may push them up the re draft

cyril i think is a superstar no doubt but needs to stay fit and become more consistent - hawks supporters wont like this comment i can assure you

harry and kruz are both key position, and kruz can also play ruck so i dont know maybe that is why they're up the order. i am only saying this because he has chosen joshua kennedy in front of marc murphy in one of the earlier drafts...

coth has been fantastic second to cyril atm but reckon he will surpass him:thumbsu: dangerfields good and could have torn many games apart but keeps missing some very getable golas. and is much less consistent than cotchin, and danger doesnt cop the number 1 tag.

Crawf's always had it in for the Tigers I reckon, wouldn't be surprised if that played a part in his ordering.

No problems with Rioli being No. 1, is a freak and his best is the best of that group. Cotchin is consistently better IMO, and still has a lot of upside with regards leadership and skills, having missed quite a few games.

I think Taylor deserves to be No.2 simply due to current output (three very good seasons), but I expect that will change. He is a very good KP back man, but well, let's face it, he is a back man.

This year alone has put Cotchin clearly at No. 3, Kreuzer was unfortunate to get injured when he did.

With Dangerfield, it's still all about potential.

As it stands now for mine:
1. Rioli
2. Taylor
3. Cotchin
4. Kreuzer
5. Dangerfield

In five years time:
1. Cotchin (partially biased, struggling to split him and Rioli)
2. Rioli
3. Kreuzer
4. Taylor
5. Dangerfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crawf's always had it in for the Tigers I reckon, wouldn't be surprised if that played a part in his ordering.

No problems with Rioli being No. 1, is a freak and his best is the best of that group. Cotchin is consistently better IMO, and still has a lot of upside with regards leadership and skills, having missed quite a few games.

I think Taylor deserves to be No.2 simply due to current output (three very good seasons), but I expect that will change. He is a very good KP back man, but well, let's face it, he is a back man.

This year alone has put Cotchin clearly at No. 3, Kreuzer was unfortunate to get injured when he did.

With Dangerfield, it's still all about potential.

1. Rioli
2. Taylor
3. Cotchin
4. Kreuzer
5. Dangerfield

In five years time:
2. Rioli
3. Kreuzer
4. Taylor
5. Dangerfield
This.

Any objective person couldn't possibly put Cotchin ahead of Rioli or Taylor based on their output to date, but I don't think it will be long before he overtakes Taylor and pulls level with Rioli.

Different player to Rioli and will be so difficult to tell the difference even when Cotchin has had even time on the field.

Cotchin has a bit of Greg Williams about him in the way he uses the ball.

Tends to look for those damaging handballs to a man in space as opposed to the usual sideways handpasses to no advantage that have crippled our club for so long.

Williams worked with Watson so I wonder if he would work with Cotchin.

Crawford is simply supplementing his attempt to be a funny man with the required serious article that I dont believe he is up to.

5 Jewels in that draft though.

In five years time:
2. Rioli
3. Kreuzer
4. Taylor
5. Dangerfield

Kreuzer will be the player all clubs wished they had in thier team in five years time. Even more so than Cotchin and Rioli.

Hate to say it but he was worth the tank.

[B]This year alone has put Cotchin clearly at No. 3, Kreuzer was unfortunate to get injured when he did.[/B]With Dangerfield, it's still all about potential.

1. Rioli
2. Taylor
3. Cotchin
4. Kreuzer
5. Dangerfield

In five years time:
2. Rioli
3. Kreuzer
4. Taylor
5. Dangerfield

AS you rightly point out, I would suspect Cotchin has gone past Kreuzer this season as te Blues big man was unlucky to be injured.
But I guess when you weigh up the rankings, Cotchin's first two seasons and part of season three were ruined largely by injury, at the same time Kreuzer was playing good football for the Blues.
I think judging on output over four year, Cotchin would be at 5 as the others have simply played more football. A year or two's time, with Cotchin being injury free and playing full seasons, he'll be ahead of them all.

AS you rightly point out, I would suspect Cotchin has gone past Kreuzer this season as te Blues big man was unlucky to be injured.
But I guess when you weigh up the rankings, Cotchin's first two seasons and part of season three were ruined largely by injury, at the same time Kreuzer was playing good football for the Blues.
I think judging on output over four year, Cotchin would be at 5 as the others have simply played more football. A year or two's time, with Cotchin being injury free and playing full seasons, he'll be ahead of them all.

I'd be inclined to agree with this.

Rioli is close to my favourite player, oozes class and close to a superstar in terms of pure talent. Getting a good tank going too.

I didn't watch much of Richmond before I met my girlfriend but since becoming more involved with them I've become highly impressed with a lot of your younger brigade, particularly Cotchin and Martin. I believe with another season or so under them both will be stars, but in the context of the thread I think he'll pull level with Cyril in terms of skill, and surpass him in terms of importance to his team. Don't get me wrong, Cyril is essential to our structures and goal scoring, but Cotch is the kind of player you can build a team around.
Future leader and a club champion who'll win more than a fair share of accolades.

Just quietly I think the Hawks, Blues and Tiges did very well for themselves with their prospective picks. A toss up between who I'd take out of Kruze and Cotch but given our seemingly never ending amount of mids, probably Kruze. Cotch will be a better player though.

Crawford as a fanatical Tigers supporter in his youth is giving us a free kick by underrating the value of Cotch.

He really is giving as a helping hand by talking the spotlight off Cotch for our benefit to be honest

And putting it on Rioli who is a player from the club which he loves today?

We have given him the captaincy, but Crawfords lower rating will take the spotlight off him and opposition teams will no longer be in the know?

Must be a good draft if the second best clearance player in the league isn't even in the top 5 players.

crawf= master troll

puopolo (or how ever you spell it) in front of conca....he will be lucky to play 30 games for the hawks..he is what 26 or 27

can not remember who he had in front of vicks..but prety sure a couple were just so so..i think watts was at 5..has watts shown more that vicks? on a par i would of thought..how many goals has vicks kicked this year..he is having a shocker;)

fyfe in front of matin ? really

he did get one year spot on....JOH could not make his top five :p

From what I understand, Richmond were going to pick Cotchin before Kreuzer irrespective of the outcome of the Kreuzer Cup.

Right now, it would be :

1. Cotchin
2. Rioli
3. Taylor
4. Kreuzer
5. Dangerfield

If Rioli can keep fit he could replace Cotchin, but the RUBBISH Sheahan and company are claiming that Cyril is better than Maurice proves they never saw Maurice play.

I don't rate Taylor as high as some as it is easy to play well in the best backline in the comp if you are a loose man behind the play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back